Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set of Hot Cams and it runs great! It pulls much harder through every gear. I think i need to add some fuel up top but not for sure. If anybody has put cams in and had to make fuel changes let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Heyy i was thinking of doing the same thing to mine this spring. I was wondering.. do you have to run higher octane fuel?

also where did you get them from? as well as what power commander settings are you running?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (k4f5x0r @ Mar 11 2008, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7208
Heyy i was thinking of doing the same thing to mine this spring. I was wondering.. do you have to run higher octane fuel?

also where did you get them from? as well as what power commander settings are you running?
No, you do not have to run a higher octene fuel, A high compression piston is really the only thing that requires a higher octane fuel. I got mine directly from HOT CAMS. Iam using a modified fuel map that I made but i think I need to make some changes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
alright. It says on hotcams that it isnt found for some reason. But did you notice a big change in the performance of the bike?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are stage 3 cams i only got the stage 2 cams, because when i talked to HOT CAMS they said you wont notice any more gains with the stage 3 cams unless you have a big bore kit so i just have the stage 2 cams. I noticed a definite gain in power. It pulls much harder through all gears. and the top end power is amazing. It revs much quicker as well.

As for the install, it was a lot easier then i thought it was going to be. I bought a service manual and followed it. It gave step by step instructions and was fairly easy. If you are engine savvy then you wont have a problem. I would definitely buy a service manual if you plan on doing any other mods or are just planning a rebuild, It is a little over an inch thick and SHOWS ALL! I would do it yourself unless you don't think you could do it.
If you have any questions please let me know.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Any dyno sheets showing the before and after new cam install? I'm considering getting that done once the summer arrives but im curious how the quad performs and what the gains are..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Mar 20 2008, 02:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7468
Any dyno sheets showing the before and after new cam install? I'm considering getting that done once the summer arrives but im curious how the quad performs and what the gains are..
I have not yet gone to the dyno. I have a couple more things i need to do until then. You will definately notice a difference in power. Mid - Top end is where you notice the power. I am not for sure but i think i might have lost a little low end power, but that may also be a result from the new tires i just got.

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (william @ Mar 20 2008, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7469
I have not yet gone to the dyno. I have a couple more things i need to do until then. You will definately notice a difference in power. Mid - Top end is where you notice the power. I am not for sure but i think i might have lost a little low end power, but that may also be a result from the new tires i just got.
Thanks, I have a few months before I beging doing that but I look forward to an update..

·
Registered
285 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Mar 20 2008, 11:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7470
Thanks, I have a few months before I beging doing that but I look forward to an update..
ill be dynoing next saturday @ HCI..... added the kx 450 cams...solid gain throughout, no loss, even with the 21" rears added at the same time..........

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (dlkfx450 @ Mar 20 2008, 08:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7474
ill be dynoing next saturday @ HCI..... added the kx 450 cams...solid gain throughout, no loss, even with the 21" rears added at the same time..........
Well i dont think i lost anything, i just couldnt get the holeshot last weekedn, cuz my new tires just flat out hooked up in the tall grass that we started out on. I would sky wheelie in first and it would bog a lil in second. But i will find out in a couple weeks as to how much HP i am making.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts