Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Awesome forum. I just bought a 450 (have owned a stock 400 for 2 years) So as the story goes I was pretty happy w/ the power but wanted some more lower end (by the way I'm 250) So I installed a Dobeck programmer, a pro design intake kit and a slip on two brothers M-7. Well needless to say I was not so stoked when I go to the dunes for the 1st time w/ the mods and was getting beat pretty good by other stock bikes (2 different stock honda 450's and a Suzuki) The first thing I noticed when doing the adjustments is that at the full throttle it seems to get there quick and sputters. I ASSume this just might be the rev limiter? Didn't really notice that prior to mods (didn't really F.throttle my bike like that either) Wanting to make sure it was not just the way I was making the adjustments I reconnected the stock wiring. No real noticeable difference. I did swap bikes w/ my buddy honda 450 and he raced mine and at take off I cleared 2-3 feet of air in the front where mine stays down so I know weight is not the whole issue and I can beat him. I'm looking at the intake and wondering if that may be my issue? I have no leaks at the boot but wonder, it has a sock that goes over it (pre- filter) and the directions call for the stock air lid to go back on? Is that right. I seen some of the mods w/ the LTZ intake boot and wonder if that and the air lid off may make a difference. I also have been thinking about a sproket change but still think the motor should be pushing a bit more. Thanks for your time and any advise in advance. Oh and one other thing, I ride 1/2 mud and trails and the other 1/2 in the sand.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You are correct, the stock intake is a problem...it's extremely restrictive and unless you change it any bolt on mods will yield minimal power increases here. I went with the fuel atv intake, I know many others have done the same, it completely replaces the stock intake and comes with a massive air filter. I don't know much about the pro design but it looks as though it does not solve the problem (intake tube), also if you add a full exhaust you will notice a tremendous difference, ive got a dasa, fuel atv intake and power commander iii (aka big 3) and the front wheel does not like to be on the ground anymore..

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (TexasKFX @ Apr 28 2008, 08:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8461
was wondering also if i cut the screen out from stock set up will that help much
The problem is the intake tube, it won't let much more additional air flow through it regardless if you add a high flow k&n or cut the screen, if you cut the screen i suppose it will help a little but i doubt you'd see any noticable difference

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the LTZ intake boot the best way of going about it? I was looking at the 2 camber box that is stock and it appears it would be restrictive. Is it necessary to add exhaust pipe internal of the intake boot? What about the top of the box. What are most people running, lid no lid? I see they also make a filtered lid.

Seperate question. I was being told that w/ some of the newer bikes/sleds the ECM has a break in period. Is there suck a thing on these. I was told this by someone how mostly runs snowmobiles?

Thanks again for the info guys!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The LTR boot? which i am guessing you are talking about will work there have been many guys whom have used it. If you want the most power gain i would deffinately get a full exhaust. I use FuelATV's airbox intake which has NO lid. I have a couple friends who have the filtered lid and they seem to like it.

I am not sure about the ECM having to be broke in would assume it would be fin as long as you broke your bike in. And the snowmobiles may have to, i dont know..

·
Registered
297 Posts
QUOTE (450CRACKA @ Apr 28 2008, 11:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8465
Is the LTZ intake boot the best way of going about it? I was looking at the 2 camber box that is stock and it appears it would be restrictive. Is it necessary to add exhaust pipe internal of the intake boot? What about the top of the box. What are most people running, lid no lid? I see they also make a filtered lid.

Seperate question. I was being told that w/ some of the newer bikes/sleds the ECM has a break in period. Is there suck a thing on these. I was told this by someone how mostly runs snowmobiles?

Thanks again for the info guys!!
For the price and gain you will notice, the LTR tube is the most cost effective way to go.

theduv has a great write up with pictures on his setup. Do a search and check it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advise. I ordered up a intake boot and think I might got with a high flow top for it. The mention of full exhaust, is it worth the extra couple hundered dollars for the head pipe. The stock one appears to be pretty good. I like the flow and sound of the two brother pipe I have on there and am unsure if the head pipe added to it will make a difference.

So what is everyone running for sprockets? My local dealer advised to just go one tooth down in the rear? Is that enough?

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you were running the proflow kit WITH the lid on, you mise well keep it all stock. You got to get the air to the filter first and then keep it going to the engine. theduv(member) got a great setup for a DIY'er kit. But if you ride alot of wet areas 50% of the time, you may consider the Fuel ATV intake with box. Also FCI has a kit with a box coming out soon.

Larry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I was running it with the lid on. That is what the direction said to do. I was looking at the top of the box and it doesn't appear it would let much air in. During the winters in Washington it is pretty wet and we hit a lot of trails with standing water and i don't want to go completly open. Do you think the high flow tops will allow enough air flow to the filter? As i mentioned above I ordered a LTZ intake boot from the box to the T. body.

Thanks for the link ORH. Good read!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I grew up in Washington, so I know about the rain.

I believe EHS has the high flow lids for the kfx. There are alot of people that are running open lid boxes that ride in that type of weather. And havn't had a problem. The seat does a good job of covering it. In your last two post, you keep putting LTZ boot. Its suppose to be the LTR boot. Just want to let you know. And if you look at theduv post HERE post number one and last picture. It show his LTR boot connected to a different boot where the sensor plugs into. If you notice, the LTR boot opening is at a angle compared to the box itself. And is not long enough to reach the box too. You'll have to copy his or come up with something like it. Good luck. If you have any question, PM theduv.

Larry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Larry, you are correct it is LTR boot. Hum I guess my 450 Cracka names fits (-: That appears to be the stock stort boot that attaches to the air box. I ASSume that is where the piece if pipe comes into play. Hum lid off? I couldn't see it getting that much mud/water in the area.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You would have to be going deep to get stuff in there. Plus another thing, I dont see that fuel controller doing much. You may have been running rich. Just do some test. take lid off, load right fuel map and take it for a spin. You will see some cains. But once you open up the throat, hoad on. I'm running a 14/37 combo on geaing. Gears seem taller, not quite needing sixth gear anymore. Great for duning. I'll be switching to a 15/37 once the engine gets rebuilt.

Larry

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Atving4Christ @ Apr 30 2008, 06:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8511
You would have to be going deep to get stuff in there. Plus another thing, I dont see that fuel controller doing much. You may have been running rich. Just do some test. take lid off, load right fuel map and take it for a spin. You will see some cains. But once you open up the throat, hoad on. I'm running a 14/37 combo on geaing. Gears seem taller, not quite needing sixth gear anymore. Great for duning. I'll be switching to a 15/37 once the engine gets rebuilt.

Larry
What are you having done to the engine? hopefully it's because you "want to" as opposed to "have to"..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys rock. So I got home tonight and checked my exhaust. I am running to rich. My exhaust tip is black and my GF was telling me I was blowing smoke. I'm not sold on my controler but need to do my mods to the air intake. I work automotive and have for 16 years (office bi%choch) But I know a thig or 2. I really hope w/ air box mods my quad will be performing better then it did. I can't have stock honda's smoking me!!!!! So when we changed bikes and it wheelied of the line in his he told me he starts in 2nd gear. I'm researching the gears on the honda but if you can help me can short order I'm all game! Thanks again guys. You help green machine look good!!!!!!!!

Go Kawki

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (450CRACKA @ Apr 30 2008, 08:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8524
You guys rock. So I got home tonight and checked my exhaust. I am running to rich. My exhaust tip is black and my GF was telling me I was blowing smoke. I'm not sold on my controler but need to do my mods to the air intake. I work automotive and have for 16 years (office bi%choch) But I know a thig or 2. I really hope w/ air box mods my quad will be performing better then it did. I can't have stock honda's smoking me!!!!! So when we changed bikes and it wheelied of the line in his he told me he starts in 2nd gear. I'm researching the gears on the honda but if you can help me can short order I'm all game! Thanks again guys. You help green machine look good!!!!!!!!

Go Kawki
Glad you find it helpful! YOu will be real happy once you make the changes..After I made mine I went to the dunes and while racing other 450's with comp mods, the only reason I lost any of those races was because i suck at those massive bumps (plus the stock suspension isnt perfect). I'm changing the cams in a few weeks and expect even better performance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thats what we ALL are here for, helping other members out. I also suck at the whoops first starting out. You may want to consider getting the DynoJet Power Commander 3. I believe i've seen them running as low as 259 plus shipping. You can put custom fuel maps on them or download from different sites.

I have the big three, I can do 2nd gear starts with 21x12x8 9 paddle extremes. BUt it does bog pretty good. Gets some 6 or 7 paddle and should be no problem.

Larry

·
Registered
220 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Apr 30 2008, 06:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8512
What are you having done to the engine? hopefully it's because you "want to" as opposed to "have to"..
Its more of a " Want To" But its going to be a "Wait to" Got no money. LOL

I got to do everthing in stages.
First Stage has been done. Pipe,filter,pc3
Second stage: Bored TB, port/polish, Cams (not decided on which ones) Max Power 469 kit

Third Stage: Maxpower Stroker Kit, Total rebuild on head(hopefully there will be proven upgrades for the valves). And not sure if you can shave the flywheel

Of course there may be things missing.

Larry

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Atving4Christ @ May 1 2008, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8561
Its more of a " Want To" But its going to be a "Wait to" Got no money. LOL

I got to do everthing in stages.
First Stage has been done. Pipe,filter,pc3
Second stage: Bored TB, port/polish, Cams (not decided on which ones) Max Power 469 kit

Third Stage: Maxpower Stroker Kit, Total rebuild on head(hopefully there will be proven upgrades for the valves). And not sure if you can shave the flywheel

Of course there may be things missing.
Larry
Glad to hear that! For sure you'll be ripping with all that work, we just need to find a way to get it out to Glamis next dune season!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.