Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 13" full Dasa exhaust with the ceramic coating and here is what I think:

Pros: The exhaust looks great, performs well and sounds good.

Cons: Assembly is very cumbersome from trying to fit the 3 piece exhaust to match up with the frame and the insertion of the headpipe to the midpipe sucks. Next, there is a bolt that connects the silencer to the midpipe which is nearly impossible to get to. I had to make a special tool to reach the bolt since it is on the inside of the exhaust nearest the frame in which there is a bend that makes it a gigantic hassle to tighten. Third, the clearance on the exhaust over the engine crankcase is extremely low. Fourth, the stickers that Dasa have to put on the exhaust suck. Mine started peeling off after a couple of rides. They should have put a metal logo plate like every other exhaust does. Finally, my biggest complaint is the spark arrestor. It is a dildo style spark arrestor that you insert into the exhaust and it is held with a C-clamp. My spark arrestor actually started turning inside out after 4 rides, meaning it looked like someone was pushing the dildo from inside the exhaust and it was protruding by many inches out of the rear of my exhaust. It is amazing how Dasa can make a solid performing exhaust with such a wooterty spark arrestor. Anyone who has the Dasa spark arrestor will know what I'm talking about.

Overall I like the exhaust's performance and looks but I am surprised by some of the annoyances this exhaust has. I would recommend anyone who buys this exhaust immediately removes the stickers and runs it without any logo and picks up another spark arrestor. My friend has a Raptor with Barker exhausts and it has the best spark arrestor I have ever seen. It is simply a screened diaphragm, smart and simple. I am getting one to put in the Dasa exhaust.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I love my Dasa...had it for a year now...I purchased the spark arrest but have yet to actually use it...You are right about the bolts to the mid, the one bolt was a royal pain..I found a way to wiggle it in somehow and make it work (was a year ago so I don't exactly remember how)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I love my Dasa as well would agree on the 3rd bolt on the inside, it is probably a no no but I actually ended up leaving it off. I have yet to use the spark arrestor even though it is going to take some grinding to get it to fit, which is poor design on their part but not a huge issue for me.

I have had mine for about 4 months have raced a couple MX races and been to the dunes and the sticker still looks like new.

I agree a few things they could tweak to make it even better then it is but, I am happy with it and am glad I got it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I too love my Dasa pipe. Got the black ceramic coating, but that got all screwed up when my riding pants melted to the pipe. It should of came with some exhaust guards, but instead I had to make my own (hose clamps with stock guards).

My sparky / quiet core fits and it has seen ..... oh about a total of 5 minutes on the bike in 18 months or so

I just repacked my pipe after a year on it and the packing was still about 95% in perfect shape. I'll let it go for 2 years next time before repacking.

Love that Dasa sound.

Later,
Larry

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Larry @ Sep 9 2008, 12:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11688
I too love my Dasa pipe. Got the black ceramic coating, but that got all screwed up when my riding pants melted to the pipe. It should of came with some exhaust guards, but instead I had to make my own (hose clamps with stock guards).

My sparky / quiet core fits and it has seen ..... oh about a total of 5 minutes on the bike in 18 months or so

I just repacked my pipe after a year on it and the packing was still about 95% in perfect shape. I'll let it go for 2 years next time before repacking.

Love that Dasa sound.

Later,
Larry
That's good to know..i have one dune season (about 5 trips) and a few hours in the desert riding, i thought about changing the packing but can't see any signs of it blowing out..I'll probably get a few dune trips on it and change mid season

1 - 5 of 5 Posts