Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright quick question, we went riding yesterday and my mighty kfx didnt give me a bit of trouble during normal operation but like when we took breaks i noticed when it was sitting in neutral i could stab the throttle quick and repeatedly and it would nearly bog down and quit...ive achieved this many times on carbed quads (warming em up ect.) but never came close to it on the kfx before yeaterday so what gives? do i need to clean something? if so how? or is it normal and i justy might not have noticed it before?

thanks for any tips/help..

·
Registered
285 Posts
they make them fool proof so u dont blow the thing up.....continuiously hitting the lower rev limiter in neutral may start to foul the plug out in nuetral due to the ignition system taking the spark away

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so then i need to change the spark plug? i wasnt laying on it or anything i was just messin around and giving little short revs and noticed the bog/skipping..... so ill try a sparkplug and see what happens, to be honest i thought a sparkplug would last longer than a year...

·
Registered
285 Posts
QUOTE (KS Raiden @ Jun 18 2008, 10:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9800
so then i need to change the spark plug? i wasnt laying on it or anything i was just messin around and giving little short revs and noticed the bog/skipping..... so ill try a sparkplug and see what happens, to be honest i thought a sparkplug would last longer than a year...
a dirty air filter could cause it to foul out prematurely

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (KS Raiden @ Jun 18 2008, 10:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9800
Even if I don't need to, I change my spark plug twice a year...for the few $s it costs it worth the piece of mind..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks guys, but lastly how do i get the tank off? i started to last night but it was caught on that hose that goes to the thottlebody and i wasnt sure which side to disconnect (to avoid gas leak) or even how to undo those wierd looking connectors?

as for the 2stroke talk i actually had a banshee at one time and got really tired really quick of the maintenence involved then traded it for a 440ex and liked it wayy more and since everything lasted forever on it im just kinda stuck on the thougth that all 4bangers are like that....

·
Registered
285 Posts
QUOTE (KS Raiden @ Jun 19 2008, 07:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9823
ok thanks guys, but lastly how do i get the tank off? i started to last night but it was caught on that hose that goes to the thottlebody and i wasnt sure which side to disconnect (to avoid gas leak) or even how to undo those wierd looking connectors?

as for the 2stroke talk i actually had a banshee at one time and got really tired really quick of the maintenence involved then traded it for a 440ex and liked it wayy more and since everything lasted forever on it im just kinda stuck on the thougth that all 4bangers are like that....
no need to fully remove the tank....just take off the rh side plasticand tank mount bolts and prop up the tank with a 2x4....this will give u enough room to get at the plug with the right tools...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright thanks i got to the plug and oddly enough it didnt even look half burnt, so i put a new one in anyway and cleaned the filter and still it cuts out a little in neutral when i stab at it, but when im riding along and pull the clutch in and do it it catches each time and goes fine so i dont know, im not gonna worry with it seeing as how the warranty ran out 2 weeks ago so maybe theres a little air or water somewhere that needs to work itslef out

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (KS Raiden @ Jun 20 2008, 08:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=9899
alright thanks i got to the plug and oddly enough it didnt even look half burnt, so i put a new one in anyway and cleaned the filter and still it cuts out a little in neutral when i stab at it, but when im riding along and pull the clutch in and do it it catches each time and goes fine so i dont know, im not gonna worry with it seeing as how the warranty ran out 2 weeks ago so maybe theres a little air or water somewhere that needs to work itslef out
It would be a bad experience if it cuts out as you're entering a jump but it sounds like you've got it resolved now..and of course the day the warranty expires something goes wrong.. thats typical

·
Registered
11 Posts
It might be this. I just found a weakness in the fuel system of the quad, it's the fuel filter located in the tank. It can't be replaced without changing the entire pump $400. To find out if that is what it is just take the pump out of the tank and look behind the two electrical connections near the base of the pump. You will see the filter pick up, it should be white in color, if it is black then it is clogged. I am working on an external pump and filter right now. I was competing in the Baja 500 and the filter got clogged, made it to the finish, but lost a lot of time. that was the second time it happened. I had to have a pump driven down to mexico to be able to compete in the race, then that one was done after one race. Just ordered another one for this weekends race, after that I will have all the testing done on the external one. Visit my website and look for the link to "KMS" they will have all the answers you need.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think a prefilter at the mouth of the tank may help alleviate this. Another alternative might be to remove the filter in the tank and put a glass inline filter in place outside of the tank. I know some LTR guys that run this way that way they can see if it is getting clogged a little better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (raredirt @ Jun 25 2008, 04:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=10023
I think a prefilter at the mouth of the tank may help alleviate this. Another alternative might be to remove the filter in the tank and put a glass inline filter in place outside of the tank. I know some LTR guys that run this way that way they can see if it is getting clogged a little better.
thats what I did:

·
Registered
70 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts