Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last trip out to Glamis, I flipped my quad and broke the front plastic mounting tabs.

Got my trusty plastic welding kit out (soldering iron) and welded the mounting tabs backup:

So far, so good. I'll have to go out and give it good test this weekend

Just wanted to post a little article showing that broken plastic can sometimes be put back together.

Later,
Larry

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice Job,
I also add JBweld, take a razer blade, and make a checker board pattern on both fender and tab, then apply the two part epoxy or jbweld to make this much stronger.

Moto1

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (moto1 @ Oct 16 2007, 04:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=3824
Nice Job,
I also add JBweld, take a razer blade, and make a checker board pattern on both fender and tab, then apply the two part epoxy or jbweld to make this much stronger.

Moto1
Hmm, I just might have to try this. I crashed again (Stupid square edged bump) this last weekend and one of the welded tabs broke again.

I'm going to re-weld tonight and I'll try the JB Weld idea.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Doesn't the "welded" plastic joint become really brittle?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did the ugly fix, I drilled holes in the fender and the tab. I then ran zip ties threw the holes to secure the tabs to the fenders. I dont like the site of seeing zip ties on the top of my fenders but, i have flipped the quad since and the tabs are still holding strong.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My buddy dumped my wife's kfx 700 and broke the front and rear plastics...he replace the front and im looking for a quick fix for the rear, how would you actually weld the plastic? There is a clear split that could easily be welded until i have $450 to purchase new plastics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts