Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on another site. I found It very interesting. This person works for a Kawa Dealer.

I attended a tech training class at Kawasaki for the KFX450 and one of the great topics was hard starting issues and how to address them. Initially the Kawasaki Techs told customers to adjust the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) voltage to .62 volts at closed throttle. The usable range is .58 to .62 volts. Setting the voltage to the top of the range helped somewhat. Team Green had a year to work out the kinks and here is the information they presented.

The 5 settings for better starting:
1. Set Idle speed to 1850. Very important for optimal starting.
2. Make sure the battery is fully charged. This is NOT a CDI system. It is a TCBI (battery) based ignition, so the battery plays a very important roll in starting the machine.
3. Verify the Vehicle Down Sensor (VDS) is mounted in its designed mounting point. The VDS mounts using a piece of rubber and slips off easily. Kawasaki recommends using zip ties to make sure it stays in the correct orientation.
4. Use the knob starting circuit always. Be careful pulling out the knob as this knob also twists and that changes your RPM. Kawasaki recommends using the start circuit almost always, unless the engine is really hot.
5. DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE!!!! Wait, did you get that one? DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE!!! If/when the ECU reads the throttle opening more then 5%, it shuts down the FI & Ignition, so the machine will no longer get any fuel or spark.

Well, I hope this sheds some light on the hard starting issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
good to know. mine takes quite a while to turn over when cool

·
Registered
637 Posts
Some good info & rule of thumb items....I do pull the speed control knob out sometimes..especially when the battery does it's infamous "drain" and I have to kick start it..it generally starts right up then.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good info m8, thanx!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts