Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting cams in my kawi hotcams stage 2. I got them in and got it in time and went to tighten down the cam caps and the center 4 went fine. Then I went to tighten the outer 4 bolts and they didn't want to tighten. I was using a snapon torque wrench to the specified torque in the service manual. But the bolts didn't want to tighten up. I pulled the 4 bolts out and I have started to stretch the threads.

So i went and got some new bolts a little harder bolt this time and they torqued down no problem. Has anyone seen any thing like this or have any ideals on this.

thanks
KT

·
Registered
285 Posts
were u using a 1/4 in drive torque wrench or a 3/8.....i found the 3/8 drive to bee too far out of its accurate range...for the very low torque spec

also did u torque them in the correct order?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dlkfx450 @ Sep 24 2008, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=12385
were u using a 1/4 in drive torque wrench or a 3/8.....i found the 3/8 drive to bee too far out of its accurate range...for the very low torque spec

also did u torque them in the correct order?
I was using a snap on 3/8 drive digital torque wrench. Its supposed to be accurate within .2.
Torque the bolts 1-8 in that order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whenever tightening camshaft bearing caps, you must tighten all of the bolts evenly at first. Use a short handled 1/4 drive ratchet. Tighten each bolt a couple of cranks each and work around the entire set of caps. Kawasaki recommends tightening the inner 4 bolts first but you must snug all 8 bolts during this process. You want to bring down the caps evenly or you can put them in a bind. Make sure you are not hung up on one of the hollow locating dowel pins. You should be able to get metal to metal for the caps and head without much effort on your 1/4" drive ratchet. If you run into a hard to turn bolt during this process, look to see if the caps are going down level. If not level, tighten bolts to level and then continue to tighten until caps are down. I also recommend a 1/4" drive torque wrench. I know they are expensive but they will save you a lot of expenses down the road.

Also clean the bolts before reinstalling and apply some oil (Moly lube is the best) to the bolt's head on the underside and threads. This will ensure more even torquing of the bolts. After snugging the bolts with the 1/4" ratchet, switch to the torque wrench. Set the torque wrench to a little over 50% (60 in-lbs) of the recommended torque setting. Tighten the bolts in the recommended sequence. Next set the torque wrench to full recommended torque setting (106 in-lbs), and tighten in the recommended sequence.

I have one more step that most do not do but works very well when working with head gaskets. Loosen each bolt 1/4 turn in the reverse order of tightening sequence. Then re-tighten to full recommended torque setting in one even pull. You will find the bolts will go past the originally torqued position and you have not over-torqued the bolts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do all of the work on my Harley, Waverunners, and Sea Doos, as well as my quad. One of the first lessons I learned the hard way, when torqing bolt, to do it in 3 stages, 50% of spec'd torq setting,to seat the bolts evenly, 75% so you dont stretch the threads especially in aluminium, and finally, torq at 100% of your spec'd setting. You will find your torq readings will be much more acurate, and you wont stretch or even strip threads or break bolts, both of which tend to be a real pain in the ass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Sep 25 2008, 11:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=12394
Let us know how you make out and the change in performance.. Should see noticible gains
I got the new head bolts in yesterday. So I put the cams in and they torqued down just fine. The only thing that I can think is either the 2 bolts were just bad or the head got hot at one time.

Either way the cams are in. I put the Fuel atv Intake on and the bike runs good. Now just got to do a little bit more tunning and should be set to do some riding next weekend.

Thanks for all the help. I got the 1/4 inch torque wrench that seemed to help a lot too.
KT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rode the bike this weekend with the new cams and the new Fuel ATV Intake. I can say that I'm happy with the results. the performance differance was awsome.

the only thing that I did notice is that the bike ran about 10 degree's warmer than normal. Has anyone noticed this with there bikes.
KT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts