Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant decide between the 2. I had my mind set on the kfx until I found out that I starts hard unless you download something onto your pclll. I now might want the ltr because I havent heard about any starting problems. What do you guys think about the motoworks fuel management controller? It says you dont have to download anything. I dont want the pclll because I dont know anything about tuning/downloading programs onto it. I dont even have a laptop. After finding all of this confusing stuff about efi I might have to get an Outlaw 525s. Can somebody please help me?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got the kfx and never had any starting problems. Also got the motoworks fuel controller full motoworks system and a verlocity filter ,i just plug the controller in a real easy job run on the base map it made a big differance. Have not tried messing about with it but if someone knows how to set it better please let me know.

·
Registered
637 Posts
From what I've read and experienced, the only starting issue was when it was brand new and only for the first few hours..once the quad started breaking in that quickly went away. They are two different bikes, two different rides and feel extremely different...Too many variables to simply say one is the right bike for you

·
Registered
18 Posts
My buddy rides an LTR and when I was looking for a new machine he tried to steer me in that direction. I have ridden his bike, and it is a great machine with tons of power, especially with the Yosh Cherry Bomb added. Where else can you get that kind of performance increase for $40. The problem I have with the LTR is the suspension. It is pretty stiff and tends to throw you around a little more than I would like. I am disabled (although you'd never know it when I ride) and when the bike starts to kick I find it hard to keep my center, and keep my feet planted on the pegs. I also find the controls are a bit awkward for a guy my size. Other than that, I think it is a great looking machine with power to spare.

In the end I choose the KFX mostly because of the reverse factor, and the looks. For trail riding reverse is a must. I never had it on my old quad (a Bombardier DS650), but now that I have it I'm never giving it up. The suspension on the KFX is nice and I find it a bit smoother than the LTR, but with that being said it still took some adjustments to get it there. Ergonomically I find my KFX much more comfortable than my buddy's LTR, but that could just be a matter of what I am used to. Power wise, I can't compare since his bike has a few mods and I haven't done mine yet, but I am convinced that after I install my new pipe, PCIII and open up the air flow I will beating him off the line, and all the way down the track.

I would say the LTR probably handles a little better than the KFX just because it is wider, and lower, if you can get past the stiffness in the front end. But they are both great handling machines that are relatively light and easy to throw around. With a few tweaks and adjustments, and maybe some aftermarket upgrades they both have the potential to turn on a dime and handle like their on rails.

The only complaints I have with my KFX is that the seat is a little hard and there is some vibration at high RPMs due to the alluminum frame. Both of these issues can be easy handled with a few after market purchases.

I did notice some hard starting issues through the winter when it was a little colder, but it wasn't so much a starting issue. It was more of an idling issue. She always fires right up, but without a choke or fast idle it can sometimes be tough to get the bike to idle when she's cold. But it just means keeping your thumb on the thottle a little for the first minute or two and after that you're good to go. But at the same time, I'm hoping with a little bit of tuning that will get better as well. And now that the weather is starting to warm up, the problem is gone. I can start it up and walk away with the motor purring like a kitten.

At the end of the day whichever machine you choose to buy is going to come down to your own personal preference, needs, and desires. But although for me the KFX was a better choice, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these two bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This might just be me but when someone post a question about which bike would be best for them the people on this site tell the way they see it even if it goes against the kfx. Evey other site just seems to say their bike is better,there are such nice people on here. Then again it might just be me thinking this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Nigwell @ Mar 6 2008, 10:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7063
I've got the kfx and never had any starting problems. Also got the motoworks fuel controller full motoworks system and a verlocity filter ,i just plug the controller in a real easy job run on the base map it made a big differance. Have not tried messing about with it but if someone knows how to set it better please let me know.

I think thats the setup I want to go with. Does your kfx start easy running on the base map? And what do you use to clean and oil the velocity air filter. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The PCIII is very easy to use. Downloading a map to it doesnt take an advance degree from Harvard. The PCIII can be taken off the quad and you then could hook it up to your computer, download the map and then reattach it to the quad. Plus the PCIII has way more adjustments then the manufacture specific controllers.

Mine starts fine. Those who have had issues just need to verify that their TPS voltage is correct.

Cleaning the velocity filter is just like cleaning a K&N.

Purchase the KFX you wont regret it. Couple of mods and your hanging with everyone else with no problem.

Even if you leave it stock the only upgrade is a softer seat, but I hear the new ones now come with a softer seat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You don't need a PCIII to be happy. Can you extract more HP and a better curve with a PCIII and a proven map or some dyno time? For sure. But even a simple fuel controller that requires NO PC attachment will work wonders for the KFX (I installed my Trinity Controller before any of my mods and saw instant improvement).

And our bikes DO have a fast idle--pull on the little black button to set it, and push it to release it. Twist the black button to set the idle speed. Very convenient and easy.

And as far as hard-starting is concerned. I noticed that if you keep your thumb off the throttle and just hit the start button (with the fast idle set), starting is never a problem.

The bike can stay with any other 450 stock. With some light mods, you'll be handing a few opther quads their ass. It's a great bike--I could have bought any make quad I wanted, and have no particular affinity for Kawasaki, but this quad just looked and felt right to me. It has a trick-ass aluminum frame, great looking lines, and a fantastic engine.

One of my best friends bought an LTR450 after I bought my KFX. Its a nice bike--no doubt about it. But I know I made the right decision...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love mine. Still waiting on my 4.1 fmf to come in. Oh, how I love back order. Anyway, I must be the only one that likes the seat how it is. I thought the others too soft for me. I do miss my z400 though. Starting has never been an issue. Just have to get use to not hitting the gas on start up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.