Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up at Walden, CO sand riding area this weekend and had a chance to see how the Kawi did in the sand. I have a Dasa 13"full exhaust, Fuel ATV intake and PCIII (my map is off though) and I was running 20x11x9 Sand Stars in the rear only. I was very impressed with the handling and suspension (I have it dialed in) over the whoops. I was able to climb anything out there even with the Sand Stars.

Now to the races. I had a chance to race a few quads many times over again. I raced an LTR 450 with EXACTLY the same mods as me, I raced an Outlaw 525S with 3 mods and a TRX 450 with 3 mods plus the HRC kit and a stroker kit. The races occurred at a section called comp hill which is about 300' with some whoops in the beginning up a decent hill. We raced at least 10 times along with some other insignificant machines. Here are the results exactly as they happened:

1. LTR 450 - I won every single race regardless of how I launched by no less than 1 bike with an average of 2. He was very upset with the results.

2. TRX 450 (5 Mod) - He won about half the races by no more than a bike and I won a few times by a half a bike and the rest of the times we were even. His 5 Mod TRX was only about one bike faster than my 3 mod with a bad fuel map. I'm tired of hearing about the famed HRC kit miracle.

3. Outlaw 525 Solid Axle (KTM Powered) - When I saw this quad I was very excited since we all here the hype about the KTM powered quads. He had a full 3 mods on his quad. He did not win ONE race. I pulled him by no less than 1 1/2 bikes EVERY TIME. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. So much for the "KTM powered" quad. I would like to race the real KTM 525 since I know it's the same engine with a better airbox, however, this outlaw had a better airbox. Maybe stock they can beat a KFX but with 3 mods on both they are going to be practically even. Mybe the KTM powered quad needs an HRC kit.

Everyone who raced weighed relatively the same and we raced enough times to compensate for bad starts. I'm not saying that every KFX with 3 mods will be the same, however, this is what actually happened. Bone stock the KFX is very corked up, but with a new intake system, exhaust and a computer it starts to come to life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
nice, i always like doing a little bit of drags here and there and i hold my own with modded quads, 700's, banshees, and a frind with a 525irs and beat him everytime. congratulations on the wins.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I traded wins during the late spring with some other 450s.....i got spanked in the bumps so gotta fine tune my suspension...I'd have to believe the new ktm 525 is faster than the kfx though, perhaps the older engines were not as powerful & tuned as the latest models are. It is a great feeling to come out in front for sure!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have to agree with Topdollr. Tires would of help to gain the lost lengths. And seems the ltr had something else to it. But maybe not. What is your gearing?

Larry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Atving4Christ @ Aug 4 2008, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10796
Have to agree with Topdollr. Tires would of help to gain the lost lengths. And seems the ltr had something else to it. But maybe not. What is your gearing?

Larry
I have stock gearing but you must remember I'm at 6,000 ft which robs me of at least 20-25% HP . I think the gearing is fine but I do know that straight 6 or 7 paddle tires would have made it even better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thats true. You lose compression at higher elevations. I would say six paddles.

Larry

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run 8 paddle extreams at walden and I do just fine. Plus I will out climb any machine there!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (kevinpowerski @ Aug 15 2008, 08:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11128
watch out for me at walden I be gunin for you going to rock springs to the sand on sep 1

I've been to Rock Springs and it is certainly fun. The issue though is that it is 6 hours from Colorado Springs and if I were to drive that far I may as well just drive another 4-5 hours and go to St. Anthony's, which I consider the best sand dunes in the country with Glamis being a close second. Additionally, the camping at Rock Springs is horrible as you are on top of that plateau and get constant wind with no shade. You should go to Walden for Labor Day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (Black Kawi @ Aug 18 2008, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11185
I've been to Rock Springs and it is certainly fun. The issue though is that it is 6 hours from Colorado Springs and if I were to drive that far I may as well just drive another 4-5 hours and go to St. Anthony's, which I consider the best sand dunes in the country with Glamis being a close second. Additionally, the camping at Rock Springs is horrible as you are on top of that plateau and get constant wind with no shade. You should go to Walden for Labor Day.

I am going to make a quick trip to Walden for the weekend of the 23rd. Is anyone going to be up there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
a couple of us are planning to go up to walden 28TH we well all be riding kawasaki 450 you all should go there will be some fast quad out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice. I think my parents are treating me to Silver Lake in Michigan for my 18th birthday. i have a KFX with a Trinity Stage 4 slip on, PC3, and a custom air box. i cant wait to race and hopefully i can have as good of results as you did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts