Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be setting my sag. Both the weight of the machine sag, and rider sag. The question I have is, what should I have the compression and rebound set at? I'm guessing mid-way through the click range.

Also, on the KFX, I'm thinking I can just pull out the stock airbox to get to the washers on the rear shock. Am I right?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand it's an independent thing, but when you sit on the quad with stiffest compression, it doesnt squat as much as if you sit on it with softest compression.

Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I tried adjusting my rear rider sag according to Quad's how-to here.

I was looking to get 30% of sag in the rear. (10" travel, 3" of desired sag). Untouched from the factory, I had 6" I turned and turned the nut, but couldn't get down to 3". Right now I have 4 1/2", so I need to get another 1 1/2" out of it. Problem is, I'm running out of threads on the shock.

I weigh 200 pounds, which isn't exactly a lightweight, but I thought I would be able to get it adjusted to my weight.

Am I doing something wrong here, or am I too fat for the KFX?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I'm measuring is from the second to the left bolt on the swingarm, to the bottom bolt of the brake light assembly.

Picking up on the bar so there's no weight was 20 5/8"
Weight of just the machine was 18 1/4"
Rider sag was 14 5/8"
I got the rider sag to 16 1/8", and that's where I'm at now.

Will it be any different if I run my tape measure from the ground to the grab bar then the way I'm doing it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
ok I think you are taking the sag numbers to literally. you need to be aware of the percentages.

20.5 is your full unweighted length

14.5 is your ride sag measurement. You take 20.5 - 14.5 and get 6

Now divide 6 by 20.5 and you get 29.26%. Your goal is 30%, so you are spot on!

Now free sag is 20.5 - 18.25 = 2.25

Divide 2.25 by 20.5 and get 10.9%. Your goal is 10%, so your close there.

Sounds like it was set up correct for you in the rear.

Just do the same for the front. IT does not matter where you measure as long as they are all consistent.

PDR

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (PDR @ Aug 24 2007, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=3023
ok I think you are taking the sag numbers to literally. you need to be aware of the percentages.

20.5 is your full unweighted length

14.5 is your ride sag measurement. You take 20.5 - 14.5 and get 6

Now divide 6 by 20.5 and you get 29.26%. Your goal is 30%, so you are spot on!

Now free sag is 20.5 - 18.25 = 2.25

Divide 2.25 by 20.5 and get 10.9%. Your goal is 10%, so your close there.

Sounds like it was set up correct for you in the rear.

Just do the same for the front. IT does not matter where you measure as long as they are all consistent.

PDR
This doesn't make any sense to me. Sag goes off of your total suspension travel, correct? he doesn't have 20" of travel in the rear, he has around 10". so if it is sagging 6" he is still using up 60% of his available travel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
QUOTE (Lesrace82 @ Aug 26 2007, 06:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=3041
This doesn't make any sense to me. Sag goes off of your total suspension travel, correct? he doesn't have 20" of travel in the rear, he has around 10". so if it is sagging 6" he is still using up 60% of his available travel.

It all depends on where you measure from. The literal 10 would be from measurements taken as close to the shock as possible. He was measuring something else (grab bar to carrier) That measurement is arbitrary. It comes down to ratios. He has 6" measured at that point. If he measured from Grab bar to ground, it would be different numbers, but still the same ratios.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
The inches of travel though, is actual wheel travel. it doesnt matter where the measurements are taken from it would still be 10 inches of travel. he might be measuring 20.5 but that number will never go below 10.5 because the shock would run out of travel. So to me the the difference between the 20.5 unloaded measurment, and the 14.5 loaded measurment is still 6 inches, and that would be 60% of shock travel correct?

·
Registered
184 Posts
NO. the leverage ratios are different at different points of the bike.

Look at the a-arms for example. In a perfect world, the ratio would be 2 inchs of A-arm movement at the spindle for every inch of shock travel! Its all about the ratios and leverage points.

PDR

·
Registered
5 Posts
But if you have ten inches of wheel travel, and you are measuring from the axle itself or the swing arm housing right above it to the frame there is no ratio or leverage problems. The shock doesnt have 10 inches of travel like you are implying in your earlier post. Shock travel at most is what something like 6 inches?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry, i was not reffering to a real number when i posted that number it was purely hypathetical.

I think we are going in circles. It really doesnt matter where the quad sits, it still gets its full travel once in motion. The suspension is designed to sit at certain height, thus rider or free sag. This is supposed to be lower to afford a better center of gravity. Once the quad launches off a jump or whoop, the suspension then drops to a fully extended length and therefore gives you your full length of travel.

The ratios and percentages are calculations to help you set up your quad. the 30% rider sag comes from years of R&D and from actual racing. Its a proven set-up. i have done it to all my quads that I set-up, it improves the feel and handling of the quad tremendously.

PDR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts