Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here goes the mistake:

about 2 weeks ago my buddy and i took 2 girls out riding with us at around 11pm in about upper 20 degree weather.
About half way back from the ride approx 2.5 miles in the woods while crossing a creek> feet on fenders her feet rapped around me< i slid off a rock into a pool and rolled the quad over sideways. Well needless to say she goes into a panic and i found myself with a dilema. Do i flip the quad over immiadiately... or fish her outta the water and get her to shore.. I had a soft moment and helped her while the quad took water into every hole on it. So i go back flip the kfx over and drag it across the creek in waste deep water. After getting it to shore and a quick decision of i'm freezin and gotta work in 5 hours it now being sometime after 1 i tryed starting it. (DUMB) well it fired up after some serious cranking and ran for about 10 seconds then died. so by the time we get everyone back ( the other quad ran outta fuel while running people back home) it was 4 am, so i left the quad beside the creek.

Now the retreaval:
the next day after work we tried draining the oil, but i'd say the only thing that came outta it was about 1 cup of water outta the drain hole and another cup outta the filter cover. NO OIL. totally lovin life after : carrying fuel to his quad gettin his running and 45 minutes of trying to get any oil outta it we drug it back about 400 yards and called it a night. I called off the following day and spent 6 hours settin up pulley systems apon pulley systems to get the quad out.

The attempted revival
after getting it back i got the oil to drain ( i'm guessin that the frozen water in the case blocked the oil from getting to the drain while i was in the woods)
The next day i removed the plug and turned the back wheels... i gotta tell ya kinda looked like a gyser shootin outta the spark plug hole. I then removed the pipe turned the wheels some more, and cleaned the intake.
Finally I changed the oil about 9 times with 3 filters... starting with just turning the back tires to short rides between changes

NOW how bad of shape am i in
i've noticed a bit of a lack of power since the dip, and what concerns me most is there is a little whole in the side of the block about 3mm big that leaks out some kinda fluid when it runs, plus the exaust smells like an old oil burnin truck

Questions :
What is that hole for?
Why does it seem to be leaking?
And who wants a slightly used kfx 450 lol j.k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hope not but the hole may be where the water froze in the oil and busted something. I sank mine pretty bad the other day and have not had any problems but mine was not totally underwater and was not upside down. If you could post some pictures it would be helpful. I am not am not a complete expert but I would take the intake off and check for oil in the little "box" off the side of the stock intake. I think the crank case breather tube go into there and oil may be trapped inside. The hole in the block makes me worried but if that was not there I would not see anything major that would be most likely wrong with it. As for the power loss you could do a compression check and that would give you a good indication if the motor is ok inside. I think changing the oil 9 times is enough and you are ok with that. Post some pics of the hole because it needs to be fixed. The only 2 fluids flowing through the block are coolant (Should be Green) and Oil. As for the burned oil smell if there is not any oil in the intake then the motor must be burning it because it is leaking around the piston seals or the valve seals. There is a possibility when you fired up the motor after removing it from the creek if could have had bad lubrication from the water in the oil and messed up the piston rings but I do not think so with only 10 sec of run time. Good luck and post some pics and results.

·
Registered
420 Posts
that sucks not sure about the hole but any kinda hole thats leaking is a bad thing!throw some jb weld over it or replace the top end were the hole is!look on the bright side you can do a big bore kit!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a picture with the hole... its right below were the coolant hose goes into the engine and above the header heat shield.

·
Registered
66 Posts
that hole is supposed to be there and is there from the factory! a bit of good news, now take all your intake apart, clean out your breather hose, basically everything everyones told you to do already, then also do a compression check. How much fluid is coming out of the hole? and what color is it, is it coolant or just oil? if its oil it could just be excess oil that was trapped behind the valves, or in the intake that now needs to be burned off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (Remington0404 @ Jan 4 2009, 02:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15451
Here is a picture with the hole... its right below were the coolant hose goes into the engine and above the header heat shield.

The hole is supposed to be there. It is a weep hole for the cooling system. Your car motor has them as well except for on your car they are on the water pump.

You may have some coolant come out of the whole but oil coming out is not good. You need to check the compression on the motor. I would have to say that if you sucked that cold water into the motor you probably hurt the rings on the piston. Not to big of a deal though. You can get a new piston and rings for about 200 bucks. As far as the valves go they should be good. You may want to check the head gasket too. You can do that buy pressurizing the cooling system.

Let me know what you find out.
KT

·
Registered
25 Posts
With that crankcase breather tube set up the way it is from factory it dumps excess oil back into the intake tube which sends it ontop of the piston and out the exhaust. That could be the reason you have the oil in your exhaust because the extra water mixed with the oil you already had pushed it out the crankcase breather like it should.

I was thinking that the hole in the side of the motor was simply a clean out to the spark plug but I could definatly be wrong. I looked through the service manual and found nothing about it and I thought if it was a weep hole it would be in there????????

Good Luck. I'd say, get it in a warm garage and start taking things apart to make sure there is no water in there. (side cases, breather tube, throttle body, valve cover, and open the oil drains for a couple days)

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Conrad @ Jan 4 2009, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15458
With that crankcase breather tube set up the way it is from factory it dumps excess oil back into the intake tube which sends it ontop of the piston and out the exhaust. That could be the reason you have the oil in your exhaust because the extra water mixed with the oil you already had pushed it out the crankcase breather like it should.

I was thinking that the hole in the side of the motor was simply a clean out to the spark plug but I could definatly be wrong. I looked through the service manual and found nothing about it and I thought if it was a weep hole it would be in there????????

Good Luck. I'd say, get it in a warm garage and start taking things apart to make sure there is no water in there. (side cases, breather tube, throttle body, valve cover, and open the oil drains for a couple days)
+1 on the spark plug drain hole, thats what i believe it is, my brothers raptor had the same problem with oil coming out of it we thought maybe it was a weep hole or soft plug that blew out. turned out to be the head gasket cheap easy fix even tho the raptor is a piece of wooter!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
QUOTE (Conrad @ Jan 4 2009, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15458

ur exactly right, thats what it is and yes its supposed to be there!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts