Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

First post, so please be gentle...

I'm on the market for a new quad, and since I like to research things before I buy them, I started looking into quad foruns searching for information.
I was leaning towards the LTR, but the transmission problems are scary, to say the least. I previously owned a 07 model for a very short period of time, and was aware of the tranny issues at the time. So now I went back to ltr foruns to check out if the 08 changes had really been efective at adressing this issue. To my disbelieve I found out these changes were actually for the worse, and those gearboxes are just falling apart.
Very disturbing.

So, since I don't like the honda and I don't want to buy a yamaha from the local dealer, I decided to check out the KFX.
Well, I was amazed at the amount of problems people are reporting in foruns.
Electrical, electronics, bateries, crackshafts, tie-rods, lights going on and off, quads that just stop working altogether, oil leaks, TPS, boggind under hard aceleration, etc etc.
Scary stuff...

So, since I need a fast AND reliable quad, what is your take on this?
Does the 09 KFX have most of these problems fixed? I know that officially there are no changes apart from "bold new colours", but some "silent updates" must have been carried out. Kawie can't just keep on putting out these models with so many issues.

Is the 09 model any more reliable than the 08?
Am I better off with a KFX than a LTR?
If so, why?

Any help is greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Luis Fraga

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (fraga @ Oct 19 2008, 02:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=12771
Hi guys.

I'm on the market for a new quad, and since I like to research things before I buy them, I started looking into quad foruns searching for information.
I was leaning towards the LTR, but the transmission problems are scary, to say the least. I previously owned a 07 model for a very short period of time, and was aware of the tranny issues at the time. So now I went back to ltr foruns to check out if the 08 changes had really been efective at adressing this issue. To my disbelieve I found out these changes were actually for the worse, and those gearboxes are just falling apart.
Very disturbing.

So, since I don't like the honda and I don't want to buy a yamaha from the local dealer, I decided to check out the KFX.
Electrical, electronics, bateries, crackshafts, tie-rods, lights going on and off, quads that just stop working altogether, oil leaks, TPS, boggind under hard aceleration, etc etc.
Scary stuff...

Does the 09 KFX have most of these problems fixed? I know that officially there are no changes apart from "bold new colours", but some "silent updates" must have been carried out. Kawie can't just keep on putting out these models with so many issues.

If so, why?

Thanks in advance.
Luis Fraga

Welcome! I dont think all of the 08 Kawi's had problems. The only problem that I have had with mine is the stupid taillight falling off on the first ride. The dealer gave me a new one but I installed a LED bar instead. That is the only problem that I have had with mine and I have abused the crap out of it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
well i have an 09 kfx and there are still some problems unfortunately. i have noticed that my bike sometimes leeks from around the shifter. my bike dosent really bog under hard acceleration. no problems with electricals so you dont need to worry. if u want a good trail bike with power when you need it than i suggest getting the 09 kfx. if you want a race bike get a ltr. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (fraga @ Oct 19 2008, 12:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=12771
Hi guys.

Very disturbing.

Scary stuff...

If so, why?

Thanks in advance.
Luis Fraga
me and a friend both have 08 kfx and the only problems weve run into was tail lights falling aprt and front bumpers not protecting head light very well i broke mine fist trip othere than theat we dropped a tooth in the front for trail riding and couldnt be more happy this bike rocks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have on 08 and 3 of my boys have 08's and all four of us have not had any pronlems at all . We ride them every other weekened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (kawarider09 @ Oct 19 2008, 02:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=12774
well i have an 09 kfx and there are still some problems unfortunately. i have noticed that my bike sometimes leeks from around the shifter. my bike dosent really bog under hard acceleration. no problems with electricals so you dont need to worry. if u want a good trail bike with power when you need it than i suggest getting the 09 kfx. if you want a race bike get a ltr. hope this helps.
I haven't had any issues except the tail light, with my KFX and I have at least 300 hrs of HARD riding on it.

As for a leak around the shifter, my son's KFX had the seal go bad at the shifter and it was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have an 08 KFX 450R also, had very little problems, really love the bike! If i where you id lean more towards the KFX, but that is just my opinion!

·
Registered
420 Posts
i just got an 09 kfx450 and its the best bike ive ridden so far my buddy has the ltz450 but its more of a track bike than a trail bike the kawi can play well it both areas plus it has reverse!and my buddy on the ltz450 is always running out of gas in like 3-4 hrs of ridding which sucks!id get the kawi its a great choice!the olny other bike id consider is the polaris 450 its the lightest out of all but dont think its feul injected yet but its supose to be really fast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts