Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now very seriously looking at upgrading my suspension. I'm catching enough air, and wanting to go through the whoops fast enough that I think I am finally taxing the stock stuff. I really want to hear from those that have done it to share their experiences, etc. I dune mostly, but I also hit the desert around California City, and off the 15 (Barstow, etc.).

For example, I know I "want" long travel, but do I really need it? Do I want to stick with Roll/Laegers, or are the other, lesser-knowns good options? What's the best bang for the buck?

Initially, I knew I wanted Roll Design LT arms with Elka Elite LT's. Now, I'm not so sure--maybe Roll with Ohlins? Houser? Laeger? WP shocks? Axis?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I race desert at the pro level. You need Roll design long travel a-arms and the best elka shocks you can afford. This is the best setup! Don't forget set-up is key. I have two KFX 450 they are both setup exactly the same and the ride is better than any other quad Ive been on. Swing arms are also a good idea depending on what type of riding you do.

·
Registered
420 Posts
as far as shocks elkas is what id recommend they are the best!

·
Registered
50 Posts
QUOTE (ononewheel @ Dec 8 2008, 06:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15200
as far as shocks elkas is what id recommend they are the best!
The only Elkas I know of that might be good are the factory series. I am about to buy a KFX, but I have 2 YFZs and I have Elka Elite LTs on one and they're not that great. Everyone on YFZ Central bashes Elkas. I'd much rather have Fox's or something besides Elkas. Unless you spend the money and get the Factory Series. OR after you recieve the shocks from Elka have them revalved by someone else, because they are mass produced and are not set you specifically for you. So either get the factory ones, get elites and have the valved for you, or get something different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just placed Hydo Dynamics full long travel kit on my Honda. I am very impressed.In my opinion the arms and shocks are just as good or better than a Roll and Elka setup for $800 less.They make the kit for KfX and I will be getting it soon. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
hydo dynamics are a joke. thats why they are bankrupt.

Elkas. well. they make good product. they just dont care about valving them. The factory elkas the pros run are supposed to be great shocks. But thats it. and to even come close to getting those is buying a pro quad or spending a few grand.

personally fox/axis or pep are the top shocks out there. Ive owned fox axis and tcs. btw tcs i hated and where junk. the axis where great. and the fox where just smoother and easier to tune.

As for a-arms. I would stay away from lower grade a-arms such as SMC, JD, and so on. There are better a-arms for around the same price. Laeger makes a decent set for good price. Even atv fourplays are pretty cheap and jason connel is selling 2 used sets for pretty cheap. Housers, not a hugeeee fan of at all but never hear to many bad things about them, Roll and walsh and jb are great a-arms also but i dont think you need to go all out on stuff. Just need something that will last.

Damn this is a old topic. i just saw that. owell

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (walshyfz86 @ Jan 16 2009, 11:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15650
hydo dynamics are a joke. thats why they are bankrupt.

Elkas. well. they make good product. they just dont care about valving them. The factory elkas the pros run are supposed to be great shocks. But thats it. and to even come close to getting those is buying a pro quad or spending a few grand.

personally fox/axis or pep are the top shocks out there. Ive owned fox axis and tcs. btw tcs i hated and where junk. the axis where great. and the fox where just smoother and easier to tune.

As for a-arms. I would stay away from lower grade a-arms such as SMC, JD, and so on. There are better a-arms for around the same price. Laeger makes a decent set for good price. Even atv fourplays are pretty cheap and jason connel is selling 2 used sets for pretty cheap. Housers, not a hugeeee fan of at all but never hear to many bad things about them, Roll and walsh and jb are great a-arms also but i dont think you need to go all out on stuff. Just need something that will last.

Damn this is a old topic. i just saw that. owell

I don't agree with everything walshyfz86 said, atv fourplay arms are crap, they hit you with the price and then sting you with bushing and stuff, they were junk in the 90's and they still suck, roll makes nice arms, but they have the factory price tag on them, way over priced. houser and JD make nice arms, good quality and decent price, man the owner of of JD used to make frames back in the day, he knows how to fab. fox and pep do make nice shocks, I run fox on my tecate 4. what a lot of people don't know is fox shock company actually supply a lot of manufactures with there internal components....

·
Registered
13 Posts
well i guess he dosnt know everything becouse Hydro Dynamics is not bankrupt and are doing business .Anyone can call them up and see for themselves. I have the kit with the aluminum uppers long travel kit . a definite improvement over the first set up they came out with. Fuel is selling them i believe. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
JD Performance a-arms are not lower grade. Dave makes awesome products and his customer service is top-notch!
I would look into JD and Motowoz shocks- overall great package- you wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
HOUSER and FOX....The best!

·
Registered
30 Posts
i personally think (if money is not an issue) Walsh arms with elka elites. The big difference between elka and fox, well fox first off does not come set up for you and your exact riding style. Elka suspension comes from the factory completely dialed in for you. If you go with the fox suspension you most likely with never no if they are tuned properly, also since they are air shocks and not coils, if you go a month or two without riding, they will need to be readjusted. Elka also has some of the best customer service out there. as for aarms walsh,roll,4play, everyone is good (even the lonestar ds4 is a nice setup)

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (kfxfourfifty @ Mar 10 2009, 10:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16440
i personally think (if money is not an issue) Walsh arms with elka elites. The big difference between elka and fox, well fox first off does not come set up for you and your exact riding style. Elka suspension comes from the factory completely dialed in for you. If you go with the fox suspension you most likely with never no if they are tuned properly, also since they are air shocks and not coils, if you go a month or two without riding, they will need to be readjusted. Elka also has some of the best customer service out there. as for aarms walsh,roll,4play, everyone is good (even the lonestar ds4 is a nice setup)
You have no idea what your talking about when it comes to shocks. Fox will send you your shocks set up for your weight and type of riding you do....the difference is your not stuck to it. The reason elka has to do this is with a spring shock they have to put the right spring for your weight and valve the shock to your riding style. With fox shocks they have more adjustabilty from weight to riding style, and it only takes 2 min to put some air in to your liking. I have owned elkas and they are usually not valved perfect when you get them. I don't mind elkas i would ride on them properly set up, but if given a choice....there is no comparison for ride quality, adjustability and ease of use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i guess, but not all of us are sponsored and have trained people to help properly tuned the suspension. I am only repeating what i have heard, i didnt mean to offend you. for me elka is a great shock that needs little work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
as for arms I went with lonestar dc-4s and elka racer edition shocks made a huge difference also went with elka rear shock as well tons more travel at both ends I ordered mine through goldenwest cycle they have the best prices and their customer service is awesome!!! you wont be dicepointed they also have tons of different options availible as well. good luck

·
Registered
420 Posts
maybe the best thing for you to do is if you have any friends or no some1 w/ a quad w/elkas and fox or any other brand for that matter test there quad out so you can feel the differance between them all!i personally like elkas they work for me just fine ive never tried fox yet olny some stock fox shocks on my buddys preditor which those suck!then youll have some idea before you buy!and when it comes down to it its what ever you like doesnt matter what any1 says some1 will always have somthin negitive to say about it anyway!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts