Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
powdercoat would be the best stuff. then bake it on. but i guess you coudl use spray paint and get a couple layers of clear coat on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm looking for a cheaper alternative than powder coating.. i'm going to tape up the outer edges since their going to get scratched up any ways.. just wanted to know what's the best spray paint to use.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cheaper then powder coating? Not sure where your at but have you shopped around or looked for any big powder coating shops? You might be amazed at the prices. I know some folks that have paid $45 to have all 4 wheels powdercoated and you will get much better mileage out of a good powdercoat job then you will ever get out of a good paint job.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (FiremanEMS06 @ Jun 22 2008, 06:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9918
has anyone painted their wheels yet? i want to pain them black.. if you have, what kind of paint did you use?
I powdercoated mine. If you choose to use liquid paint you need to prep the metal very good. Either sandblast or use 320 grit sandpaper. After its sanded you need to use a wax and grease remover such as prepsol and use two clean paper towels. Wet one towel with prepsol and leave one dry. Wipe the rim with the wet one then dry it off quick with the other one. Now your ready for paint. You will need a metal etch primer. Do not confuse it with grey primer sealer or primer filler. Only green etch primer will bite into raw metal. After spraying the etch primer wait 10 mintues then spray your color right over it. If you have access to automotive spray equipment then you can get the paint in quarts from NAPA auto parts. If your going to go the rattle can spray paint route then you can get duplicolor spray paint just about anywhere. Just remember that its 90% preperation and 10% actual painting to do the job right. I was a car painter for almost 10 years and this is the correct way to do it. Have fun and let me know how it comes out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lol i litterally just Painted my front Rims black yesterday, first i sanded the rims (as much as it pained me to ruin the shiny silver lol) then i cleaned them really good with alchohal then I used normal flat black spray paint, about 4 solid coats. then after those dryed for about an hour i put 2 layers of Protective Glossy Spray on them and let them dry for the rest of the day, they look great i did a scratch test on one and it held up pretty good

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (VashUG @ Jun 23 2008, 02:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9942
Lol i litterally just Painted my front Rims black yesterday, first i sanded the rims (as much as it pained me to ruin the shiny silver lol) then i cleaned them really good with alchohal then I used normal flat black spray paint, about 4 solid coats. then after those dryed for about an hour i put 2 layers of Protective Glossy Spray on them and let them dry for the rest of the day, they look great i did a scratch test on one and it held up pretty good
Do you have a pic you can post up? Would like to see how it came out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea i can get a pic up in a little bit

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here they are

Sorry bout the Quality lol crappy phone

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the cheapest price i found for powder coating is $200.. i'm just going to use an automotive spray gun.. i'll post pics as soon as i'm done

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (VashUG @ Jun 23 2008, 08:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9957
Thanks
, i did mess up a little bit but i just got a magic marker and got it
ssshhh
I bought the black "special edition" KFX, so no need to paint my wheels, but a buddy I work with painted the wheels on his 660 Raptor. (We Laser cut a nice fake-o beadlock flange and welded it into the rim for strength first, looks pretty slick) We sanded and cleaned the rim with isopropyl alcohol, and then sprayed them with industrial high solids flat black paint. The paint won't hold up like powdercoat, of course, but we didn't pay for the paint, so we'll just re-spray them when they get chipped.

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE (Eldridge Performance ATV @ Jun 23 2008, 02:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9939
I powdercoated mine. If you choose to use liquid paint you need to prep the metal very good. Either sandblast or use 320 grit sandpaper. After its sanded you need to use a wax and grease remover such as prepsol and use two clean paper towels. Wet one towel with prepsol and leave one dry. Wipe the rim with the wet one then dry it off quick with the other one. Now your ready for paint. You will need a metal etch primer. Do not confuse it with grey primer sealer or primer filler. Only green etch primer will bite into raw metal. After spraying the etch primer wait 10 mintues then spray your color right over it. If you have access to automotive spray equipment then you can get the paint in quarts from NAPA auto parts. If your going to go the rattle can spray paint route then you can get duplicolor spray paint just about anywhere. Just remember that its 90% preperation and 10% actual painting to do the job right. I was a car painter for almost 10 years and this is the correct way to do it. Have fun and let me know how it comes out.
Tks eldridge ! I done it like u said except I used 180 grit . My rims were old n pretty scuffed up . It worked great so far . I've got one hard day at the track slamming them into bike ruts even broke the bead loose once . They look just like they did when I loaded the quad up !

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (walshyfz86 @ Feb 6 2009, 07:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15985
i painted my front rims last season and after a year on them they looked like this. thats no prep work or anything. just a ghetto spray job. it holds up fine for fronts. I wouldn't touch your backs with spraybombs

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images0...9b5960db746.jpg

thats a bad ass quad walshy the front rims look really good and i also like the rear bead locks painted green looks sweet, graphics look sick is hell to... i have the black 450 so no need to paint my rims they still look ok. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
The backs are holding up pretty good walshy ! The dude was telling the truth . It does take work to keep them looking good . Anytime u slam a al rim against a rock u will have to touch it up . But all n all it works pretty good . The beadlocks are by far the way to go . Painting is just a cheap opition till u get beadlocks !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts