Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder why they only put the reinforcment rings on one side of the rear wheels only?
I don't think it would save that much weight.
They should have put them on inner on outter side of both front and rear wheels.
What do you all think?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The outer edges have a double-rolled lip - quite strong. Flat-spotting happens (usually) on the inner lip. Common racing sense, if you've seen it before.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Normal is on top of things as usual! I wish i knew everything that you've FORGOT!!!!! lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i figured the same thing just wanted to hear for the pros just trying to find something to post untill we could see it in person

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (PeeWee @ Oct 20 2006, 03:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=119
Normal is on top of things as usual! I wish i knew everything that you've FORGOT!!!!! lol
Nah, PeeWee, I'm just a sponge for useless info - it clogs up my brain, and I can't think as fast now...

From past experience, the strongest (non-beadlock) wheels I've ever seen were a set of stock Z wheels with OMF reinforcement rings welded in. Badass wheels!

OMF makes the weld-in rings, so for this bike, you could get a set and weld to the outer sides of the wheels - those would be some seriously strong wheels. Double rolled lips AND reinforcement rings... Killer.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but those OMF rings were $25 per wheel (inner and outer reinforcement rings). For the KFX450, one set would do both outers...

·
Registered
37 Posts
We actually called OMF because I was going to order a set of reinforcment rings to weld on my wheels. He said that even though he may be losing a sale that the stock wheel is one of the strongest wheels aside from beadlocks. And that is what the guy from OMF told me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (cchrider @ Mar 11 2007, 07:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=547
We actually called OMF because I was going to order a set of reinforcment rings to weld on my wheels. He said that even though he may be losing a sale that the stock wheel is one of the strongest wheels aside from beadlocks. And that is what the guy from OMF told me.
Yep - the stockers have a thick-walled material, and they're double-rolled lips on them (inner and outer lips). They're quite the equivalent of a Douglas Yellow Label wheel (strongest non-beadlock you can buy). Stockers with reinforcement rings would be strong as hell - only thing better about beadlocks after that is that beadlocks will keep the tire from slipping/spinning on the wheel.

The OMF guy didn't lie to you, obviously - or he could have just made money from you. Stockers are strong. Just talk him into selling the damn reinforcement rings, to you can make the outer lip on the back even stronger...

·
Registered
178 Posts
QUOTE (NormalZ @ Apr 27 2007, 07:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1542
Yep - the stockers have a thick-walled material, and they're double-rolled lips on them (inner and outer lips). They're quite the equivalent of a Douglas Yellow Label wheel (strongest non-beadlock you can buy). Stockers with reinforcement rings would be strong as hell - only thing better about beadlocks after that is that beadlocks will keep the tire from slipping/spinning on the wheel.

The OMF guy didn't lie to you, obviously - or he could have just made money from you. Stockers are strong. Just talk him into selling the damn reinforcement rings, to you can make the outer lip on the back even stronger...
Nice post.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Stockers are strong? I bent one w/in 30 minutes of riding one for the first time by doing nothing but riding on an MX track. Several others at the same ride also bent them, mostly on an MX track which had virtually no rocks.

They may look good, but they are NOT strong. When I had a KFX400 I rode a did a LOT of woods riding and those things never bent up even banging rock after rock. Much better stock rims than the 450.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The KFX 450 wheels are still the same D.I.D. double-rolled lip wheels that are stock on everything else, right? These even have inner reinforcing rings? Or are these not D.I.D.s?...

Swap them for LTR/LTZ/TRX stockers, with reinforcing rings, if that's not the case...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Who the heck is trying to defend the stock wheels. We all know they are junk and need to be replaced. So do the crappy tires, axle, shocks, a-arms, computer, exhaust, swinger, seat, stem, bars, levers, etc, etc.
Building a race quad costs $$$$$$.
Nothing comes from the dealer "race ready" stop believing the magazines.

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (Mike99KFX @ May 12 2007, 07:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832
Who the heck is trying to defend the stock wheels. We all know they are junk and need to be replaced. So do the crappy tires, axle, shocks, a-arms, computer, exhaust, swinger, seat, stem, bars, levers, etc, etc.
Was that all directed at me? And are the wheels D.I.D.s (like the stockers on the other quads) or not?

·
Registered
165 Posts
QUOTE (Mike99KFX @ May 12 2007, 10:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832
So true... if your not breaking stock parts... then your not riding hard... and if your not breaking after market parts... then your not racing...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts