Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my first quad, and I have no idea what's going on...It seems my stock kfx 450r is getting hot and wont start! The temp/fi light keeps blinking at me and wont let me start it...I've had this thing for about a month now, and am just getting over the breakin period. I have no idea what is doing? I stuck my finger in the coolant cause it doesn't seem to be hot and I can hold my hand on the radiator and hoses and nothing is hot. Is this another issue. I would think riding around in arizona the coolant would have to be hot, but I don't know. I'm going to take it to the dealer, but thought I would ask everyone so I can know for myself. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
109 Posts
In my service manual it says something about the light blikning. The number of blinks tells you what the problem is. So if you had a service manual and count the blinks it might save you a costly trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info...I also called the dealer today, and he told me it has something to do with the fuel injection??? He would have to hook it up to the computer to see what kind of codes its throwing. I thought that maybe it was overheating or something...seems to get really hot, but then I don't know how hot it's suppose to get. I'll have to try counting the "blinks" too. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so its not the injector sorry My bike has a ghost problem comes and goes we think it is near the TB

People with the battery problem I have talk to fellow people with the 450 and this bike has stater problems
Which will drain the battery just a thought

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (stockgt @ Apr 29 2008, 12:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8475
Ok so its not the injector sorry My bike has a ghost problem comes and goes we think it is near the TB
People with the battery problem I have talk to fellow people with the 450 and this bike has stater problems
Which will drain the battery just a thought
Not sure about that...my battery drained on me once with no starter issue, i always turn the kill switch off first and the key second, a ghost problem for sure!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know my battery is still working fine...I'm a little suprised cause of how many times I had to try and start it before I figured out the "choke" nob under the seat...it would have been nice if someone had told me about that when I bought it! I found that if I shut the quad down and turned the key off I hold down the starter button and then flip the key to on, and it will start...but if I don't put it in gear and start riding it right away it will die again. I figured that out in the middle of the arizona desert by myself, and was definately not going to push it all the way back! But if I turn the key on and let the lights set up (FL light blinks a couple of times and then turns off) and then try and start it the FL light just blinks at me and just turns over with no start. I will let guys know what the dealer tells me it is when I take it in...May 10...seems to long to wait! Thanks for all your responses!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (onederwhy @ May 1 2008, 07:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8541
I know my battery is still working fine...I'm a little suprised cause of how many times I had to try and start it before I figured out the "choke" nob under the seat...it would have been nice if someone had told me about that when I bought it! I found that if I shut the quad down and turned the key off I hold down the starter button and then flip the key to on, and it will start...but if I don't put it in gear and start riding it right away it will die again. I figured that out in the middle of the arizona desert by myself, and was definately not going to push it all the way back! But if I turn the key on and let the lights set up (FL light blinks a couple of times and then turns off) and then try and start it the FL light just blinks at me and just turns over with no start. I will let guys know what the dealer tells me it is when I take it in...May 10...seems to long to wait! Thanks for all your responses!!!
Get it fixed up and soup'd up because October & dune season will be here before you know it (if we survive the AZ summer!)

·
Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE (socalcracker2 @ Apr 30 2008, 08:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8514
I had an ECU go out in at the beggining of march and I just had another one go out this past weekend. Did the dealer have any idea why yours went out?
They did not say why it was bad. But i have heard of a couple guys have the same problem here and on the other site. so maybe its a factory problem?

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE (william @ May 1 2008, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8554
They did not say why it was bad. But i have heard of a couple guys have the same problem here and on the other site. so maybe its a factory problem?
My buddy that works at the kawi dealership is going to see what he can find out cuz the first one was under warranty but he said that i would have to pay for the 2nd one and they retail for around $300.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok...took it in to the dealer and it was the rollover sensor...so offroadhunter...you get the bonus points for diagnosing it first! Took it out this past weekend and found it's alot more fun to ride the trails up the mountains without it dying on you in the middle of the climb! Thanks again for all your information...I will have to listen much better next time!

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (onederwhy @ May 12 2008, 06:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8878
ok...took it in to the dealer and it was the rollover sensor...so offroadhunter...you get the bonus points for diagnosing it first! Took it out this past weekend and found it's alot more fun to ride the trails up the mountains without it dying on you in the middle of the climb! Thanks again for all your information...I will have to listen much better next time!
Glad to know you got it figured out..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts