Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed A crower intake cam and a dirtbike exhaust cam in by KFX last night. when I went to fire it up it just cranked over and acted like it wanted to start but wouldn't. I installed them following the directions in my service manual. I think that its a timming issue but I'm not sure because when I took it back apart to check everything, it was the way the book says it should be.

· Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE (450Duner @ May 6 2008, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8680
I installed A crower intake cam and a dirtbike exhaust cam in by KFX last night. when I went to fire it up it just cranked over and acted like it wanted to start but wouldn't. I installed them following the directions in my service manual. I think that its a timming issue but I'm not sure because when I took it back apart to check everything, it was the way the book says it should be.
Did you check the cam timing? If you counted the teeth wrong when you put the cam chain back on it wont start. Also if the piston was not TDC (top dead center) may be a problem but if you went by the service manual you should have done this.

· Registered
631 Posts
QUOTE (william @ May 6 2008, 05:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8684
Did you check the cam timing? If you counted the teeth wrong when you put the cam chain back on it wont start. Also if the piston was not TDC (top dead center) may be a problem but if you went by the service manual you should have done this.
Agree with you there, i'm combing through the service manual and looks like it's either of the two you've mentioned, also not sure if it's possible but confirm the exhaust and the intake were not inadvertantly swapped...

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when I installed the cams I checked them to make sure everything was lined up like it was supposed to be. I even did it agian when I pulled it back apart after the first failed attempt to start it, just to make sure that everything was lined up right. Thats what I don't get is why it won't start. Its right on the edge of firing up but there is something that is keeping it from actually starting. thats what is confusing me is it should be starting but its not

· Registered
29 Posts
I am not sure if those cams have a decompression unit on them. But it sounds like it is not working. Sounds like the motor is not quite spinning over fast enough. To be sure throw it in 5th gear and have someone push or pull you and I bet it will fire right off..

· Registered
109 Posts
ok i am not sure what its called and i dont have my service manual here at work, but there was a piece you had to swap from the stock exhaust cam to the new one before installed. I am not sure what its called but if you didnt do that it may not start. also did you check your valve clearence? If its to far off it wont start.

· Registered
81 Posts
Not to state the obvious, but make sure you didn't forget to put the fuel line back on the tank and/or the carb and also make sure you plugged the fuel pump back in.

Not that I would of done either of these

Good Luck.

· Registered
631 Posts
QUOTE (Larry @ May 7 2008, 09:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8712
Not to state the obvious, but make sure you didn't forget to put the fuel line back on the tank and/or the carb and also make sure you plugged the fuel pump back in.

Not that I would of done either of these

Good Luck.
Larry, that's always my approach..when the tv stops working the first thing I do is check the plug..it seems it's always the basics that are behind any of my mechanical/technical issues..

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so far no luck at fixing it yet. I'm going to take it apart again and switch the dirt bike cam with the stock exhaust one and leave the crower intake cam in to see if it changes anything. now I'm just going through and eliminating one variable at a time.

· Registered
284 Posts
QUOTE (450Duner @ May 7 2008, 05:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8730
so far no luck at fixing it yet. I'm going to take it apart again and switch the dirt bike cam with the stock exhaust one and leave the crower intake cam in to see if it changes anything. now I'm just going through and eliminating one variable at a time.
make sure the decompression arm inside the exhaust cam is working properly, it could be installed 180 off and be holding the valve open all the time

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am out of ideas after last nights attempt to get it running everything that I tried failed to work. I even put the stock cams back in and still got the same results as I was gettin with the crower intake and dirt bike exhaust cams. I've checked every thing that I could think of that could cause it to not start but everything is hooked up and inspec the way its supposed to be. but something is still keeping it from starting
I am out of ideas as to what to try next. The decompressor valve is working properly, the timing is lined up the way it should be, valves are within spec, all electrical conections were hooked up. I don't know what else I could do.

· Registered
215 Posts
Sound more of a electrical/ fuel issue than mechanics. Take off the PC3 and try to start. Check the splice kit that the pc3 came with and make sure it hasn't cut through the tps wire.

Larry

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I've checked everything electrical and its all fine, but now I have a new twist to my problem. I had a brain storm and put the crower cam and dirt bike cam back in and put it all together. I had my dad bring his 4x4 4-wheeler over and pull start it. and it fired right up after a couple of revolutions. but would only run when the choke was on. if I shut the choke off it would die. also when the choke was on it would idle as if the choke was shut off. anyone have any ideas because I no longer no what to do because I belive its out of time but don't know which cam to advance or retard in order to get it to run right.

· Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE (Atving4Christ @ May 8 2008, 10:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8763
CHoke??? DO they have chokes????? If so, I never use it. Sorry about all the problems. I hope you get this figured out.

Larry
They do have a Fast Idle which acts like a choke for cold starting. You can also adjust the idle with fast idle knob. You turn clockwise for higher idle and counterclockwise for lower idle, but don't quote me on this. So your idle might be too low. Hook your computer up to it with the pc3 software and make sure your idle is correct. I think the kfx is supposed to idle around 1800rpm.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (william @ May 8 2008, 10:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8764
They do have a Fast Idle which acts like a choke for cold starting. You can also adjust the idle with fast idle knob. You turn clockwise for higher idle and counterclockwise for lower idle, but don't quote me on this. So your idle might be too low. Hook your computer up to it with the pc3 software and make sure your idle is correct. I think the kfx is supposed to idle around 1800rpm.
The idleing is only part of the problem which I can handle and get under control. My biggest problem is why it wont start when using the starter, the only way that it will start is if i pull start it. Its acting as if its got to much compression and not allowing the starter to turn it over fast enough to start it. I have had this thing apart so many times now that I practically have it memorized.

· Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (450Duner @ May 9 2008, 12:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8766
The idleing is only part of the problem which I can handle and get under control. My biggest problem is why it wont start when using the starter, the only way that it will start is if i pull start it. Its acting as if its got to much compression and not allowing the starter to turn it over fast enough to start it. I have had this thing apart so many times now that I practically have it memorized.
Is your battery fully charged? I put cams and a 13.5:1 piston in and I have know problems with mine turning over.

· Registered
109 Posts
yeah check and make sure your battery is fully charged and if not, put a small charge on it to help your battery out and try to start it with the charger on it if it starts with the charger you might just need to charge your battery. In the service manual it says when checking the battery voltage, if the voltage is under 12v the batery needs to be replaced.

· Registered
4 Posts
On the bottom of your throttle body there is an allen bolt held in place by a nut. Turn the allen bolt in 1½ turns. This will give you more adjustment with your fast idle knob. When you add a cam you need to add more air and fuel too.
I also added a little fuel using the power commander on the low R.P.M.S
Hope this helps you out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.