Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took my bike down and had it tuned after i put in 13.8:1 high comp piston stage two camps, K&N high vel. intake, full sparks and pcIII. it turned like 47.8 horse. few weeks later i put a friends head on with a mild port job and ran same map but seemed like a pretty good power gain. a couple weeks after that i ordered up a +3 throttle body and figured its time to have it custom tuned and a dyno run, here comes the disappointment, it pulled 49's. a fifty once. so thats saying i gained a horse or two out of a head and throttly body? seems pretty lame? could the throttle body being doing more hurt than help?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go with a Fuel Customs Intake if you want some more power.

Also Different dynos put out different numbers.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What was your starting point on the dyno? I'ts not just the ending number, it's the change that you get from the mods, with fci, dasa, pciii and kxcams i'm just under 50, should also consider what Master said and go with a better intake.

·
Registered
285 Posts
if u are running the VELOCITY intake u need to THROW IT IN THE TRASH...
GET YOURSELF AN FCI to take advantage of the high rpm power potential of the porting, tb, cams...
i can hook u up with the intake, give me a call 951 743 6328

·
Registered
112 Posts
How is the velocity such junk ? It's down .63hp at half the price . I'd say most riders not at the pro level they couldn't ever see the difference . Does anybody have the dyno numbers with an ltr tube ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's not putting out as high on top as the fci is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have heard the same thing from a guy with an LTR that bought a velocity stack, they r junk, the tube creates too much turbulence he switched to a fuel atv intake, and he only gained a half a horse, but the curve was very smooth, and more top end as mentioned above

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not saying the fci isn't the best u can buy . From what I've seen and heard it is top of the line . The chart says it's useing a dasa pipe . Other charts I've seen show dasa about 1/2hp above the sparks he's useing . For $120 Ill be down .63hp and short shift the last couple hundred rpms . How does the turbulance hurt hp ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (#3'skfx @ Feb 24 2009, 02:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16237
I'm not saying the fci isn't the best u can buy . From what I've seen and heard it is top of the line . The chart says it's useing a dasa pipe . Other charts I've seen show dasa about 1/2hp above the sparks he's useing . For $120 Ill be down .63hp and short shift the last couple hundred rpms . How does the turbulance hurt hp ?
it doesn't hurt hp on a dyno, but the air will not flow straight into the t.b., it bounces off the walls of the intake, therefore, you do not get a constant airflow... its very minimal, but it is there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can't grasp it . Not saying it's not there !! U remember the tornado infomercials ? That's the whole purpose they work on . And they have dyno charts too . I'm not argueing with u just tring to understand what's best for all of us .

Try this theory n give me ur honest opinion . The fci tube is huge ! Nobody has a right to ? It .im talking about at the biggest part where the filter hooks up too , and pretty much all of it . Biggest there is that I've seen for sure . In my simple lil mind it says there's no way anything can produce better hp . But it does have alota bend right as it hooks up to the tb . That causes air to bounce across it's self ? As it's consumed by the intake-heads .-turblance .

What size velocity intake was used in the dyno chart ? They make 3 different ones . 2 1/8 through 2 1/2 still alot smaller than the fci at best . The way to acheive max air flow is the bigger and straighter it is on the way in the mores going to get through .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey guys sorry but computer has been down. i don't have the before and after sheets from the dyno. i'm not sure the dyno could be off but it was the same one i had it tuned on when it turned 48 before i had the head and throttle body. i put the head on about two weeks before the throttle body and it seemed like i had pretty good gains. once i got the throttle body i just took it and got it tuned and it turned just over 48 something the first few times and the best it got was around 50.15 but with i left it was around 49.5. the numbers just didn't seem right and the power didn't feel right at all. when i got home i took it too the track and it felt like a pooch. needless to say i didn't feel comfortable with it so i took the throttle body off and it seemed to run a lot better and seemed like it had more. i know the intake isn't the best and plan on getting an fci when i can get the cash.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Intakes are not just a TUBE, and are not affected on HOW BIG THE FILTER mounting area is.....
there is a lot that goes into the DESIGN and TUNING of the actual tube which changes the POWER BAND......

if u cut 1-2 in. off the velocity tube u will see a change in powerband......

the throttle body bore may not be a benefit to u right now with that intake combo since it is going to change power from 7500 rpm and up so i would put it on the shelf till u change intakes.....

THE VELOCITY INTAKE is going to limit the peak power RPM potential of your bike to 9k and that will always limit u.... change that and then go from there....
u are currently missing out on 10+ hp at redline.....

FCI intakes are all MONEY BACK , no hassle, though u wont be returning it

All the RIGHT parts and components need to work together to get the best performance

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE (dlkfx450 @ Feb 25 2009, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16252
Intakes are not just a TUBE, and are not affected on HOW BIG THE FILTER mounting area is.....
there is a lot that goes into the DESIGN and TUNING of the actual tube which changes the POWER BAND......

if u cut 1-2 in. off the velocity tube u will see a change in powerband......

the throttle body bore may not be a benefit to u right now with that intake combo since it is going to change power from 7500 rpm and up so i would put it on the shelf till u change intakes.....

THE VELOCITY INTAKE is going to limit the peak power RPM potential of your bike to 9k and that will always limit u.... change that and then go from there....
u are currently missing out on 10+ hp at redline.....

FCI intakes are all MONEY BACK , no hassle, though u wont be returning it

All the RIGHT parts and components need to work together to get the best performance
I know ur not saying the fci is going to add 10hp more than any other intake . If filter size has nothing to do with it then the stock filter is just as good as any u can buy then .

·
Registered
285 Posts
after a certain point in size the filter will not affect power..... if u leave the filter off and just test the TUBE, u will see the same results.....

MAKING POWER is NOT about PEAK numbers....but making a BETTER, LONGER, FATTER power curve

look at the graph where the lines end on the right side the FCI intake is making 41 hp while the velocity is making 32....

if u dont understand this then i give up......

·
Registered
112 Posts
i see the graph . there both pretty much even till 9300 rpm the vel drops off there giveing it an advantage for about 1100 rpms then the fci drops too ! and their even again . both intakes peak at aroun 8000rpms with no major drop off till 9300 . ive never felt the need to just rev mine for the sound . when it stops building power shift ! like i said before . theirs not many riders that have the ability to reckonize the difference in the to . im sure not good enough to !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.