Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bottom of steering stem call “Steering Shaft Ball Joint” is absolutely a weak area on the KFX450. I went through (4) of them so far. I am working of a fix but its going to be a little complicated because unfortunately the piece is not rebuildable so I am having it machined to except a floating bearing. Have any of you had any issue with yours?

RJ

# 59266-0026 STEERING SHAFT JOINT-BALL 1 - $81.22

·
Registered
171 Posts
mines new so haven't notied yet. It does turn super easy compared to my old raptor 350 and friends ltz400. is the play side to side or up and down?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (CarFanatic @ May 28 2008, 03:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9469
mines new so haven't notied yet. It does turn super easy compared to my old raptor 350 and friends ltz400. is the play side to side or up and down?
Up and down... it's like a heim joint and when you land hard it smashes down creating play. Heim joints are not designed to handle downward force and this is a very poor design.

·
Registered
24 Posts
QUOTE (madracing @ May 18 2008, 03:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9157
The bottom of steering stem call “Steering Shaft Ball Joint” is absolutely a weak area on the KFX450. I went through (4) of them so far. I am working of a fix but its going to be a little complicated because unfortunately the piece is not rebuildable so I am having it machined to except a floating bearing. Have any of you had any issue with yours?

RJ

# 59266-0026 STEERING SHAFT JOINT-BALL 1 - $81.22

I have side to side play as well as up and down play. I have pulled the steering stem and inspected the joint. all apears good, but there is still play when put back together. I have not yet replaced the joint, is there an aftermarket joint that would replace the piece of [email protected]# stock one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts