Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the KFX takes well to the Big 3 Mods (exhaust, intake, PCIII with proper map usually gaining from 8-10HP), but after that with the addition of cams, head port and polish and ignition it seems like a margin of diminished returns. I've seen many dyno charts in this and other forums that show a 2hp gain with cams. For nearly $350 for cams, plus the hassle of installing them yourself or paying an additional $150-$200 for a shop to install them, it just doesn't seem to be worth getting the cams unless you can get them at a good discount and install them yourself.

As for the ignition, I have read much and found very little in the form of getting one (CDI) for the Kawi. It seems to have very little performance gain for several hundred dollars. Finally the head port and polish seems to do the same or little more than adding cams.

Overall, spending $350 for cams, $250 for an ignition, and $250 for port and polish plus any shipping fees and installation for the cams if you don't know how to do it, and you are paying anywhere from $850 - $1100 with tax and everything to gain about 4-6 ponies. Also, you will need to get your bike dynoed and mapped again with the additional 3 mods which costs an additional $200. You may actually pay $1200 for a 4-6 HP gain. That just doesn't seem worth it.

I know some people get new pistons and up their compression to 13:1 or even 14:1, but now you are definitely reducing your engine life. I'm sure even with the addition of cams, ignition and head work you will also shorten your engines life.

Does anyone have any input on the differences truly gained with the addition of cams, ignition and head work? Is it worth the steep costs, hassles and shortening your engines lifespan to gain an additional 4-6HP? Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It really depends on the person and what they want out of the quad..I've already picked up all the cheap HP that I can get, the next step would be real expensive..It's awesome to have the power for the dunes because you truly can never have enough there.. I love to tinker and enjoy new stuff so if I have the money i'd modify the engine further. No right or wrong answer here.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can vouch for the shortened engine life with pistons. Dasa built the motor in my bike and put a 14.5:1 piston in it. They reccomend a top end every 25 hrs. Seems I will be working on it more than riding. haha

·
Registered
83 Posts
YES YOU ARE ALL RIGHT . BUT i HAVE TAKEN IT AL THE WAY AND IT IS WORTH IT TO ME THE KAWAI HEADS ARE NOT VERY GOOD STOCK SO THEY REQUIRE SOME PORTING AND PUDDING TO GET RID OF THE STEEP VALVE ANGLE THEY WELL MAKE MUCH MORE HORSE POWER 6 7 IF DONE RIGHT WITH CAMS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.