Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I love the sight glass...
EVERYTHING should have one.

I want to change the oil and filter.

I'm open to recommendations on both.

I usually try to use the best within reason, because I prefer to drain often on most things, and I am not stingy about filters either. I change them and use good ones.

I just don't really have a clue on this engine though... other than I realize it probably needs and deserves special attention.

I don't know what filter fits much less what to get. I don't have access to "boutique" oils, and I do not typically buy into the manufacturer's oil, because ATV mfg's manufacture ATV's not oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use Amsoil 20w50 and high flow filters. Both of these products are very good. I live in South AL so I prefer this thicker weight oil. Depending on your climate you may want to use a thinner weight like 10w40.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i mainly use 10-40 also and k&n filters!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot about this thread on this forum...

I went with HiFloFiltro filters...
I think they make the k&n motorcycle filters...
I can see no difference...

I went with Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic.
I could tell right away it was a pretty good choice.

However, I can now also tell it's fading fast...

I don't know if it is just me, but I can feel when to change the oil by the feel of the gearbox.
When it starts feeling normal instead of a work of art, I change the oil and it returns to a work of art...

I don't know if this thing is super hard on oil and will need frequent changes with anything, but I will not be running the Shell 5w40 again until I try some others.

I believe it needs a stronger oil, or a 50.

I'm thinking I will try the 15w50 Mobil 1 next, and move on up from there.
If that doesn't satisfy me, I will try the Amsoil Motorcyle 20w50 I think....................

·
Registered
30 Posts
QUOTE (Duster @ May 9 2009, 02:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17091
Forgot about this thread on this forum...

I went with HiFloFiltro filters...
I think they make the k&n motorcycle filters...
I can see no difference...

I went with Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic.
I could tell right away it was a pretty good choice.

However, I can now also tell it's fading fast...

I don't know if it is just me, but I can feel when to change the oil by the feel of the gearbox.
When it starts feeling normal instead of a work of art, I change the oil and it returns to a work of art...

I don't know if this thing is super hard on oil and will need frequent changes with anything, but I will not be running the Shell 5w40 again until I try some others.

I believe it needs a stronger oil, or a 50.

I'm thinking I will try the 15w50 Mobil 1 next, and move on up from there.
If that doesn't satisfy me, I will try the Amsoil Motorcyle 20w50 I think....................
I like the Amsoil bc it's design for wet clutches. I put it in everything, my ktm 520exc, my GSXR1000, and the Kawi. So I buy it by the gallon. Amsoil will let anyone be a dealer check it out on their website, it saves you some cash. The more you buy the cheaper it gets. Last time I bought 4 gallons and it came out to a lil over $8 a quart. Around here in bike shops it's about $11 a quart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts