Runs for a few seconds only - Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

I recently bought a 2008 kfx450r with a full Yoshimura exhaust, K&N airfilter, removed lid, and power commander. It ran very well for about a week and now I am having trouble with it.

It starts right up but only idles for 3 seconds before dying. If I start it and nail the throttle I can get it to run for up to 20 seconds but it dies after that (I dont think its too good to do that anyways).

I tried using the high idle/choke knob and it does the same thing. I unplugged the power commander and the problem still exists. The TPS voltage was at .55 so I adjusted it up to .68. I checked the sparkplug and it looked OK but I replaced it anyways. I'm not sure if it's related but when I turn the key and then slide the switch near the start button the fuel pump runs for about 5 seconds and then stops.

These problems started yesterday but the day before when I was riding it it would die after running hard and then slowing down or taking turns.

I have a feeling it's either something really simple like a shorted wire somewhere or something major like the fuel pump. Any ideas?? I love the quad but I just want to ride it!!
nobodyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check the vehicle down sensor..if it's out of place it will prevent the quad from running
offroadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Sep 1 2008, 08:25 PM)
Quote:
Check the vehicle down sensor..if it's out of place it will prevent the quad from running
That was it! If I zip-tie it down would it still function if I roll over? I'm not sure how it works but I want it to be functional.
nobodyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

QUOTE (nobodyfresh @ Sep 2 2008, 11:50 AM)
Quote:
That was it! If I zip-tie it down would it still function if I roll over? I'm not sure how it works but I want it to be functional.
Yes it will still function there is a gravity switch inside that should work as long as the 4 wheels are pointed towards the ground and not the sky. Below are a couple of photos of the switch disassembled and siliconed from the "other site".

raredirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Sep 1 2008, 06:25 PM)
Quote:

where is the down sensor located i am having problems with it
ctz400rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement