Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does anyone know if both intake and exhaust is different from the quads or is it just one cam? also where are you guys getting them from? and finally what is this i hear about advancing timing, how are you doing this and/or why are you doing this, whats the gain?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Both intake and exhaust are different, ordered mine from the dealer, was about $250, i was told to expect very nice pick up in the mid-range with the kx cams, will have them installed over the next three weeks or so and will certainly post up my results with new dyno chart

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the Hot Cams stage 1 kx cams which are stage2 for the quad, and i got a good jump in the mid and high end. But what i noticed the most was it revved a lot faster.

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (william @ May 5 2008, 08:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8662
I have the Hot Cams stage 1 kx cams which are stage2 for the quad, and i got a good jump in the mid and high end. But what i noticed the most was it revved a lot faster.
Are you running stock gearing? I have the 15 up front with the big 3 and I won't be changing the rear at all but I suspect with the new cams it will rev out real fast from 1st-3rd and hopefully be real strong in the upper two. I've raced a few times at the dunes up some pretty big hills and i was sorta inbetween 3rd & 4th without finding a real happy home between the two and im thinking the new cams should solve that problem

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (william @ May 5 2008, 11:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8662
I put the same ones in. I agree! Seen alot on the top end. I am running 14-36 gears.

·
Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ May 5 2008, 10:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8663
Are you running stock gearing? I have the 15 up front with the big 3 and I won't be changing the rear at all but I suspect with the new cams it will rev out real fast from 1st-3rd and hopefully be real strong in the upper two. I've raced a few times at the dunes up some pretty big hills and i was sorta inbetween 3rd & 4th without finding a real happy home between the two and im thinking the new cams should solve that problem

I have same gearing you do a 15t up front the the big three. I think cams would definitely help you out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hot Cams (In My Opinion) are the way to go. They make good power and you dont have to wait two weeks for your old set to get ground. But thats just me. I have heard a lot of good things about web, crower, etc. But i have also heard of some cases where web cams have cracked and chipped off. So do your homework before purcasing something like that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE (Extent Racing 21 @ May 6 2008, 08:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8691
thats the gearing i am going to go with, i think im also getting stage 2 hot cams, thats what my motor builder suggested
Hey Extent, can you share which motor builder you went with. I'm undergoing a rebuild now and have been researching builders for several weeks.

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ May 7 2008, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8708
Anyone have a dyno to post with before and after cams? I'm curious to see the hp gains and performance at the mid/top end..
I don't know how to post my dyno,but I put the cams and a 13.5:1 piston in at the same time redynoed and got 3hp more,1 more foot of tq.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
B)-->
<div class='quotemain'>
I don't know how to post my dyno,but I put the cams and a 13.5:1 piston in at the same time redynoed and got 3hp more,1 more foot of tq.
[/quote]

idk what cam you went with, but with hot cams an intake and a power commander should make way more power than that. also your compression is too low, shoulda went with a 14.5.1

·
Registered
637 Posts
I ws trying to post my new dyno but had no luck so it's on the hq site, here is the link http://kfx450hq.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=1563. Basically had a solid 2hp gain starting at about 6500rpm and stayed throughout the entire rpm, also picked up just under 1lb of torque as well. Pre install was 44.11 and post is 46.33 (my originaly dyno a few months back read 44.43, these things fluctuate a bit from day to day). Took a quick spin and it's sweet(er)!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts