Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS IT TRUE IF YOU TURN THE KILL SWITCH OFF FIRST THEN THE KEY IT WILL PREVENT A DEAD BATTERY? OR HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A DIFFERENT PROBLEM WITH THEIR BATTERY?

·
Registered
18 Posts
And don't leave the key turned on with the headlights on. I did this on the trail last weekend and within 10 minutes my battery was dead. Had to be pulled out to an area large enough to jump start it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get yourself a battery tender. They are cheap and it will prolong the life of your battery.

I keep mine on a tender all winter and anytime I know it's not going to start for atleast 4 days

·
Registered
111 Posts
I second the battery tender I managed to have them warranty 2 batteries before I bought a tender. The battery new was going to run me $100 the $30 tender was a great investment and the one I got had 2 sets of leads one of them is permanently attached to the battery the other are similar to jumper cables, so I can use the tender on my other quads as well. My battery would be dead after somewhere between 2 and 4 days of sitting without being started no matter what switches were on or off or what order they went off.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well I didnt have the tender hooked up and went to go for a ride and of course.........battery was deadsville...I had to bump start it, nearly collapsed from a heart attack from pushing that thing around...the tenders on it now for good!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My batter acts kinda weird, I can let it sit for 2+ weeks and it will start right up, then other times ride it for a day and when I go to start it the next morning the battery will be dead. I've checked the battery and all the wires and have found nothing wrong. I don't know why it does it but for some reason it does. its kinda like someone is playing a trick on me but nobody is.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think theres a design flaw with the electrical system... intermittently the electrical system lets all the life drain from the battery despite the engine being shut off and kill switch in the off position..I don't know where it's draining out of or where its draining to but that would be my guess.. of course it always happens at the worst time

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ May 24 2008, 09:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9386
I think theres a design flaw with the electrical system... intermittently the electrical system lets all the life drain from the battery despite the engine being shut off and kill switch in the off position..I don't know where it's draining out of or where its draining to but that would be my guess.. of course it always happens at the worst time
my fuel pump would kick on way after i had shut the quad off and then the pump quit on me cause it burnt out the relay. i got a new battery and relay and i havent had the problem since. i rode today for the first time in over 2 months and it turned over slow but it still started.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ May 24 2008, 08:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9386
I agree. However, I started turning the key back to on after shutting it down, just for a second or two, and it has been fine ever since. It sat in my garage from T-giving until the end of March and it fired right up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (450Duner @ May 22 2008, 09:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9353
My batter acts kinda weird, I can let it sit for 2+ weeks and it will start right up, then other times ride it for a day and when I go to start it the next morning the battery will be dead. I've checked the battery and all the wires and have found nothing wrong. I don't know why it does it but for some reason it does. its kinda like someone is playing a trick on me but nobody is.
Mine is doing the exact same thing. Sometimes it works fine after a week and sometimes the following morning after a ride it is dead. I have been jump starting it with one of those 12v jump starters from Harbor Freight. I hope I'm not hurting anything. I'm also going to strart using the charger from my son's Chinese atv.

How much is a battery tender?

·
Registered
171 Posts
QUOTE (dsl @ Jul 18 2008, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10411
Mine is doing the exact same thing. Sometimes it works fine after a week and sometimes the following morning after a ride it is dead. I have been jump starting it with one of those 12v jump starters from Harbor Freight. I hope I'm not hurting anything. I'm also going to strart using the charger from my son's Chinese atv.

How much is a battery tender?

there like 30-40 bucks

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (CarFanatic @ Jul 18 2008, 03:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10412
there like 30-40 bucks
It sucks to know all of you have the same problem I do. I have just ran into the problem after owning it for just two months. (09 kfx450r) There must be an answer, I have started the quad then disconnected the positive cable, the bike will shut down. Does that mean my problem is my alternator. The alternator should run the bike once started right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (CarFanatic @ Nov 12 2009, 09:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17942
the reason the battery dies is because you HAVE to park the bike in neutral. IF you dont it will drain the battery.

ya but it shouldnt matter if you park it in gear or not shouldnt drain the batt its never done it on my hondas or my yami. 2 days after a days ride my batt will be dead but if u just run it around the block it wont ive had everything changes on my quad but the starter. on my tired batt, 2nd wire harness, 2nd main fuse, had no top end toke it in one day when the batt died again an told them it had no top end. so they did a leak test on it only came up with 3.5 % so i brought it home after being down there a week an they couldnt find the problem. then i toke it out for a ride 6 weeks ago from today an blew it up first ride after they told me it was fine ( i told them so). it now has a complete new motor other than gears an bottom case. so the stater was replaced so we will find out when i get it back hopfully tuesday an see if it still does it. 6 weeks to get the ok from kawi to warranty it an rebuild which is not right so im thinking of selling it when i get it back an switching brans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts