Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

BENT FRAME!

24K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  ayovan 
#1 ·
Well, I've only got a few hours on my KFX, rolled it going maybe 15mph and all it did was roll over one time and back on its wheels.

The result? The frame is damaged beyond repair in the front end. I didn't hit anything, didn't slam anything, it just hit a rut w/the back tires sideways, rolled over once, then stopped.

I will be contacting Kawasaki now as that is not right. I've wrecked and flipped other quads over and over w/out a single problem for years. Less than 5hrs and this one's done for. Watch your frames!

See less See more
#3 ·
It is sitting at the dealer right now. It's not like horribly twisted. Where the steering stem mounts on the bottom is completely bent sideways, cracked underneath, and the front rails are slightly tweaked, as well as the bumper. I will get photos sometime this week. The welds were overstressed it appears when it landed on the bars in the roll. Something that should NOT happen.

#5 ·
I've been racing aluminum framed C'Dales for years w/out ever bending a frame. The aluminum is much stronger when done right. The KFX evidently was not. After talking w/some people at Kawasaki, there have been more than a few cases of the same problem.

Where the steering stem mounts at the bottom on the frame, the mount gets bent/cracked in flips very easily. Something was not done right there.

Pics coming on Monday most likely as I will be going back to the dealer then.

#6 ·
QUOTE (Psychosis @ May 12 2007, 06:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834
I've been racing aluminum framed C'Dales for years w/out ever bending a frame. The aluminum is much stronger when done right. The KFX evidently was not. After talking w/some people at Kawasaki, there have been more than a few cases of the same problem.

Where the steering stem mounts at the bottom on the frame, the mount gets bent/cracked in flips very easily. Something was not done right there.

Pics coming on Monday most likely as I will be going back to the dealer then.
First bent frame I've heard of and that really sux.

G
#8 ·
QUOTE (Psychosis @ May 11 2007, 08:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822
Well, I've only got a few hours on my KFX, rolled it going maybe 15mph and all it did was roll over one time and back on its wheels.

The result? The frame is damaged beyond repair in the front end. I didn't hit anything, didn't slam anything, it just hit a rut w/the back tires sideways, rolled over once, then stopped.

I will be contacting Kawasaki now as that is not right. I've wrecked and flipped other quads over and over w/out a single problem for years. Less than 5hrs and this one's done for. Watch your frames!

That sucks! Good luck.

#11 ·
BS? Ha. I love forums outside the Cannondale community. Nobody believes anything b/c Japanese quads don't have these problems. Learn some respect.

The first two photos show the actual main part that's bent. The next shows the frame but you really have to look close. I took a lot of photos to try and show how the rails are bent but that was the best one and it's still not easy. But trust me, they are bent. The last one was for wooters and giggles to show how weak the fender supports are. I couldn't get the camera in to show where the crank on the stem mount was. There is a crack there and the welds are WAY overstressed, which is NOT right! Say all you want but this was either a rare fluke or the frame is a problem waiting to happen. However, it's not the first according to Kawasaki.

#13 ·
The final word has not come back. I'm having to send in photos and the dealer is working w/me. They don't want to warranty it but they told me over the phone that where it's damaged is impossible, so this may change their mind.

#14 ·
Man i feel for you that must suck because i dont think dealerships realize these quads now days cost around 7 grand and thats base price and if you finance it probaly around $10,000 thousand dollars with that money it could pay for a car,i feel for you because im having troubles with my 07 yfz and im totally devastated over it but plan on getting a kfx in next couple of weeks.

#15 ·
I agree with Psychosis. That area should have some type of frame reinforcement tabs in the box area. I have to believe that steering stem act like ram during the roll over causing large amount pressure being applied to a small area couple with sideways motion cause this damaged. Actually the fix looks pretty straight forward by adding alum frame reinforcement plates inside of steering stem box. I’m not engineer by any means, this just my best guess that’s all. Yes, I also own KXF 450R and Love it!!!! I enjoy everybody's input on this forum.

#16 ·
Psychosis,

So you in your opinion, what is the solution to the problem... is there any preventative measure that can be taken? Someone suggested boxing up the lower steering area... does that sound like a viable solution that would have helped prevent the damage in your case?

#17 ·
Anything would help. The welds are so overstressed and cracked which shouldn't happen. There is not enough support there. The problem is that you can't just weld plates on w/this frame. You'd have to send it out to be heat treated again and overall might have an even weaker frame w/the gussets added. I am NOT happy w/the design there.

But the frame rails bent too, so what else can I really say there? Something was done wrong.

#18 ·
QUOTE (Psychosis @ May 16 2007, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933
Anything would help. The welds are so overstressed and cracked which shouldn't happen. There is not enough support there. The problem is that you can't just weld plates on w/this frame. You'd have to send it out to be heat treated again and overall might have an even weaker frame w/the gussets added. I am NOT happy w/the design there.

But the frame rails bent too, so what else can I really say there? Something was done wrong.
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully Kawasaki hooks you up.

#19 ·
Yea, bending a frame is not fun. And from the sounds of it and your story about how it rolled, yea it doesn't surprise me too much that the frame bent. cause think about it, if you were going slow when it rolled over, and 15 mph is kind of slow, well, when the quad was upside down, all the weight was on the top, and that would cause it to bend the frame and all. All the stress from the handle bars would do that. But it does suck though. But I plan on buying a KFX450R this summer sometime. I'm going to sell my YFZ450 and get a KFX450R. I can't wait. But right now, I have to save up $470 to get my front shocks rebuilt, and right now, PDR has my front shocks. So I will be putting my YFZ450 up for sale once I get my shocks back, and I'll use the money to put down on a loan for a brand new KFX450R. I shouldn't have to pay much on the loan, And my loan for my YFZ450 is down to $700 right now, so I'll have that paid off soon i hope, before i sell it.

#20 ·
QUOTE (Psychosis @ May 16 2007, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933

It will be interesting how this all plays out... one thing on your side is that it's a problem from Kawasaki and from my experience they have always done the right thing (unlike Yamaha who normally denies a problems even exist). Wish you the best of luck.

#21 ·
QUOTE (madracing @ May 17 2007, 10:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949
It will be interesting how this all plays out... one thing on your side is that it's a problem from Kawasaki and from my experience they have always done the right thing (unlike Yamaha who normally denies a problems even exist). Wish you the best of luck.
haha^ "unlike Yamaha who normally denies a problems even exist."
this is so very true

#24 ·
QUOTE (mikeac1984 @ Aug 13 2007, 07:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=2897
haha^ "unlike Yamaha who normally denies a problems even exist."
this is so very true
had a rhino steering column shaft sheer right off, steering wheel came off in my sister in-laws hands....yamaha said it was abuse due to the slight scratches in the aluminum wheels
fould out later that the steer shaft was not tapered at the top like it should be

#26 ·
QUOTE (FiremanEMS06 @ Jun 24 2008, 04:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9989
soo.. what did kawi do about ur bent frame? i just bent mines so i really want to know.. i'm also going to end up filing a law suit against florida utilities because i hit a drange hole with an improper cover. they knew about the problem but failed to fix it..
That doesnt sound good...hope you are ok

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.