Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds crazy. We are considering removing the fuel injection and installing a new FCR carb off of an '07 CRF and the corresponding TRX thumb throttle on our '08 KFX. The shop I deal with has done the carb conversion for several LTR450's for local Pro-Am MX guys and they perform flawlessly and performance is off the chain. I looked at and rode one yesterday. WOW. Plus, there's no hacking. It's a pretty simple straightforward swap.

I'm considering doing it because I'm fed up with try to figure out what's wrong with my bike. The motor is built, and puts out excellent HP, but will lean itself out once in awhile, and stumbles, sputters etc. Then it will go back to running fine. I know of other race bikes that do this and proceed to blow up which I don't really want to do.

Anyone seen this done or have any input?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I"m assuming you went back to the dealer? What's the full cost to convert? I've gotten used to the FI and like the easy starts and wouldnt convert unless there was a serious issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. The dealer is worthless. Especially since the motor is heavily modified now.
I can get the new Honda carb for around $450.00, the TRX throttle is around $75.00, and the cable is $25.00. That's it. I figured I can sell the Power Commander and recover some of that.
Four of the carb converted Suzuki's ran the nationals this past weekend at Pell City Alabama. All four ran flawlessly and performed very well.
After looking at what's involved and how simple it is, I'm going to go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
QUOTE (fastrnrik @ Mar 31 2008, 03:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7789
No. The dealer is worthless. Especially since the motor is heavily modified now.
I can get the new Honda carb for around $450.00, the TRX throttle is around $75.00, and the cable is $25.00. That's it. I figured I can sell the Power Commander and recover some of that.
Four of the carb converted Suzuki's ran the nationals this past weekend at Pell City Alabama. All four ran flawlessly and performed very well.
After looking at what's involved and how simple it is, I'm going to go ahead and do it.
what about the tank? .....sell me the tb for cheap

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (fastrnrik @ Mar 31 2008, 07:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7789
How much you askin for that pc?
im gonna be needin one soon as i order my dasa

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll keep the tank. We'll remove the fuel pump. We've figured out a billet plate/petwooter assembly. A very simple deal. I ordered the carb today, but it will be a few weeks before we can change it over. I'll take lots of pics.

I don't know how much on the Power Commander. I'll put it on here first before it hits ebay

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (fastrnrik @ Apr 1 2008, 08:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7822
I'll keep the tank. We'll remove the fuel pump. We've figured out a billet plate/petwooter assembly. A very simple deal. I ordered the carb today, but it will be a few weeks before we can change it over. I'll take lots of pics.

I don't know how much on the Power Commander. I'll put it on here first before it hits ebay
hey thataway to be

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am very interested in this project. I was looking into it myself and looking at the wiring diagram for the bike. The ecm which controlls everything including ignition, will it be effected? Will you have to buy a ecm/cdi box for the Kx450f dirtbike?

Will you be able to take off all the silly sensors and keep the ignition working? I know the swap is possible so let me know how it works....Ric

·
Registered
148 Posts
heard baldwin doing this and gaining 2 hp out of the deal. im been thinking on doing this to. also been thinking of swaping a kxf450 bike motor in. thats if this ever blows. just gona do a swap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My first thought was the same. Just get a KXF dirt bike harness, carb, etc. and swap it all out. I'm told on the 'Zuki's it's a REAL simple deal. run the TPS wires to the carb and that's pretty much it. I won't really know until we get right down to doing the swap, what little things will be affacted?
I thought about the dirt bike swap as well, but the 4 speed tranny changed my mind.

I'd heard the same thing about Baldwin switching to carbs. When I spoke to Mark Baldwin in January he claimed to know nothing about this?

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who wants a carb. LOL

·
Registered
285 Posts
for the purpose of weight reduction, but not for power.....but rideability is way better with the efi.....but u got issues with yours not working right

·
Registered
86 Posts
ive been thinking about putting the kxf450 motor in my bike but i was told people have had problems mounting the carb because the gas tanke is too low and a throttle body isnt as tall as a carb. If anyone happens to spot a kxf engine for cheap on ebay or something let me know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The carb swap is a easy deal .You would want to use a 44mill carb. dan from dasa or racer edge has done many times kaw,suz both you well see a good four horse on fully modfied kfx my motor with dans engine work is pumping out 64 horse on mr9 fuel good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any updates on this? If it truly is only a couple ponies, I would be very hesitant to consider it--especially considering that EFI is newer, and as the tuners get more and more accustomed to lap tops and bored throttle bodies, they're going to start letting go of their beloved, almost black-magic like lust for FCR carbs...

EFI can compensate for a lot of atmosperic conditions, and can be tuned trackside, without need for tearing things apart, in a matter of seconds...

·
Registered
171 Posts
this makes no sense to me... Fuel injection should make more power, more linar power aswell.. I dont understand how a carb would be better??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts