Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, i just bought a 08 kfx. I know the basics for the efi programmers but doint know what to get. Im looking at getting bi gun evo R full system, high vilocity intake and a efi programmer. Not sure which one. Can enyone give me some tips. And also about the dynoing i keep reading about........Not to clear on all that..any tips would be awsome thanks...ride hard...ride safe!!!!! :D

· Premium Member
290 Posts
We recommend getting the Power Commander PCIII by DynoJet. This controller seems to be the most popular out on the market, and has better adjustments throughout the entire powerband then others out on the market. It also has more maps available to use if you are unable to go get a custom tune at a dyno. When you get your bike dynoed, you are getting a custom tune. They will be able to provide you with a fuel map that will be best for your bike and will also be able to tell you how much horse power and torque you will be getting from your quad. When you add an exhaust and an intake, you are adding more air into the engine, so you then need to add more fuel so that your quad will not be running too lean and you can get the best performance out of your quad. The dyno lets you know how much fuel you need to have at different parts of the powerband for your bike to be running at optimum performance. If you use a map from someone else, you will get close to where you will need to be, but not perfection.... Every engine, even if it has the same exact mods on it will run a little different. Two identical bikes, on the same dyno will ask for a little bit different of a fuel curve. That is why it is best to have your bike custom tuned.

Hopes this helps!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (FUELATV @ Mar 26 2009, 05:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16624
We recommend getting the Power Commander PCIII by DynoJet. This controller seems to be the most popular out on the market, and has better adjustments throughout the entire powerband then others out on the market. It also has more maps available to use if you are unable to go get a custom tune at a dyno. When you get your bike dynoed, you are getting a custom tune. They will be able to provide you with a fuel map that will be best for your bike and will also be able to tell you how much horse power and torque you will be getting from your quad. When you add an exhaust and an intake, you are adding more air into the engine, so you then need to add more fuel so that your quad will not be running too lean and you can get the best performance out of your quad. The dyno lets you know how much fuel you need to have at different parts of the powerband for your bike to be running at optimum performance. If you use a map from someone else, you will get close to where you will need to be, but not perfection.... Every engine, even if it has the same exact mods on it will run a little different. Two identical bikes, on the same dyno will ask for a little bit different of a fuel curve. That is why it is best to have your bike custom tuned.

Hopes this helps!
Ok..i guess im going with the pcIII.Thanks alot for clearing it up for me....RIDE SAFE......RIDE HARD!!!!!!!

· Registered
4 Posts
hey i'm new to this site, and also to efi. I just bought my kawi about 4 weeks ago and when talking to the dealer about buying a pipe and intake eventually along with a programmer. The dealer told me that he went to classes to learn how to service kawi bikes and atv's. The dealer told me that the teachers said there is no need to buy a programmer for any of their efi machines because it will tune it self. I want to know is this true and if so how does it tune itself without having an o2 sensor in the exhaust.

· Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (tibrider @ Jun 21 2009, 08:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17334
hey i'm new to this site, and also to efi. I just bought my kawi about 4 weeks ago and when talking to the dealer about buying a pipe and intake eventually along with a programmer. The dealer told me that he went to classes to learn how to service kawi bikes and atv's. The dealer told me that the teachers said there is no need to buy a programmer for any of their efi machines because it will tune it self. I want to know is this true and if so how does it tune itself without having an o2 sensor in the exhaust.
Simple... It don't.

It can adjust itself for altitude and temperature, the end.

However, depending on how rich the stock fuel map actually is, it might be possible to do some mods and not be 'forced' to add more fuel to keep it from leaning out. But I don't know if it is or not.

· Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (millertime450 @ Mar 25 2009, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16617
HI, i just bought a 08 kfx. I know the basics for the efi programmers but doint know what to get. Im looking at getting bi gun evo R full system, high vilocity intake and a efi programmer. Not sure which one. Can enyone give me some tips. And also about the dynoing i keep reading about........Not to clear on all that..any tips would be awsome thanks...ride hard...ride safe!!!!! :D

Go with a PCIII or PCV from Dynojet. They're the only ones you can truly custom map.

Dynoing or tuning should be done professionally since you don't have experience. They basically look at hp curves and ratios and tune your air/fuel ration at each rpm and throttle position in order to get the most out of the motor all the way through. It's not required as you can download a lot of fuel maps online, but it helps get the best performance.

· Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (Duster @ Jun 22 2009, 01:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17336
Simple... It don't.

It can adjust itself for altitude and temperature, the end.

However, depending on how rich the stock fuel map actually is, it might be possible to do some mods and not be 'forced' to add more fuel to keep it from leaning out. But I don't know if it is or not.
Thanks for the help, that decides that, I will get a programmer (probably PCIII) when I do a pipe and take the airbox lid off.

· Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (tibrider @ Jun 22 2009, 06:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17342
Thanks for the help, that decides that, I will get a programmer (probably PCIII) when I do a pipe and take the airbox lid off.
Just taking the airbox lid off...by itself...won't require a PCIII. The stock map is so rich that stock fuel setting won't hinder performance or compromise anything. Even doing a slip on pipe may not require a programmer...while it is recommended. When you really run into needed to tune is when you perform intake modifications. The stock intake tube is so restrictive that when you take the airbox lid off it doesn't really allow much more air to get through.

· Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (nkeen07 @ Jun 22 2009, 08:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17345
Just taking the airbox lid off...by itself...won't require a PCIII. The stock map is so rich that stock fuel setting won't hinder performance or compromise anything. Even doing a slip on pipe may not require a programmer...while it is recommended. When you really run into needed to tune is when you perform intake modifications. The stock intake tube is so restrictive that when you take the airbox lid off it doesn't really allow much more air to get through.
That's why I said it would depend on how rich the stock fuel map is...

I have had a good feeling that it might not need a programmer as bad as people think.
Much like old ones don't always need re-jetting for every little change... particularly exhaust.

Most exhausts on 4 strokes are not enough of a performance gain to lean out one that's a tad rich from the factory.
Most of them are more about sound than actual performance.

As for th intake changes... that usually causes a change to have to be made. However, I will have to agree with you that the KFX intake is VERY restrictive. It's gasping for air flow with the lid off and filter off. So it would surprise me if a lid removal or filter change would make enough difference to matter in performance, or need for a fuel controller.

Mine's staying stock... I just don't buy into all that.

If and when I make changes, it will be in a year after the warranty is over... and then I will consider an intake and fuel controller 1st.

· Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (Duster @ Jun 23 2009, 01:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17352
That's why I said it would depend on how rich the stock fuel map is...

I have had a good feeling that it might not need a programmer as bad as people think.
Much like old ones don't always need re-jetting for every little change... particularly exhaust.

Most exhausts on 4 strokes are not enough of a performance gain to lean out one that's a tad rich from the factory.
Most of them are more about sound than actual performance.

As for th intake changes... that usually causes a change to have to be made. However, I will have to agree with you that the KFX intake is VERY restrictive. It's gasping for air flow with the lid off and filter off. So it would surprise me if a lid removal or filter change would make enough difference to matter in performance, or need for a fuel controller.

Mine's staying stock... I just don't buy into all that.

If and when I make changes, it will be in a year after the warranty is over... and then I will consider an intake and fuel controller 1st.
yeah ill look in to the fci intake a lil later when i really need the extra power, considering right now im still getting used to the jump up from my 400, i just want an exhaust in the next couple months because i reallly dont like the quiet sound of the stock pipe, idk but if thats the case i might wait with the programmer until a little bit closer to when i buy the intake. Also the reason i plan on buying these parts before the warranty is up is because the dealer i bought it from is giving me 20% of all accesories for it even if its not kawi brand

· Registered
141 Posts
What has to be CONFIRMED somehow is how rich the stock map really is though.

That's something you'll want to be CERTAIN of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.