Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding in the sand dunes this weekend and after a long day of riding I went to put my quad in reverse and it engaged but the engine sputtered and would not push me back as it's supposed to (it would catch and release). It did this with the clutch pulled in when in reverse as well. It sounded like I was bouncing off of a rev limiter, however, I wasn't holding the throttle all the way. No matter how easy I was on the throttle it did the same thing. When I put the quad back in 1st gear everything was okay. The next morning when I put it in reverse it worked fine.

Is there some kind of reverse limiter or overheating cutoff for reverse that anyone knows about?

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (Black Kawi @ Aug 3 2008, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10701
I was riding in the sand dunes this weekend and after a long day of riding I went to put my quad in reverse and it engaged but the engine sputtered and would not push me back as it's supposed to (it would catch and release). It did this with the clutch pulled in when in reverse as well. It sounded like I was bouncing off of a rev limiter, however, I wasn't holding the throttle all the way. No matter how easy I was on the throttle it did the same thing. When I put the quad back in 1st gear everything was okay. The next morning when I put it in reverse it worked fine.

Is there some kind of reverse limiter or overheating cutoff for reverse that anyone knows about?

Walden? I have not had any issues with reverse....

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (Black Kawi @ Aug 4 2008, 07:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10764
It was Walden. It was a weird sputtering issue with reverse that went away in the morning. The only thing I can think was that my bike was very hot since I rode it hard. I don't know.

Heat could be the problem... Besides that, How did it do in the sand? I have not got the chacnce to get mine up there......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (JAYHAWKTRAILERS @ Aug 4 2008, 10:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10784
Heat could be the problem... Besides that, How did it do in the sand? I have not got the chacnce to get mine up there......

The quad did excellent in the sand, better than I thought. My map is off though (I have the Dasa 13", Fuel ATV intake and PCIII) but it handled and climbed like a billy goat. I have my suspension dialed in and I was hitting all of those whoops mostly in 4th. I was able to do every single climb even though I have 20" Sand Stars. I used to have a Predator that was nearly as fast as my KFX and it would not climb like this quad due to the extra weight. The nimbleness of the quad was apparent through all of the trails in between the trees and I was able to side hill very easily due to the light weight (and probably the Sand Stars). I am looking to get some 6 paddle comps (21") so I can hook up better. Overall I was well pleased.

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (Black Kawi @ Aug 4 2008, 12:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10786
The quad did excellent in the sand, better than I thought. My map is off though (I have the Dasa 13", Fuel ATV intake and PCIII) but it handled and climbed like a billy goat. I have my suspension dialed in and I was hitting all of those whoops mostly in 4th. I was able to do every single climb even though I have 20" Sand Stars. I used to have a Predator that was nearly as fast as my KFX and it would not climb like this quad due to the extra weight. The nimbleness of the quad was apparent through all of the trails in between the trees and I was able to side hill very easily due to the light weight (and probably the Sand Stars). I am looking to get some 6 paddle comps (21") so I can hook up better. Overall I was well pleased.

I am glad to hear that, We are going to LS Sand Mountain Sept. 3 through the 9th if you are interested.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (Black Kawi @ Aug 4 2008, 11:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10786
do you have those suspension settings written down? im currios as to what i should do with mine. my first QUAD and im going to the dunes this weekend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (BullCatcher @ Aug 4 2008, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10789
do you have those suspension settings written down? im currios as to what i should do with mine. my first QUAD and im going to the dunes this weekend.

http://quad.transworld.net/2006/03/13/gett...s/?show=gallery

This is a link on how to adjust shocks. Basically you adjust the preload (springs) to a specific percentage (known as sag). The compression and rebound (flat head screws on the top and bottom of your shocks) will control how fast your suspension goes up and down. When I first got mine it was like a pogo stick. After adjusting the preload according to the norm and playing with my compression and rebound it works great. You basically want the suspension to drop predictably and slowly come up. The idea is to use your entire suspension range. Most people only use 75% or less of the suspensions actual range of motion. You can really feel the quality of the suspension once it's dialed in for your body weight and riding type. I can hit the whoops in 4th wide open now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Black Kawi @ Aug 3 2008, 09:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10701

Doubt the problems still there, but for future use it has to do with the parking break. make sure the cable is not pulled out at all cause if it is pulled out even the slightest bit it will do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts