Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I will start by telling you that the last atv I had was in the late 80's early 90's. it was a yamaha warrior 350. At the time I think it was the best and before that I had a 125 honda with no suspension. So my memories of these " big" engine atv was that they were really fast. Almost 20 years later I decide to byuy another atv. At the time of purchase I know absolutly knothing about current day atv's. I know that the 450 must be much faster than the 350, so for me any will do. I go with the kawasaki 450r. I must say that at first I thought that I was missing a gear because I was getting to the red line so fast. I will be honest and tell you that i was not impressed by the top speed. i was expecting much better. So here I am in rural Onatario ( canada) where it is legal to drive atv on the roads. I do not know any other atv driver and one day a yzf 450 and an 03 ploaris 525 come buy and we decide to go fior a race. I was beaten hands donw by both. I actually thought that it was impossible to be beaten like that, so I call my dealership to find out if I didn't have a " demo" or a problem with my kawasaki. It apperas not, and I have been reading that the kawais are not the fastest. That does not matter all that much to me, except that I would have preffered more honesty from my delearship. Anyway, since I had so much power and I was red lining too fast for my tast I decided to change the sproockets. I was hoping for about 20 km/h extra ( 12 miles per hour). I bought moose racing sprockets ( one bigger in the front and two smaller in theback). I am sure that I must have gotten half the speed I original wanted. I find that my atv drive much better. It is more drivable. I am loooking at exhaust systmes now. i am rtrying to decide on dasa or motoworks. I hear dasa is the best. i have read that they also modifiy the air box. Motoworks does. Any of you guys have good suggestions?

·
Registered
637 Posts
You should do a search for pipe shootout, fuelatv did one and has posted dyno results..I have a Dasa and love it..Its the only pipe ive run on this quad so cant say its the best but i am very happy with it You have to get rid of that stock intake, its horrible.. you have a few options there as well, can make your own (theduv posted that up) or purchase a new intake/filter/box etc.. from fci or fuelatv..search for them both here, some considerable gains from a new intake..Add a pciii (a must with those mods) and you'll have much more fun with your quad

·
Registered
285 Posts
POWER COMMANDER for the fuel injection...A MUST!!!
FCI Fuel Customs intake....Just Released last week....but dyno proven!!
your choice of exh....DASA is proven...i run a MOTOWORKS and am happy with it!

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Sent PM with information.

Danielle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (dlkfx450 @ Aug 28 2008, 12:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11409
POWER COMMANDER for the fuel injection...A MUST!!!
FCI Fuel Customs intake....Just Released last week....but dyno proven!!
your choice of exh....DASA is proven...i run a MOTOWORKS and am happy with it!

thank you all for your replies. i am going to go with the following : atv fuel ( intake air box + extra filter). motoworks full system ( might get cartbon) and pciii ( efi modifier). I was talking to some lady from atv fuel and she told me that dasa/ motoworks exhaust sytems combined with the pciii and the air box lide off give about 45 hp. Dasa has around 0,5 hp more. I am going to go with motowors because it is s little more quiet. Apparently when you add the air box/ intake you get even a little more. The only bit of homework I still have to do is figure out if this pciii has a "setting' for the combination I want.
I have one more question, do you have to reajust the pciii for diffrent weather? Winter/summer? I know that altitutde does matter. Andf should I be running the atv diffrebtly in real cold conditions?
Also, do spacers improve stability at high speed? I am going much faster than before my atv seems to wander on the road. Do you recommend any sizes?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
QUOTE (percyFoyer @ Aug 28 2008, 10:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11417
thank you all for your replies. i am going to go with the following : atv fuel ( intake air box + extra filter). motoworks full system ( might get cartbon) and pciii ( efi modifier). I was talking to some lady from atv fuel and she told me that dasa/ motoworks exhaust sytems combined with the pciii and the air box lide off give about 45 hp. Dasa has around 0,5 hp more. I am going to go with motowors because it is s little more quiet. Apparently when you add the air box/ intake you get even a little more. The only bit of homework I still have to do is figure out if this pciii has a "setting' for the combination I want.
I have one more question, do you have to reajust the pciii for diffrent weather? Winter/summer? I know that altitutde does matter. Andf should I be running the atv diffrebtly in real cold conditions?
Also, do spacers improve stability at high speed? I am going much faster than before my atv seems to wander on the road. Do you recommend any sizes?

With the Motoworks pipe and the fuel atv intake, you should be able to still use the map off of our website and will be close to where you will need to be for the air/fuel ratios. Our map was created at sea level, so I believe that if you are running at higher elevations, you may be running a little rich due to the lack of oxygen at higher elevations. This can always be adjusted manually on the PCIII itself. If you are looking to get the BEST performance from your bike, we do always recommend that you have the bike customed tuned. The map that is provided on our website is a great starting point with the modifications that you have choosen.

Danielle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts