Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the little wire tap they sent with the kit to hook this up, has anyone had issues with it? I've read people say to sodder it, but I could get the damn plug off to give me enough room to work on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The clip itself taps into the wire no problem, and shouldn't ever really come off. Where you'll run into problems will be the wire from the PC unplugging itself. I had to tape the shit out of mine to keep it from coming out. (Haulin' ass down a trail, and all of a sudden it started sputtering and hesitating; and then quit when I slowed down enough. Luckily, the day before I went out I read up on this problem, and figured that's what it must have been. Limped it back to camp, and connected it better. Hehe make sure you plug the TPS back into the bike really well too, it doesn't like to run well without it)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wire taps are cheap easy ways to temporally connect wires. If its for something that always stays still there a great invention. For that that moves. It WILL cut trough. Save your self a headache and do it right the first time. Youl regret the tap.

Nothings better then hard wiring. especially on a quad.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just did mine today, I was getting nervous about the dune trip coming up this week so I went ahead and soldered the wires....I also bought some liquid electrical tape.had never heard of it but you keep layering it on every 10 minutes or so and it completely seals the connection.. I'll try it out in the morning once it's finished drying but it was fairly easy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweet, where did you get the liguid tape at?

I will have to sit down and soder this soon. if I can get the dang clip off!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Basically when i pulled the clip off I could see the wire was practically cut...I spliced there, soldered the pciii power wire in..and put about 10 coats of that liquid tape, got it at walmart, the package says its good for all electrical. Was an ugly solder job (my first in 10 years) but the liquid tape totally concealed it.

To get that clip off reach from behind the bike and grab it (coming from the shock area), use a screwdriver to push down (from the engine mount area) and wiggle it off...gotta use two hands

1 - 11 of 11 Posts