Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a full DASA 13" exhaust, Fuel ATV intake and a PCIII. I used the Fuel ATV map. Before I modded my KFX, I raced my friend with a 450R with slight mods and we were dead-even. We raced numerous times on long runs to confirm on a paved road. Today I raced him again on a paved road, but this time I have the Big 3 mods that cost over $1110. I beat him by a consistent 5 bikes. I was a little disappointed since I thought I would pull him by 7-8 bikes and continue to pull away, which I didn't. I think the map is off since it feels a little sluggish and I'm not seeing the tremendous gains as everyone else is with these three mods. I ride at 6,000 feet elevation which makes a difference, but so does he. I also notice I have to quickly short-shift the quad to make it run its best because if I wait to shift until I hit the high RPM's I will lose enough power to nearly lose the race.

How many bikes should the Big 3 mods make compared to a stock KFX running a normal drag to 5th gear?

I thought it would be 7-8 but I was either wrong or am running a less than ideal fuel map.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There's no cardinal rule i'm aware of in terms of how many bike lengths you should be ahead..You are right though about shifting, if you look at a dyno you see a drop in hp as your rpms hit the 8500ish range.. You should also consider a custom dyno, every quad is different and will perform differently, the map is great to get you going but to get the max gains a custom is a must.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Are you running our map from our website? If you are, you may still need some adjustments. Our map was made at sea level and if you are riding at high altitudes it can throw it off. The best bet to get your bike to run at a peak performance would be to take it to get it dyno tested. Every bike will be a little different. We always recommend to use our map as only a starting place or guide and to get it fined tuned you will need to take the time to get it dyno tested.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's a proven fact that a motor running too rich at high RPMs will lose power far earlier than one running correctly; and based on your altitude, you're probably running rich using FuelATV's map. Play with the settings a bit, lower the amount of fuel a bit at high RPM right from the PCIII box when it's on the bike. (If you can do that with a map already loaded?)

Or just take a real good look at the map, and dink around with that a bit. It's pretty straightforward once you get past the sheer amount of numbers on there.

I haven't hooked mine up yet, I'm just guessing based on what I see/gather.

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Slaytanic454 @ Aug 12 2008, 04:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11031
It's a proven fact that a motor running too rich at high RPMs will lose power far earlier than one running correctly; and based on your altitude, you're probably running rich using FuelATV's map. Play with the settings a bit, lower the amount of fuel a bit at high RPM right from the PCIII box when it's on the bike. (If you can do that with a map already loaded?)

Or just take a real good look at the map, and dink around with that a bit. It's pretty straightforward once you get past the sheer amount of numbers on there.

I haven't hooked mine up yet, I'm just guessing based on what I see/gather.
I used Fuel's map prior to a cutom dyno...they are basically the same until the 5k range...then mine leans out a bit compared to Fuel's...It's a great directional start and will keep you running but custom dyno is key to performance

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Aug 12 2008, 04:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11032
I used Fuel's map prior to a cutom dyno...they are basically the same until the 5k range...then mine leans out a bit compared to Fuel's...It's a great directional start and will keep you running but custom dyno is key to performance
but what elevation are you at? I know its efi, so it isnt exactly the same, but ive read that a set jetting is good for about a 3000ft span(and not optimal the whole range), so if your at sea level, he would have had to rejet twice on his way up to 6k. I moved to about 5200 from about 100 ft and I myself noticed a huge difference, I could run about 1/5th the distance before my lungs started burning and I was dead.

and why arent these efi quads able to get a map, and then adjust itself for altitude? do any quads these days have the sensors needed to read all the necessary air specs to adjust themselves and stay optimal once they are set?

·
Registered
285 Posts
these efi systems use air temp and manifold absolute pressure to calculate fuel requirements.....they are very close up to a certain point....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts