Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANYBODY GOT A GOOD REASON WHY I SHOULD KEEP MY KFX AND NOT GO GET THE YFZ ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
One reason, KFX has reverse, YFZ no reverse. if thats not an issue pick the one you like better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (texaskfx450 @ May 12 2008, 04:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8890
ANYBODY GOT A GOOD REASON WHY I SHOULD KEEP MY KFX AND NOT GO GET THE YFZ ?
I guess my question would be why would
you want to get rid of the KFX to get a YFZ ?

What does a YFZ do for you that a KFX doesn't ?

Don't get me wrong.... I believe EVERYONE
should ride, ride often, and ride whatever turns
THEM ON when the start button is toggled. Oh
yea ride SAFELY too, no one should ever ride
without proper gear or while loaded !

LTGTR,

Andy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (On_All_4s @ May 13 2008, 12:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8907
I guess my question would be why would
you want to get rid of the KFX to get a YFZ ?

What does a YFZ do for you that a KFX doesn't ?

Don't get me wrong.... I believe EVERYONE
should ride, ride often, and ride whatever turns
THEM ON when the start button is toggled. Oh
yea ride SAFELY too, no one should ever ride
without proper gear or while loaded !

LTGTR,
Andy

i want to get rid of my kfx because of little issues like the tps sensor trouble i had with it, and the other day on the dunes the thing just quit!? Finally traced that down to a short in the main wiring harness. it is a good bike and i am still on the fence about getting rid of it... i just want to be able to trust the thing and it kinda has me gun shy right now. all the electrical crap just makes it something you can't fix out in the middle of nowhere. i'm a fan of the carb too!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I know it probably won't help but you could always call & write kawi cust service and see what they have to say (probably not a whole lot) but certainly you could reference ALL the user forums you post on and how you've seen others with similar issues, I agree that the bike should be dependable and i'd be upset if that happened to me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (texaskfx450 @ May 13 2008, 05:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8917
i want to get rid of my kfx because of little issues like the tps sensor trouble i had with it, and the other day on the dunes the thing just quit!? Finally traced that down to a short in the main wiring harness. it is a good bike and i am still on the fence about getting rid of it... i just want to be able to trust the thing and it kinda has me gun shy right now. all the electrical crap just makes it something you can't fix out in the middle of nowhere. i'm a fan of the carb too!
EFI can seem intimidating at first, but it is the wave of the future... Soon all quads will be EFI, especially as emissions controls spread ever broader. The issues you mentioned can happen to any quad--some carb-equipped bikes feature a TPS as well, and a harness fault seems very much like a fluke.

I can't think of one thing that a new YFZ does better than the KFX. The only advantage to speak of, and it certainly isn't a huge one, is that the new Yammie shocks are pretty darn good out of the box... Otherwise, the KFX has the tech advantage (alum frame, efi, reverse, etc.).

Still, as others have said, if a YFZ floats your boat, then you should get it. Ride what makes you happy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think a lot of the issues we are seeing are honestly related to the fact that we are the ones truly testing the quad. This is a first year quad and there are sure to be bugs and some flaws. As long as Kawasaki addresses them the quad should only get better.

Rhino1 I think is truly right about EFI it is the way all quads will be in the near future. Just like in automobiles it will take a bit of time to fully catch on and there will be those that still choose the carb, mainly because they feel more comfortable with it but, the mainstream will be EFI based.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (raredirt @ May 13 2008, 06:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8957
I think a lot of the issues we are seeing are honestly related to the fact that we are the ones truly testing the quad. This is a first year quad and there are sure to be bugs and some flaws. As long as Kawasaki addresses them the quad should only get better.

Rhino1 I think is truly right about EFI it is the way all quads will be in the near future. Just like in automobiles it will take a bit of time to fully catch on and there will be those that still choose the carb, mainly because they feel more comfortable with it but, the mainstream will be EFI based.

AFTER COUNTLESS HRS. OF DEBATING THE ISSUE I BELIEVE I AM GOING TO KEEP THE DANG THING... DON'T GET ME WRONG I LOVE THE BIKE, I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO GET AWAY FROM THE HOUSE AND BE ABLE TO TRUST IT!. AND HE IS RIGHT WE ARE TESTING THE MACHINE FOR SURE... MAYBE AFTER THIS LITTLE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM SHE WILL BE GOOD TO GO! NEXT STOP IN THE SHOP WILL BE CAMS! I HAD SOME SAND STARS ON AT THE DUNES AND COULDN'T HOOK FOR NOTHING. NEXT YEAR ITS CAMS AND NEW PADDLES! AND INTAKE OF COURSE! THANKS, YA'LL FOR THE REPLIES! I AM ALSO GOING TO NEED SOME HELP ON CHOOSING THE CAMS... SOUNDS LIKE THERE ARE A FEW TO CHOOSE FROM....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maybe by the time next year when you get cams, someone will actually have a cam shootout. We were promise already by a couple of different companies, but nothing yet.

Larry

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Atving4Christ @ May 15 2008, 09:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9037
Maybe by the time next year when you get cams, someone will actually have a cam shootout. We were promise already by a couple of different companies, but nothing yet.

Larry
If we all compare notes on the different cams we have we can probably come up with some decent directional-type shoot out of our own...Although I don't claim to be the cam guru, i don't know i'd believe that the kx cams compared against hot cams will show a huge difference in overall HP (assuming all other mods are the same), I picked up 2hp gain with the kx, I think the main difference would be at what RPM the pick up is realized (where the cams deliver the hp). But id still like to know for sure!

Texas, congrats on your decision, you made the right choice!

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (texaskfx450 @ May 15 2008, 08:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9030
AFTER COUNTLESS HRS. OF DEBATING THE ISSUE I BELIEVE I AM GOING TO KEEP THE DANG THING... DON'T GET ME WRONG I LOVE THE BIKE, I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO GET AWAY FROM THE HOUSE AND BE ABLE TO TRUST IT!. AND HE IS RIGHT WE ARE TESTING THE MACHINE FOR SURE... MAYBE AFTER THIS LITTLE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM SHE WILL BE GOOD TO GO! NEXT STOP IN THE SHOP WILL BE CAMS! I HAD SOME SAND STARS ON AT THE DUNES AND COULDN'T HOOK FOR NOTHING. NEXT YEAR ITS CAMS AND NEW PADDLES! AND INTAKE OF COURSE! THANKS, YA'LL FOR THE REPLIES! I AM ALSO GOING TO NEED SOME HELP ON CHOOSING THE CAMS... SOUNDS LIKE THERE ARE A FEW TO CHOOSE FROM....
I just got done installing the Crower intake cam and the KX exhaust cam. havent gotten a chance to ride it yet. Once I get it tuned I'll post up my results for everyone.

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (450Duner @ May 15 2008, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9044
I just got done installing the Crower intake cam and the KX exhaust cam. havent gotten a chance to ride it yet. Once I get it tuned I'll post up my results for everyone.
Nice! its awesome pick up mid/high range..I only got about 5 minutes max on the new cams so don't have a full appreciation for them yet but I like what i see so far

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (texaskfx450 @ May 15 2008, 09:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9030
I just wanted to make a statment I have raced and owend every sport quad except the ktm and polaris predator and had bulit 4 national level yfz 450 . I am now on the kawsaki and well say at first was a little worried about the move but I have given them the time and could not be any happer my lap times have gotten faster and the the bike realy does handle well with a good front end I looked at it like this when I made my choice. The yfz was one of the nicest atv's of it's time. But now it's day is over and it is just another great four wheeler from the past and purchasing one would not be smart cause you would be paying full price for som thing that is worth half the market is going to fall on the yfz since there is a new yamaha that's going to hit the track this next spring march 09 and once again the magazine well have lot's to talk about for know you have the best four wheeler IMO !!!!!!!! good luck

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (kevinpowerski @ May 16 2008, 09:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9100
I just wanted to make a statment I have raced and owend every sport quad except the ktm and polaris predator and had bulit 4 national level yfz 450 . I am now on the kawsaki and well say at first was a little worried about the move but I have given them the time and could not be any happer my lap times have gotten faster and the the bike realy does handle well with a good front end I looked at it like this when I made my choice. The yfz was one of the nicest atv's of it's time. But now it's day is over and it is just another great four wheeler from the past and purchasing one would not be smart cause you would be paying full price for som thing that is worth half the market is going to fall on the yfz since there is a new yamaha that's going to hit the track this next spring march 09 and once again the magazine well have lot's to talk about for know you have the best four wheeler IMO !!!!!!!! good luck
I'd agree, sooner or later everybody gets in the spotlight until something new comes along..its not that different from a PC where someones always coming up with newer and better, but the quads don't really become obsolete to the extent that a pc does..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts