Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my intake today from Fuel Customs in pomona ca............

First impressions were good, the intake kit was well packaged and all components had high cosmetic appeal....
The fit of the air filter is very tight and a little tough to get on the first time,and the hose clamp needs to be loosened all the way out due to the rib on the end of the air Tube. The fitment at the throttle body is a little tough to get in too......personally id rather has the boot and filter be a little tight and not have to worry about them falling off!!!
the bracket mounting bolt holes were a little too tight and i had to apple a little elbow grease to get everything lines up....this may be due to manufacturing differences in the aluminum sub frame or the powder coating, a couple of small issues that will be brought to the attention of FCI to get the little bugs worked out////
It works best to assemble the intale off the bike then install.....

In comparison with my Trinity adaptor and filter kit with the LT-R TUBE and custom made bracket

the intake tube needs to be rotated to the correct position to clear the rear shock as with any intake kit final fittment is key!!!

on the dyno.....
this is my personal bike and was ran on the gncc's because i currently have a hurt back and did not feel like changing them....DYNO SLICKS would add another 10% to the runs........
Both intakes were ran several times, RETUNED AND RAN AGAIN, and the best runs were used for the comparison....engine temp was above 165* on the vapor computer....

From the very first run the FCI picked up noticable power and after some tuning it produced very good gains over the Trinity filter kit and lt-r tube.....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks for being the first to post up...Those look like some considerable gains especially in the mid 6-8k range.. Now the dilema comes..keep the current custom intake config or spend another $400-$500 for the FCI with custom dyno tune..
No wonder I don't have a savings account.

Were you happy with the improved performance? 2hp pick up seems pretty good to me. That filter is ginormous

·
Registered
10 Posts
we can throw a map to yeah. so you dont have to dyno. thanks for the review. we well look into those minor issues your having. which all seem easy to fix.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i could notice a good difference after the install, in the mid and top end pull....crisper sound too!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Garrett @ Aug 14 2008, 06:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11106
we can throw a map to yeah. so you dont have to dyno. thanks for the review. we well look into those minor issues your having. which all seem easy to fix.
Got mine on order
i'm running dasa & kx cams...not sure if your set up is similar Garrett..It'll definitely be dyno'd though so that it's properly tuned but i'll give your map a try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd love to run something like that, but... Water/mud doesn't combust real well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (fatglide @ Aug 17 2008, 03:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11163
What map are you running, I was told to use Fuelatvs map
the fuelatv map would be a good start.....but may run a little lean up top i think....

i built my own map.....but its for kx bike cams and motoworks exh....

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Aug 19 2008, 08:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11209
+1....unless you are submerging your quad you should be fine with the box...
A typical ride up here can, and usually does, consist of lots of mud, huge puddles, small creeks, etc. I'd much prefer to run a closed box (Box, as in 6 sides. The "air box" versions of most intakes consist of a bottom, sides, and possibly one other panel) system that still flows well. I think I've satisfied that relatively well; I bought a CFM air box/intake, custom fabbed an aluminum lid with the EHS racing lid bolted on top. Every thing's gasketed, and I bet if I were to submerge it completely, it would be watertight. Overkill for the sand? Definitely. But I'd rather be safe up here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (Slaytanic454 @ Aug 20 2008, 12:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11218
A typical ride up here can, and usually does, consist of lots of mud, huge puddles, small creeks, etc. I'd much prefer to run a closed box (Box, as in 6 sides. The "air box" versions of most intakes consist of a bottom, sides, and possibly one other panel) system that still flows well. I think I've satisfied that relatively well; I bought a CFM air box/intake, custom fabbed an aluminum lid with the EHS racing lid bolted on top. Every thing's gasketed, and I bet if I were to submerge it completely, it would be watertight. Overkill for the sand? Definitely. But I'd rather be safe up here.

So does our "airbox version" come with s a six sides. what you see here is non airbox version. if you have to run a lid i suggest run a stock intake. you could make a lid for our box if you like. If you still have to pull from a 2inch hole on a lid, i dont see why going to anything other than a stock setup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (Garrett @ Aug 21 2008, 11:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11260
So does our "airbox version" come with s a six sides. what you see here is non airbox version. if you have to run a lid i suggest run a stock intake. you could make a lid for our box if you like. If you still have to pull from a 2inch hole on a lid, i dont see why going to anything other than a stock setup.
I'm not pulling air through a 2 inch hole on the lid. Don't know if you missed that part, but I stated I made a custom lid with an EHS pre-filter cover. (http://www.ehsracing.com/products/kfx450r_airbox_EHS.htm) I also said most intakes come that way; as I've never seen yours, it wasn't included in that statement.

You designed an intake for the KFX, so surely you must have taken a look at the stock one that came off. Had you have done that, you'd see that the lid definitely isn't the sole problem; the entire thing is useless. (Also, you say I shouldn't bother running a lid, yet your intake box comes with 6 sides... Doesn't that suggest that there's a lid on it?)

·
Registered
53 Posts
So Fuel's set up is still king? Dasa, Fuel's Intake, and PCIII? 46.3HP?

·
Registered
10 Posts
every dyno is different. Fuel intake will make an honest 2 hp less from 6000rpm on.

Slay, calm down bud i wsnt attacking you. Air getting thin up there? Im glad your happy with your EHS lid. YOu acted like what you saw in the pics was our box version. i just wanted to clear things up.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine should be here and dyno'd by next weekend..ill post up what I find as well..hoping for some nice pick up! This will be my last performance mod.

Update, ok the box arrived today, I should have left my quad at the delaer instead of picking it up this morning...now I gotta go and drop it off

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (Garrett @ Aug 23 2008, 01:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11293
every dyno is different. Fuel intake will make an honest 2 hp less from 6000rpm on.
Slay, calm down bud i wsnt attacking you. Air getting thin up there? Im glad your happy with your EHS lid. YOu acted like what you saw in the pics was our box version. i just wanted to clear things up.
Haha the air's always thin up here. Colder than down there though

I wasn't trying to get defensive, I was just trying to do the same thing you were; clear up the details of what I'm actually running. I may have even bought your box version, the tube and filter look like they could flow a decent amount of air, but I got the CFM box/intake for well under $200 and already had a 4" K&N filter. (And am now regretting buying the intake filter/flange kit earlier on... Anyone wanna buy a 4" aluminum intake flange?)

Do you have any pictures of the box? I checked out your website and couldn't find any.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (Vance @ Aug 23 2008, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11288
So Fuel's set up is still king? Dasa, Fuel's Intake, and PCIII? 46.3HP?
ignorance is king......dyno all tend to be different...all of them, even exact same make and model.....
........my bike has a motoworks exh............not a DASA...
.......this was also ran on GNCC"S which kill the hp #S......

DYNO SHEET #'s SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR BEFORE AND AFTER IMPROVEMENTS>>>>NOT TO COMPARE TO ONE ANOTHER.....ther are too many variables.....tires, tire pressure...how tight the bike id straped down, position on the dyno, engine temp, fuel, air temp and atmosphere pressure....the last two are use in mathmatically calculating the CORRECTED #'S

·
Registered
53 Posts
QUOTE (dlkfx450 @ Aug 23 2008, 10:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11313
ignorance is king......dyno all tend to be different...all of them, even exact same make and model.....
........my bike has a motoworks exh............not a DASA...
.......this was also ran on GNCC"S which kill the hp #S......
DYNO SHEET #'s SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR BEFORE AND AFTER IMPROVEMENTS>>>>NOT TO COMPARE TO ONE ANOTHER.....ther are too many variables.....tires, tire pressure...how tight the bike id straped down, position on the dyno, engine temp, fuel, air temp and atmosphere pressure....the last two are use in mathmatically calculating the CORRECTED #'S
True, but it seems to carry alot of weight around here, and other forums. Most every topic that has anything to do with pipes, intakes all talk Dyno numbers. Even this thread you started has dyno in it and compairsons between Trinity, and FCI. Should we ignore FuelATV,s pipe comparissions? Confuesed!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts