Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KFX 450 dry weight 364 lbs.
YFZ dry weight 350 lbs.

Aluminum frame and still heavier than the YFZ! Whats the reason for this? I was hoping it would be a couple lbs. lighter than the YFZ. Does the transmission weigh that much more or is the frame actually heavier than the steel frames? Any ideas or comments?

·
Registered
191 Posts
the plastics look like it might weight more than the yfz plastics

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Fast1 @ Mar 19 2007, 11:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=615
wider a-arms and rear axle add some weight

Im pretty sure the YFZ has a wider wheel base. (YFZ 50.4" and KFX 49.4")

I haven't seen one up close yet but it looks like a very sturdy machine. Does anyone know how much the frame alone weighs. I would be interested in seeing how much lighter it is then the YFZ's frame. Even though it's a lighter metal maybe there is more of it?

Plus, none of us drive our quads dry so it's the wet weight we should be concerend about. Haven't been able to find any numbers for that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (sparkster @ Mar 23 2007, 11:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=675
Im pretty sure the YFZ has a wider wheel base. (YFZ 50.4" and KFX 49.4")

I haven't seen one up close yet but it looks like a very sturdy machine. Does anyone know how much the frame alone weighs. I would be interested in seeing how much lighter it is then the YFZ's frame. Even though it's a lighter metal maybe there is more of it?

Plus, none of us drive our quads dry so it's the wet weight we should be concerend about. Haven't been able to find any numbers for that.
With the same amount of fuel in the tank similar oil and coolant capacities I'd say the weight gap will not change signifigantly using 'wet weight'.

And I was a lot more excited about the KFX before I say its dry weight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My kfx wieghed in at 379 out of the box and my yfz wieghed in at 414 out of the box and my ltr wieghed in at 409 out of the box. Thats no fuel and never been ran. thats right out of the crate. and i am using certified scales. sames scales nascar uses for the wieghing of thier cars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (ERIC 776 @ Mar 27 2007, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732
My kfx wieghed in at 379 out of the box and my yfz wieghed in at 414 out of the box and my ltr wieghed in at 409 out of the box. Thats no fuel and never been ran. thats right out of the crate. and i am using certified scales. sames scales nascar uses for the wieghing of thier cars.
414lbs. OMFG! It must have had coolant in it and oil? About 64lbs. of something anway! A certified scale is great- but what about the calibration? I don't suppose you weighed all of them the same day?

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (06YFZ449 @ Mar 28 2007, 11:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=757
414lbs. OMFG! It must have had coolant in it and oil? About 64lbs. of something anway! A certified scale is great- but what about the calibration? I don't suppose you weighed all of them the same day?
The scales get calibrated once a week. We use these scales everyday so they need to be accuate and calibrated often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
to the fella with the wheel base comment, wheel base is a measurment between front axle and rear axle. AKA length between the two. i dont know how you got that confused with width, but you certainly did

and about the dry weights of each quad. i realize that the company might be off a few pounds here and there, but 64 pounds is unheard of. are you sure you didnt have a foot on the scale when you took the reading

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will say this, when I had my kfx 400 and my new kfx 450 sitting side by side, it is much easier to lift both the front of the 450 and the rear than it was the 400. The 450 feels significantly lighter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
by the bicep test i know the ltr feels the heaviest, which it is stated as being, but it feels significantly more than the kfx and moderately more than the trx/yfz, which doesnt make sense because in theory there should only be a 6lb difference than the kfx and ltr

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes, Yamaha lied about the weight of the YFZ. thats been fact for a while now.

The frame for the KFX weights 26 pounds...and Fuel injection, reverse, battery, electric start add quite a bit of weght....F.I. adds more weight then you would think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dry weights are a joke, I once used a certified scale for my kfx400, trx400, and raptor660... was amazed at the weights, no where near dry weight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just lifting one end of quads doesnt tell you anything because they all have different weight distributions so one might feel heavier then the other because it has more weight distributed up front then another one does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts