Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this new coolant liquid called Engine Ice, and the sales person at the dealership said you must remove all the old antifreeze before you add this liquid. They WILL NOT mix together. He even went as far to tell me to put my air blower nozzle up to the drain hole and blow air to remove any left overs that didnt drain out.
1. Should I do this?
2. Looked for a drain plug in my motor, didnt find one
3. My manual says take to dealer for them to do this work.
4. Just spent about a grand with FuelATV and cant aford to take it there
5. Where is the drain plug?
6. Where is the best place to buy a service manual?
7. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Vance @ Aug 24 2008, 11:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11330
I bought this new coolant liquid called Engine Ice, and the sales person at the dealership said you must remove all the old antifreeze before you add this liquid. They WILL NOT mix together. He even went as far to tell me to put my air blower nozzle up to the drain hole and blow air to remove any left overs that didnt drain out.
1. Should I do this?
7. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just sent you a "how to" via pm..basically follow the bottom hose to where it connects with the engine, it's that one black bolt that is raised (there are three others which you will see but they are much lower), open it up and you'll have a gusher

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (Vance @ Aug 24 2008, 01:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11330
1. Should I do this?
7. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you do decide to go with the ice coolant, i would flush the system throughly with water several times i would then tip it over on it sides a little and up and down in the front, and the rear to try to remove as much left over coolant, or water as possible. i dont think i would put air in the drain hole to try to remove any left over coolant. you have a mechanical water pump seal and oil seal that if you apply too much air you could damage one, or both of them. they sell origional kawasaki service manuals on e-bay for about $70.00+ shipping. i paid i think about the same price for mine from kawasaki.com site. good luck, and GOD BLESS. my only concern about running this type of coolant, is if you are trail riding, and for some reason you loose some of the coolant. a roll over, or a fail part, or even a hose getting damaged you are sunk if it does not mix with anything including water. i would rather be able to put water in it to get me back to the truck, than push it, or run it low of coolant. these high compression motors heat up very quickly. i wear a hydration pack on my back so i have water to drink, and if i need to i can put it in the cooling system.just my 2 cents. have a good day.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. I never knew that it doesn't mix well with others. Can anyone tell me why that is? I used it a while back and I drained everything out before putting it back in. I drained it because I just had water in it. I then raced a endurance race in which my machine started to get how. I eventually used up all the engine ice and put water into my overfill bottle. It eventually quit getting hot that day and haven't had any problems since then. This was my first time using Engine Ice, I wish the retailer would have told me this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try using water wetter. Thats what alot of people use. Pwr even recomends it. It is meant to be used with water. I believe you can also use it with antifreeze. You will get your best results with water though. I am using the supercooler made by them. Downfall is this isn't a anti-freeze so below freezing is no good. For me if it's below freezing or anywhere near I am not even thinking about riding anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I heard of that stuff and forgot all about it. I didn't have any issues at last weekends race but it is also alot cooler now. It was hot as hell at one of the races and still pretty warm, not to mention a little bit of mud. It was overheating early in the endurance race but stopped later in the day. We were pitting every lap to spray it down to cool it off, lost alot of valuable time.

I'm sure its helped too since I put an in-line cooler on both radiater hoses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts