Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am new to the form. I have a KFX 450 and I am looking into racing XC. I need some help with my suspension. I have heard a lot about ride hieghts. I am not sure how to measure this and what points to get my mesurement. I think I need to start here so I can start adjusting my shocks. I would like some help from all of you on where to start. I am having issues with my quad, it seems to be real harsh on the suspension. It shoots me around off of bumps. My buddy has a KFX 400. It seems to have a softer setup and he just kills me in the rough stuff. I need some help with this mabe some ideas on what to do with my shock adjustments.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd be curious to know how people have set up their suspension.. I've been tinkering with mine and trying to find the right config for me but still get too much bounce in the big bumps. Once it cools down here i'm gonna try again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, i have heard alot about sag. I measured mine and it is 2 3/8" free sag in the rear and 2 1/2" front free sag. I have 5 1/2" rider sag in the rear and 4 1/8" in the front. From what i understand I need to put more preload into both the front and the rear. My problem is I think i am to stiff already. I also measured my frame hieghts with rider on the quad. 6 5/16" in the front and 6 3/4" in the rear. From what I understand I should measure the front at 22" forward of the pegs. If I do that the frame goes up at that point. I am not sure if this will give me a good measurment. I measured before the transition up on the fram. Maybe 21" forward from the pegs. Let me know what you guys think i need to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (jimmyjames1700 @ Aug 14 2008, 05:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11103
I'll check later for you. I do know that with 3 turns out from stock preload in the front, I have 2 and 5/8" from the center of the upper shock mount bolt to the bottom of the lowest shock preload adjustment collar.

In the rear, with 3.5 turns out from stock preload that measurement is 2 and 7/8".
did you ever count the threads? im having a hard time with this. i measured and i think i am close. but the angle of the tape measure makes a big difference. i may just forget the whole thing and go aftermarket. it really seems to ride like crap for me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
QUOTE (BullCatcher @ Sep 2 2008, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11492
did you ever count the threads? im having a hard time with this. i measured and i think i am close. but the angle of the tape measure makes a big difference. i may just forget the whole thing and go aftermarket. it really seems to ride like crap for me.
if your able to spend the cake go with an aftermarket shock ebay rite now has some great deals on new elkas built to your weight and riding style!i recently had a set on my 400 ex and the differance was unbelievable and adjusting them was easy on or off the trail or track!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.