Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
fuelatv, fuelcustoms, and i believe trp all make good intake systems. i've got a fuelatv intake and i like it a lot

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (kawirider @ Feb 21 2009, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16199
can some people suggest a good intake to buy

I am going to buy the KOQ intake because you can use the stock airbox. That means you can have an airbox lid. I am not sure what kind of riding you do but I need a lid. It uses the LTR 450 tube with custom pats to make it work and I hear it flows really great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (bones @ Feb 22 2009, 12:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16207
I made the same one as koq for about $50 bucks. ltr boot off ebay the rest at schucks nice products though.
I have heard other people say it is that easy to do but when I called KOQ I was told that the alum. intke piece was made with a special angle and there is also another alum. ring that they include in the kit. I understand the airbox brakets would be easy to make but what about the angled intake piece and the ring to make the ltr intake tube hook up with kfx T-body.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fuel Customs. Why would you need a lid? The fuel customs you can get a box and it comes with a outerwear thats water proof I haven't had any problems with it so far and it looks awesome and makes the most HP.

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (masterp0606 @ Feb 22 2009, 06:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16213
Fuel Customs. Why would you need a lid? The fuel customs you can get a box and it comes with a outerwear thats water proof I haven't had any problems with it so far and it looks awesome and makes the most HP.

I ride in very wet and nasty conditions often. We have a lot of creek crossings and do a fair bit of riding up and down creeks (I know I should have a 4x4 but I like the performance of the 450). Anyways I have an air box lid which has an outerwear filter as the lid. It flows great but even with that I still get water intrusion on the deep creeks and have to pull the drain plug off after riding. Sometimes the ATV will sink in a deep creek and the top of the air box will briefly have a decent amount of water wash over the top but the outerwear filter will stop enough of it to prevent damage. I have to run an air box lid for some of the riding I do and it seems like the KOQ intake flows better than stock while being able to retain an air box lid. I would like to maximize power but I am not going to change my riding style in order to get a hair more power. I figure I will install the KOQ intake and some stage 2 hot cams. I want to keep my bottom end power so I am not going install the stage 3 cams.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Even if you get the stock air box that deep it will get water in it. I would say you could buy some sort of outerwear and wrap it around the box or something.But these quads really aren't for stuff like a 4by4 and even those aren't spos to be buried in water without a snorkel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (bones @ Feb 23 2009, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16221
$350 bucks for a koq intake I would go fci for that price. Its not hard at all to make there are more then a few posts that show how to make one I also ride in very muddy wet conditions I went with ehs lid never submerged the air box though
I am using the EHS racing air box lid also and I like it but I want to have a better intake. That is why I am leaning more towards the KOQ intake and still being able to use the factory air box. I think FCI will flow great but I am not trying to rig up panty hose over my air box or something like that. I want an intake that can run a factory fitting lid and still flow better than stock. Does anyone know how much better than stock FCI flows? I hear KOQ is about 10%- 15% more air CFM than stock. If FCI had an option for a lid I would have already bought it. The only thing that is holding me back from buying the KOQ intake is it seems to be a bit pricy for what you get. I have called and spoken with KOQ and they seems to be great on the phone and tell me that the machining cost for the parts is just really high being that is alum. Piece that bolts to the air box is angled. KOQ told me that they only make about $35 off every intake.

·
Registered
112 Posts
$350 for basically stock airbox with a ltr tube seems alil high to me . Before I dropped that kinda money n one . Why don't u just get an ltr tube and try any fit it yourself ? Surely it's not that hard . Their only $26 at alba . Anywhere u can but oem parts will have them

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Thomas @ Feb 23 2009, 12:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16224
I am using the EHS racing air box lid also and I like it but I want to have a better intake. That is why I am leaning more towards the KOQ intake and still being able to use the factory air box. I think FCI will flow great but I am not trying to rig up panty hose over my air box or something like that. I want an intake that can run a factory fitting lid and still flow better than stock. Does anyone know how much better than stock FCI flows? I hear KOQ is about 10%- 15% more air CFM than stock. If FCI had an option for a lid I would have already bought it. The only thing that is holding me back from buying the KOQ intake is it seems to be a bit pricy for what you get. I have called and spoken with KOQ and they seems to be great on the phone and tell me that the machining cost for the parts is just really high being that is alum. Piece that bolts to the air box is angled. KOQ told me that they only make about $35 off every intake.
For the record I work for my familys business and deal with invoices and prices. No one will ever tell you how much they make off of it. for instance we install/sell windows for living and we double almost the cost of what we get it for :). but I say the same thing and KOQ are a lil pricey and I have heard all good things about fuel customs. we all make choices in life and learn so do what you want because its your quad not ours

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking to put a intake on my kfx 450r as well. I don't know much about them them i'v heard different things about them i'v been told the fuelatv intake makes best hp? And i have also heard that fci made most hp, i am bassically stuck between those to and was wondering if somebody could tell me witch one is better. When i go for a drive i usually dont see much water like i migth drive threw the odd puddle if its a wet day and if its a dry day thats the only time i ever see dust. I would mostly perfer getting the one that will produce the most hp but i want it to have good protection as well. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.