Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sure that this has been cover before
Looking for what has worked for this group. My first trail ride went ok but the the women decides she want to take it for a spin to see the different between it and the 400 and well she brough it back with a broken swing arm plate. A few of the guys we ride w/ Suz/Honda- have the Armidilo's and seem to like them. I like the idea of the .250 thickness for protection but have read some brands hold theres on with hose clamps. Also will the .250 take to much away from the limited ground clearance the quad has?

Thanks again for the help guys.... and gals

·
Registered
637 Posts
I went with PRM for the swing arm..dont go with AC, its crappy and it does not cover the full swing..have pro arm for the chasis which covers the front of the fram as well...They should all have cut outs that would you enable to mount with ease and as for ground clearance, i cant imagine 1/8 of an inch will have a significant impact, its too small to notice

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again ORH- I looked around and ended up ordering the .190 from PRM. Looks to be a good unit and the sales guy was very helpful

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I installed it, nice fit!! I liked it so much I purchased a skid plate (found a hole in the stock one already) and also purchased a swing arm plate and grab bar for the kfx400. Nice company to deal with as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just put my prm on last night! Nice skid! Be careful tightening the bolts that go into the aluminum you can strip them real easy. Just snug them.

I should get my Swing arm plate from them tomarrow.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just got my prm swing arm skid.. Anyone have any issues with these pulling out? Thats alot of weight on there just bolted on with 4 bolts in an aluminum thread..

I would like a heavy duty composite one... anyone make one?

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ May 24 2008, 12:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9383
No issues here with mine.
any pics guys of the skids looking to get complete sets for both bikes whos got the best and why wouldnt you go for the heavier duty plate??

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got a (.250) thickness prm z-plate swingarm gaurd on its way!!! i had an x-factor one on my last quad and it bent pretty easily when i xc raced it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (wayne @ May 25 2008, 12:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9393
any pics guys of the skids looking to get complete sets for both bikes whos got the best and why wouldnt you go for the heavier duty plate??
Most important thing is...make sure you have one..that's by far most important obviously...heavy duty is best for the rocky stuff, bigger issue is the size of the plates..some cover entire swing arm and others do not (AC), same for front, not all cover the entire frame.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have prm set. Do not order the .250 its way to heavy and thick. I sent mine back for the .190 Only thing I dont like is cant get to the shock adjustment on the bottom of the shock because its coverd by the plate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a full set or Pro Armor plates on mine. Nice thickness, fit great and seem to take a beating just fine. The swing arm plate has full coverage to protect the brake rotor and sprocket and even has a poly chain guide. Chassis plate and a-arm plates have tabs that come up and protect the front side of the parts they were meant to protect (not just the bottom).

Whichever plates you buy though, I agree be careful when tightening the bolts into the aluminum frame. I stripped mine out. A Helicoil fixed that problem though, and made the threads stronger than ever. Foam weatherstripping tape is a great idea all along the frame. Otherwide it'll rattle like crazy. Also, if you decide to go with a set of A-Arm skids make sure you have ample clearance between them and the chassis plate. If they are to close you will get all sorts of nasty noises.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like the .250" for the swing arm (It takes a beating when you get into big rocks), and .190 for the rest. Pro Armor makes an awesome swing arm skid plate; it's a tank. I bought "cheap" ones for the chassis and a-arms, which ended up being surprisingly nice (From j-n-j-racing on eBay). When I bust those all up, it will be Pro Armor all around.

The extra weight from the .250 skid on the swing arm is completely negligible, as is the loss of 1/8th of clearance.

The stock plastic ones are, as anticipated, as useless as tits on a wall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (Slaytanic454 @ Aug 11 2008, 11:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11003
I like the .250" for the swing arm (It takes a beating when you get into big rocks), and .190 for the rest. Pro Armor makes an awesome swing arm skid plate; it's a tank. I bought "cheap" ones for the chassis and a-arms, which ended up being surprisingly nice (From j-n-j-racing on eBay). When I bust those all up, it will be Pro Armor all around.

The extra weight from the .250 skid on the swing arm is completely negligible, as is the loss of 1/8th of clearance.

The stock plastic ones are, as anticipated, as useless as tits on a wall.
when i purchased my kfx450r it was 1-year old, and had less than 6 hours on it. the guy rode it twice. the first thing i did was install full skids. cant remember the name. when i took the swing arm stock plastic(WHAT A JOKE) off it was broken already. skids are a must. the only thing i do not like about the quad is the ground clearance. where i ride it can go from dirt, to sandy area to shell rock, to boulders, 2 weeks ago i popped the left front tire. also i do not like the RADIAL tires. the side walls are too soft, and when the tire is flat, it is FLAT. rim on the ground flat. i have ran bias ply tires flat, and you can still ride them. just my 2-cents.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts