Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
There are two standard washers, one on each bolt (there are two in order to fully drain the oil), so long as you don't lose them you should not need to replace them.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have about 6 oil changes and the filter O ring is still in perfect shape, ill probably change it next time around...I tend to change the inexpensive items more than necessary

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (CarFanatic @ May 13 2008, 08:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8933
so just becareful putting it in?
Caerfully thread it in by hand first--if you encounter resistance, stop, twist it out, and start over. Don't over tighten it. I use a small ratchet so that I don't accidentally torque on it. I think I'm going to drill a hole through mine for a saftey wire...

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (CarFanatic @ May 13 2008, 02:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8951
wow are the threads that messed up??

what would a saftey wire do?
My threads are fine--but a saftery wire will prevent it from backing-out due to virbation, etc., and will allow me piece of mind when i don't torque on the drain plug...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How does the saftey wire work??

that little bolt I am scared off. I was so scared to over tighten that thing!! its so small, and aluminum is so soft.. phew.. I am scared about it backing out.

anyone know where I can get an in.lbs torque wrench small enough to work on that bolt?

I gotta get used to that oil window. I over filled it at first and had to drain some! I got it all done, but a bit nervous about the small bolt.

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (CarFanatic @ May 13 2008, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8960
How does the saftey wire work??

that little bolt I am scared off. I was so scared to over tighten that thing!! its so small, and aluminum is so soft.. phew.. I am scared about it backing out.

anyone know where I can get an in.lbs torque wrench small enough to work on that bolt?

I gotta get used to that oil window. I over filled it at first and had to drain some! I got it all done, but a bit nervous about the small bolt.
On the low torque bolts ive used a magic marker as a general "guide," draw one line on the bolt to the engine, when you put it back together as soon as the lines almost match up youre know close and take it easy from there (should be one line). Its not perfect but helps avoid stripping

1 - 17 of 17 Posts