Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we get a consensus on the actual dry wheight of this thing!?! I was over on YFZcentral the other day sticking up for the KFX 'cause they were calling it 'heavy' I said no it isn't check out the specs pinned at the top of this forum! Well I read in dirt wheels that it IS indeed heavier than the KFX!
So please what does this thing weigh??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll take the silence as "it IS heavier" Dosn't really matter anyway- the DS450 will no doubt dominate this class anyway, just as Can-Am dominates every other ATV class.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I dont care what any magazine says, with a yfz, trx and my kfx sitting side by side, one arm pick up both front and rear and the kfx "feels" easier to lift by quite a bit. Plus it looks better LOL!

·
Registered
8 Posts
the yfz is the heaviest of all 450 class quads. Yamaha lied about the weight..

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you don't know then dont't start talking about it.

I remember back about 2-3yrs ago when a full weight survey was done on a 450R, YFZ, and a C'Dale. The YFZ was the lightest by nearly 15lbs and the 450R outweighed the C'Dale by 1b. I think the R was like 403lbs ready to ride full of gas and all.

granted the scales all seemed a little high on the weight, but they were all weighed together on the same scale, same day, same operator. When I was at the Kawasaki press release and demo ride for the KFX they had the weight differences of a KFX and an LTR. The LTR was of course heavier but when both quads were ready to race in factory form the KFX was slightly lighter but both were close. Each came in less than a 450R and YFZ though.

So if you're going to start talking then just shut up and listen to facts. Go weigh each of the quads back to back and see the results, then open your mouth. I've seen the weights, I've seen the tests, I have something to back up what I'm saying.

But if you wanna talk about the lowest weight in its class then why don't you talk about the 04 Cannondale Moto that never hit the market w/the carbon fiber axle. Dry weight w/the new styling and all was around 325lbs. It's sad that 5yrs of designing later and the Japanese are just hitting 350lbs finally, though they've claimed for years. Can-Am took the right move though and they get props for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah the YFZ isnt the heaviest i have to pick up my friends ltr all the time and his trx and my yfz is alot easier to pick up by at least 15lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Psychosis @ May 21 2007, 05:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016
If you don't know then dont't start talking about it.

I remember back about 2-3yrs ago when a full weight survey was done on a 450R, YFZ, and a C'Dale. The YFZ was the lightest by nearly 15lbs and the 450R outweighed the C'Dale by 1b. I think the R was like 403lbs ready to ride full of gas and all.

granted the scales all seemed a little high on the weight, but they were all weighed together on the same scale, same day, same operator. When I was at the Kawasaki press release and demo ride for the KFX they had the weight differences of a KFX and an LTR. The LTR was of course heavier but when both quads were ready to race in factory form the KFX was slightly lighter but both were close. Each came in less than a 450R and YFZ though.

So if you're going to start talking then just shut up and listen to facts. Go weigh each of the quads back to back and see the results, then open your mouth. I've seen the weights, I've seen the tests, I have something to back up what I'm saying.

But if you wanna talk about the lowest weight in its class then why don't you talk about the 04 Cannondale Moto that never hit the market w/the carbon fiber axle. Dry weight w/the new styling and all was around 325lbs. It's sad that 5yrs of designing later and the Japanese are just hitting 350lbs finally, though they've claimed for years. Can-Am took the right move though and they get props for it.
so you dont know me at all and you automatically know for a fact I dont know what Im talking about....your genious....

in stead of making something up about someone you know nothing about maybe you should check yourself before you open your mouth...I did weigh them back to back and the YFZ was the heaviest in this case...I have read I think all of your post's and you make yourself sound like your 15 with some of the stuff you say...so go ahead and bash me back I dont really care. I think its funny you speak so highly of a quad ( Cannondale) that had nothing but problems and hardly anyone, but you actually use....

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (trx450rlude @ May 21 2007, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012
the yfz is the heaviest of all 450 class quads. Yamaha lied about the weight..
The YFZ450 weighs less wet (gas, oil, coolant, etc.) than the KFX does dry. Weighs just under 360lb wet. Check out this test: http://www.atvconnection.com/Features/ATV_...00-shootout.cfm

But if your really concerned about weight (and HP for that matter), then wait a little over a month then you can buy a DS450 which will weigh less than any of the current 450s and also have the most stock HP of the bunch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your concerned about weight lose some!! Fat bitches

·
Registered
120 Posts
QUOTE (trx450rlude @ May 22 2007, 06:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031
so you dont know me at all and you automatically know for a fact I dont know what Im talking about....your genious....

in stead of making something up about someone you know nothing about maybe you should check yourself before you open your mouth...I did weigh them back to back and the YFZ was the heaviest in this case...I have read I think all of your post's and you make yourself sound like your 15 with some of the stuff you say...so go ahead and bash me back I dont really care. I think its funny you speak so highly of a quad ( Cannondale) that had nothing but problems and hardly anyone, but you actually use....
I'm posting that you don't know what you're talking about b/c you simply don't. The YFZ is much lighter than a 450R and on tap w/the Suz/Kaw. I've seen the weigh-in's in person, plus I've seen the same results from other weigh-ins.

Punks like you are what make the forums garbage. If somebody says you're wrong who is right you start a rant about the person being 15 or something. Grow up or leave the forums so they can actually be put to good use. I speak highly of the Cannondales b/c after 5yrs of no production, I still haven't seen a quad that is better. Some have better geometry, some have better control, lighter, etc. But the power curve/tunability, overall handling, torque, etc is what makes it number one in my list. My C'Dale race quad lasted me 2 full seasons and roughly 330hrs w/out even adjusting the valves. Ran person until tore down and it still lives today. If you wanna get into a bitching war then leave the site. I know that I've had a Honda 450R, a KFX now, and have ridden/raced other 450's and the most reliable I've ever seen has been my C'Dale. The 450R was more/less a joke to me but it has improved into a nice quad now.

And I make myself sound like I'm 15 yet I'm the one mentioning facts and not starting this kind of crap? I've most likely torn into more quad/engines than yourself, and have raced for quite a few years. When you can stand up and talk w/the real riders and stop doing the EXRiders preteen "you're 15yrs old" thing, come back. Until then; grow up. Posting a response to this shows your insolence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (Psychosis @ May 22 2007, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037
I'm posting that you don't know what you're talking about b/c you simply don't. The YFZ is much lighter than a 450R and on tap w/the Suz/Kaw. I've seen the weigh-in's in person, plus I've seen the same results from other weigh-ins.

Punks like you are what make the forums garbage. If somebody says you're wrong who is right you start a rant about the person being 15 or something. Grow up or leave the forums so they can actually be put to good use. I speak highly of the Cannondales b/c after 5yrs of no production, I still haven't seen a quad that is better. Some have better geometry, some have better control, lighter, etc. But the power curve/tunability, overall handling, torque, etc is what makes it number one in my list. My C'Dale race quad lasted me 2 full seasons and roughly 330hrs w/out even adjusting the valves. Ran person until tore down and it still lives today. If you wanna get into a bitching war then leave the site. I know that I've had a Honda 450R, a KFX now, and have ridden/raced other 450's and the most reliable I've ever seen has been my C'Dale. The 450R was more/less a joke to me but it has improved into a nice quad now.

And I make myself sound like I'm 15 yet I'm the one mentioning facts and not starting this kind of crap? I've most likely torn into more quad/engines than yourself, and have raced for quite a few years. When you can stand up and talk w/the real riders and stop doing the EXRiders preteen "you're 15yrs old" thing, come back. Until then; grow up. Posting a response to this shows your insolence.
Okay everybody, lets calm down a little bit. Were all quad fans and lets not "attack" each other here.

Now I do have to say that the Cannandales in general weren't the greatest overall bikes. I've owned numerous quads and three wheelers through the years (ATC 185 & a ATC 250R, TRX250R (3), 400EX (2), Raptor, Z400, YFZ450 (2), and a LTR450 and my brother has owned a TRX250R, Cannandale Motto 440, TRX450R, and a new KFX450R and I have to say the Cannandale 440 was my least favorite ride overall. Maybe strickly for track use it wouldn't be too bad of a ride but when you consider that when the YFZ450s came out in June of 03, my brother and countless others sold their 440s as a stock YFZ was faster, lighter, and a whole lot cheaper than a 440 Cannandale. Anybody who has owned one knows what I'm talking about (you don't see too many on the circuit anymore do you?). And the average owner didn't have the success you did with your 440 in overall reliability (my brother had numerous electrical problems with his). Just my 2 cents but I'm sure a lot of past Cannandale owners feel the same way as this new breed of 450s are definately overall better rides for the money than the Cannandales were.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I will agree that they had their problems. A few quick fixes and those problems are gone. I got a KFX to replace the Dale and I personally would rather race the Dale. They are not so good of woods quads though. Put a 250R kit on, a good front end, and they rip apart on the tracks when the engine is built right.

I will be building a KFX if nobody buys mine to identical specs of the Dale minus the different manufacturer and will see the better quad. Handling will be KFX but there's something that gets me on the Dales. I know quite a few guys who used to race A and pro-am on them but switched solely b/c of sponsors. It's hard to get sponsored on one but the ride is all your opinion.

I've ridden/raced all the 450's now from stock to fully built and my personally favorite was still the Dale. The KFX and LTR are better handling, but the power delivery and rear suspension is what sells me on the Dale. No Japanese quad to date has matched the rear end feeling imo. I'll stop ranting on them though. I like what I like and you like what you like. If you're ever on the west coast send me a pm and I'll let anyone take mine for a ride.

As for the topic. Attacking gets pathetic but I will stand up for something I know is right when somebody tries the old "EXRiders technique".

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Psychosis @ May 22 2007, 03:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037

I was always under the impression you were NOT an idiot by now you have me thinking otherwise.....your the one that attacked me. Then you write this saying I attaced you....all you have to do is look up the proof is right in front of your nose.....You like to talk big dont you....I dont feel the need to talk big cause I dont have the little willy syndrome....Sorry to anyone else that has a problem with me. But I did nothing wrong...

Bobby

Also I have been a member of trx450r.org since it started. I was the 31st member and was admin for a while. I do know what Im talking about and your scales simply did not say what mine said....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did not attack you specificly. Read the tone and style in the grammar. It is a general selection towards anyone speaking on this topic. You took offense to that.

Scales may be different but I've seen more than a couple and all had same results.

As for those who say picking up a quad feels lighter than the other, that's crap. A C'Dale weighs 1lb less than a stock 450R but the R's weight balance is the reason. A C'Dale has like 51/49% weight distribution while the R has somewhere around 42/58%. The YFZ is little inbetween and not sure on the others off the top of my head. The point is that even though the R weighs slightly more than a Dale, the Dale will feel heavier on one side for sure. So that test is kind of pointless to mention.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (Psychosis @ May 24 2007, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=2078
I did not attack you specificly. Read the tone and style in the grammar. It is a general selection towards anyone speaking on this topic. You took offense to that.

Scales may be different but I've seen more than a couple and all had same results.

As for those who say picking up a quad feels lighter than the other, that's crap. A C'Dale weighs 1lb less than a stock 450R but the R's weight balance is the reason. A C'Dale has like 51/49% weight distribution while the R has somewhere around 42/58%. The YFZ is little inbetween and not sure on the others off the top of my head. The point is that even though the R weighs slightly more than a Dale, the Dale will feel heavier on one side for sure. So that test is kind of pointless to mention.
I will have to disagree with your last sentence. If by me picking up the front and back of a kawie, honda, and Yammy 450, the kawie feels "easier" to lift, that is anything but pointless IMO. IMO that is "real world". Scales are all different. I say however it "feels" to you is what you should go by. And yes, alot of the feel has to do with the weight distribution. A Raptor700 to me feels 30-40 pounds lighter than it really is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts