Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i knwo the stock gearing is 14/38 and alot of people go up in the front. But as of now my quad is stock performance wise and i was wondering if i went to a 15t front if it wouldnt have enough torque or it would bogue or something?

ive seen some other people running it but im just wondering how it will affect it with a stock quad.

Thanks,
Ryan.

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (k4f5x0r @ May 4 2008, 08:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8606
i knwo the stock gearing is 14/38 and alot of people go up in the front. But as of now my quad is stock performance wise and i was wondering if i went to a 15t front if it wouldnt have enough torque or it would bogue or something?

ive seen some other people running it but im just wondering how it will affect it with a stock quad.

Thanks,
Ryan.
I put the 15 on the front while stock, it was ok 1-3 gear but bogged too much in 4 & 5....switched back to the stocker until i upgraded..

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can alway go down one in the back. Gives a little taller gears. But cost more for the sproket.

Larry

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about going down one in the rear but i really do not want to have to take apart the whole axle swingarm mess. unless there is a way that you dont have to?

·
Registered
220 Posts
remove the rear wheel on that side.

Adjust chain adjuster all the way in. Take chain off of sprocket. Undo the 4 bolts on sprocket. The sprocket will go over the spindle. Do in reverse order and your done. Thats exactly what I did. I used the renthal brand from Rocky Mountain

Larry

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i could easily replace the rear sprocket without having to take apart the hub or anything? its as easy as taking the rim off loosening the chain and thats it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then thats what ill be doingg. Ive noticed even stock that im pinned in a second in our trails. a little more top end and bit less toqrue would be perfect for me.

thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have always been told that 1 up on the front is equal to 2 down in the rear. The difference is the the front effects the torque of the motor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
QUOTE (MXrider38 @ Aug 21 2008, 06:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11266
I have always been told that 1 up on the front is equal to 2 down in the rear. The difference is the the front effects the torque of the motor.
so.. either going to a 15 up front or dropping 1 or 2 in the rear will both give you taller gears, but the front changes the torque? how so? and another question. do you need to get a different chain to work with different toothed sprockets or no?

·
Registered
297 Posts
if you go 15t up front you can use the stock chain since you can adjust to get more slack, or if you go smaller in the rear you can adjust for that too but I am not sure how much before you need to cut some links out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
so i ordered a 15t renthal and i was looking at my bike and i realized i don't know how to take my chain off. what's the easiest way? and then how does the sprocket come out?

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (AdaM @ Aug 31 2008, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11457
so i ordered a 15t renthal and i was looking at my bike and i realized i don't know how to take my chain off. what's the easiest way? and then how does the sprocket come out?
You will need to loosen up the four bolts on the swing arm and adjust the wheels forward, it'll have enough slack so you can take the front sprocket off...you will need extra slack to get the 15 on... You have to remove the washer and unbolt that one big bolt, may need an impact wrench or perhaps you'll get lucky and it'll come right off..once thats loose just slide it off and put the new one on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Aug 31 2008, 04:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11458
You will need to loosen up the four bolts on the swing arm and adjust the wheels forward, it'll have enough slack so you can take the front sprocket off...you will need extra slack to get the 15 on... You have to remove the washer and unbolt that one big bolt, may need an impact wrench or perhaps you'll get lucky and it'll come right off..once thats loose just slide it off and put the new one on.
i adjusted the wheels as far forward as i can but i can't get enough slack to take the chain off. did yours come right off or did it take some force?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I didnt take the chain off..I pulled the sprocket off the spline and once it was off I slid towards the rear of the chain and essentially "walked it off" the chain..just spint it backwards and it should come out..same process with the new one..get it as far forward as you can and walk the teeth into the chain sliding it forward..Ive changed mine several times without any issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
about the giant nut holding the sprocket and washer on, it's a regular thread right? counter clockwise to loosen? cause i just can't break it loose. i bent that washer tab back and tried a breaker bar with a 24" pipe on top of that for leverage and can't get it off. i put it in gear and stood on the brake and it won't budge. any help?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I took mine to the dealer..I briefly tried to get it off and it was a bear... you can take it to any mechanic shop, they can pop it right off with an impact for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ya i realized i know someone who has an impact drill. i borrowed it from him and now i have a bigger front sprocket on my bike!
the renthal is thicker like i heard though. the lock washer barely catches the spline. so i'll see how it holds up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts