Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a KFX 450r I bought new in Jan. 2008. I ride all the time and estimate that I have somewhere in the 100 – 200 hour range on the motor. I have the trinity power kit (Full pipe, programmer, billet intake piece and K&N filter) and I have used Mobile MTX4 10-40 (whatever the high priced mobile 1 motorcycle oil is) since after break in. Very well taken care of but ridden hard. Anyways I am starting to see some blue smoke during the first min. or so after start up when I give the ATV a little throttle in neutral. Is this normal? I am assuming that the motor is starting to wear out but it seems premature to me. My warranty runs out soon and I am considering taking it into the dealer and having them take a look at it and hoping they will rebuild the motor but I assume they will say it is normal wear and tear. Has anybody else seen blue smoke or think this is normal?

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Thomas @ Dec 30 2008, 07:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15404
I have a KFX 450r I bought new in Jan. 2008. I ride all the time and estimate that I have somewhere in the 100 – 200 hour range on the motor. I have the trinity power kit (Full pipe, programmer, billet intake piece and K&N filter) and I have used Mobile MTX4 10-40 (whatever the high priced mobile 1 motorcycle oil is) since after break in. Very well taken care of but ridden hard. Anyways I am starting to see some blue smoke during the first min. or so after start up when I give the ATV a little throttle in neutral. Is this normal? I am assuming that the motor is starting to wear out but it seems premature to me. My warranty runs out soon and I am considering taking it into the dealer and having them take a look at it and hoping they will rebuild the motor but I assume they will say it is normal wear and tear. Has anybody else seen blue smoke or think this is normal?
not normal, may need to replace the piston rings i'd take it in and if they tell you it's nothing get a second opinion from another shop.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i would take it in asap let them pay for!

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine done the same thing back earlier in the year... they covered it in the warrenty everything except the piston. At first kawi didn't want to but my shop argued with them until they did.. But i would say go for it. just make sure your shop is gonna work with ya to help get it done

·
Registered
637 Posts
It could potentially be something as simple as a head gasket...my wife's kfx 700 did the same thing (or similar) and it was just the gasket..simple & cheap fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is going to be one of 2 things on the motor. It will either be the rings are starting to go, or it is the valve seals. But like everyone else I would lean more towards the rings. Did you run a prefilter on the K&N filter?
KT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts