Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering trading my 03 KFX 400 for a new 450R. I haven't been researching much yet, but it seems the magazines generally gave the 450R good reviews, except a few minor things.

Can you tell me if there are any significant issues with the 450R? I am most concerned about major things like fuel injection, gear case, frame, or motor issues. Anything else can be fixed in the aftermarket.

Also, did they make any changes since its debut or are all models the same right now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Only a regearing needs done to get more top end out of this quad. Only issues were tank recall that was dune back in May ish; battery drain which is fixed buy turning the kill on/off switch first then turning the key off before storing; vibration in the handle bars wich I use Fasst Co's handle bar anti vide inserts.

Its a great quad. I have seen a couple of member selling theirs and a reduced cost. Just an option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (AXE @ Jan 13 2008, 11:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5310
I am considering trading my 03 KFX 400 for a new 450R. I haven't been researching much yet, but it seems the magazines generally gave the 450R good reviews, except a few minor things.

Can you tell me if there are any significant issues with the 450R? I am most concerned about major things like fuel injection, gear case, frame, or motor issues. Anything else can be fixed in the aftermarket.

Also, did they make any changes since its debut or are all models the same right now?

Thanks!

The only problems I've had is the berrin carrier went out, but I ride hard ass hell. and right now its either the fuel pump or the relay for the fuel pump went out. other than that Im completely satisfied.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Warranty ! Don't waste ur money by getting a extended one . They will do anything they can to get out of fixing anything . Best bet is to buy a used one from someone who has already had the bugs worked out . With the money u save u can mod it to suit u . And have a great quad !

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did a lot of research on these things before I bought mine and found out that it's true that they do save the best for last. Kawasaki was last to the market with their 450, and I think the extra effort and later release really shows in the end product. I can find no real known issues that are anything to worry about.

It's not the fastest at top speed, but I think it is the best.

If you want it to be the fastest, you have to mod it to the same degree you would anything else.
Needs a computer, intake, exhaust and gearing.

I don't have the terrain or the desire to go 80mph, and my ride is not an extension for my manhood, so I don't have to win drag races to feel better about myself. So I am pretty happy with mine as-is.... and if I need to shut someone's trap I can get out my 400cc 2 stroke. So I am going to focus on doing things to make it a better cross country trail machine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i recently got one in december had a few small issues that were resolved and a big tranny issue which kawi has warrentied!so as for that part i was very satisfied no hassels or anything but the extended warrenty is a waist of money!as for performance i am now the fastest out of my group of buddies and my bike is still stock!im comming off a 06 400ex so this bike is a huge step foward to me but all in all a great bike!if you can buy new i would but there are alot of good deals for used/leftover quads!

·
Registered
79 Posts
QUOTE (ononewheel @ Mar 11 2009, 08:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16455
i recently got one in december had a few small issues that were resolved and a big tranny issue which kawi has warrentied!so as for that part i was very satisfied no hassels or anything but the extended warrenty is a waist of money!as for performance i am now the fastest out of my group of buddies and my bike is still stock!im comming off a 06 400ex so this bike is a huge step foward to me but all in all a great bike!if you can buy new i would but there are alot of good deals for used/leftover quads!
There was a big tranny problem? I never heard about it. What was wrong?

·
Registered
420 Posts
QUOTE (BLU82 @ Mar 13 2009, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16473
There was a big tranny problem? I never heard about it. What was wrong?
about a month ago i was riding and got hung up on a rock i was olny in 1st gear when i went to put it ito reverse and my tranny lockd!i was having problems in the past when i would put into reverse then upshift out of reverse the reverse mechanism wouldnt come back so every now and then i would down shift and go into reverse w/o pressing the reverse lever!needless to say i brought to my dealer after a month they told me a cam cap was in the tranny causing two reverse gears two split apart inside the tranny cracking both my engine cases and destroying 3 gears!they are covering the whole thing which is a 2500 dollar job!they said its a manufacturing defect they were drilling me asking if i ever had the motor apart which i havnt!its been about 6 weeks and should have it back next week!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts