Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (ekfraz @ Aug 5 2008, 06:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10817
I was wanting to know what is involved in replacing the steering stem on a 2008 KFX 450? mine got bent when it slipped on the ramp while unloading it.

You must take the bars off, remove your front plastic, remove the top clamp, remove the tie-rod ends,
remove the bottom ball joint, pull the stem out through the top, switch out ball joint to the new steering stem,
slide the stem and ball joint back down, put it all back together

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (MileHighRider @ Aug 6 2008, 09:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10834
You must take the bars off, remove your front plastic, remove the top clamp, remove the tie-rod ends,
remove the bottom ball joint, pull the stem out through the top, switch out ball joint to the new steering stem,
slide the stem and ball joint back down, put it all back together
Are there any special tools required? approx. how long does it take to change out?

· Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (ekfraz @ Aug 6 2008, 08:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10835
Are there any special tools required? approx. how long does it take to change out?

No special tools - a little over an hour

Regrease the top clamp when your putting it back together

· Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (ekfraz @ Aug 6 2008, 05:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10847
Thanks for the help, I was looking at it and it looks like it can be done with the front fender on, is there other clamps hiding?
No - Once you get the plastic off you can see the top clamp behind all of the cables

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (ekfraz @ Aug 7 2008, 09:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10878
I took the plastocs off and gained access to the bop bolts but I can't figure out how to get the bottom bolt off, it seems to be recessed inside the frame with no access, there is another bracket that had I believe is 2 torx head screws and was wanting to know if they need to be removed also?

· Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (ekfraz @ Aug 8 2008, 12:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10908
I took the plastocs off and gained access to the bop bolts but I can't figure out how to get the bottom bolt off, it seems to be recessed inside the frame with no access, there is another bracket that had I believe is 2 torx head screws and was wanting to know if they need to be removed also?
You need to remove the two torx screws from the very bottom - you can't get to the bottom bolt until you pull the entire steering stem off of the quad - you will pull the steering stem and the bottom joint out together

· Registered
27 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.