Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know lots of you had the same issue with the battery draining... may have stumbled on to a possible cause... my bud's were checking the electrical system and found that when the quad is turned off and left in gear there is a draw on the battery..when put in neutral there was none at all.. I normally leave mine in gear because it's on a trailer and don't want it bounching around..I'll be leaving it in neutral from now on..hopefully this is the cause.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The only battery drain issue I have ever had is when I left the key on overnight (DOOOOH!!!) Other than that I can leave it in gear, kill switch on, (as long as the key is switched off) , sit for weeks at a time, and still fires right up everytime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Nov 26 2008, 06:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15089
I know lots of you had the same issue with the battery draining... may have stumbled on to a possible cause... my bud's were checking the electrical system and found that when the quad is turned off and left in gear there is a draw on the battery..when put in neutral there was none at all.. I normally leave mine in gear because it's on a trailer and don't want it bounching around..I'll be leaving it in neutral from now on..hopefully this is the cause.
I leave mine in neutral and still have a draining problem.Still trying to find issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Leave in neutral and turn the key off as well as the switch. Mine will drain down if not started for a couple months so I leave it on a trickle charger all the time as I do with my other quads.

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (esquared @ Jan 29 2010, 02:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=18943
Leave in neutral and turn the key off as well as the switch. Mine will drain down if not started for a couple months so I leave it on a trickle charger all the time as I do with my other quads.

Ended up over here because the other KFX forum seems to be down?

Anyways, I have a big thread going over there about this.

Basically what I have figured out is only 2 things are constant...

1- Some people never have a problem
2- The rest of us have a battery drain issue... but the "state" it's parked in that drains it is various.

To those of you having drain issues, try turning your thumb kill switch on and leave it ON all the time.

And try leaving it in gear and in neutral also.

Report back here with your findings.

Leaving the kill switch on works for me.
It is a band-aid for whatever the problem is.

I have some good hunches on what is causing it.
But I need to collect input from more people to figure it out.
(good with problem solving, clueless on wiring)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I finally remembered to come back here to this thread...

As it turns out, my parking method I thought was working failed me. Any one of them will eventually.... as it is all myth!!!

What I confirmed after a year of fighting this and other issues is... some of the stock ECU's suffer a fault that causes this draw at random.

It got me in neutral as well... even documented the same at my servicing dealer when they had it in. Died on them one night out of the blue, but was parked in neutral.

I replaced my ECU with an aftermarket one and all my problems are gone.

Kawasaki will NOT replace your faulty ECU...
All they will do is waste your time... as they know this needs a recall, but they are trying to avoid that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts