Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the rules for making a street legal quad are in different states. I live in Phoenix Arizona and was told all i need is a mirror, horn and license plate braket with a light.

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (azkfx @ Mar 16 2008, 01:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7344
I was just wondering what the rules for making a street legal quad are in different states. I live in Phoenix Arizona and was told all i need is a mirror, horn and license plate braket with a light.
That's correct..also live in Phx and that's all you need. I put one of those small hand held air horns on mine that you get from walmart, zip tied it to the handle bars and it worked fine ( plus no electrical work required), naturally you need to have insurance as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
thats nothing compared to here. If they see you touch any part of a road/ on state land/ riding without permission and you dont run its an instant impound and a series of fines. one for being on road, one for running etc.

but everyone has enough common sense here to run since we all know the trails. :smile:

·
Registered
637 Posts
When I was living back in NY riding on the street was not an option as was riding in the trails...in NY it's illegal to ride on any property unless you own it or have permission to ride there...if you get caught riding on state property they confiscate the bike and give tons of tickets.. (yes my brother got busted so I know!) but out here in AZ it's a totally different story

·
Registered
75 Posts
yea we have permission for everything we ride on. just we have to cross ONE road to egt there. and now one farmer is letting hunters on his land so my friend has to ride down 5 miles of abandoned road to get to there. actually alot of fun to ride that road. but kinda nerve racking.

just a week or two ago i had a run in with a fire marshal. me and a friend(who was on my old 01 300 ex lol) had to ride down 20 ft of road to my dads friends trails(with permission) and ofcourse there is a damn fire marshal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats too bad a lot of you can't ride on the street. with gas prices said to reach $4 in the summer i making mine street legal. if i had more money i would buy another kfx and turn it into something like this

·
Registered
75 Posts
yea thats lucky for you guys. but we CANT get it legalized here. just have to be minimum of like 52 inches wide. only roads no express ways high ways etc. my friend wanted to get his ltr legalized. but you also need a motorcycle license. plus he doesnt have the cash to get it wider nd everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (k4f5x0r @ Mar 19 2008, 03:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7440
yea thats lucky for you guys. but we CAN get it legalized here. just have to be minimum of like 52 inches wide. only roads no express ways high ways etc. my friend wanted to get his ltr legalized. but you also need a motorcycle license. plus he doesnt have the cash to get it wider nd everything.

What state do you live in? I hate NY, we can't even try to make them legal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
nah Cant get it legalized anywhere in NY. We ride on the roads anyway for fun though =D.

hell us riding on the roads is giving the officials here a reason to give us state land to ride on.. jtusto keep us OFF the roads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (k4f5x0r @ Mar 19 2008, 03:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7440
yea thats lucky for you guys. but we CAN get it legalized here. just have to be minimum of like 52 inches wide. only roads no express ways high ways etc. my friend wanted to get his ltr legalized. but you also need a motorcycle license. plus he doesnt have the cash to get it wider nd everything.

QUOTE (k4f5x0r @ Mar 21 2008, 11:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7509
nah Cant get it legalized anywhere in NY. We ride on the roads anyway for fun though =D.

hell us riding on the roads is giving the officials here a reason to give us state land to ride on.. jtusto keep us OFF the roads.

You said that where you live, you CAN get quads legalized. What state do you live in?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here in southern california they will give you a ticket and or take your quad away if you are caught on the street

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same in New York. Except here if you touch the road, OR are riding on ANY land without permission they automatically take the quad(impound) And depending on what you did they give you a series of tickets.

My friends was on road running from cops. She went down swinging(probably not smart) so she got impounded resisting arrest, riding on the roads, and assaulting a police officer. Her dads a cop though so she got out of everything lucky betch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts