Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out today for a ride was having a great day until i managed to get hung up on a rock under my swingarm i was olny in 1st gear not realizing the tires were still spinning foward i put it in reverse bang the gear box seized up on me it will start but dies when i put it in 1st or even reverse even dies when its in neutral and i release the clutch!wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gotta bring it to the dealer tuesday and hopefully warrenty covers whatever is wrong w/ it!i have no luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (ononewheel @ Feb 8 2009, 12:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16006
went out today for a ride was having a great day until i managed to get hung up on a rock under my swingarm i was olny in 1st gear not realizing the tires were still spinning foward i put it in reverse bang the gear box seized up on me it will start but dies when i put it in 1st or even reverse even dies when its in neutral and i release the clutch!wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gotta bring it to the dealer tuesday and hopefully warrenty covers whatever is wrong w/ it!i have no luck!

ahh that sucks man sounds like my kind of luck with wooter, well hopfully warrenty covers man.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got quad to dealer they told me both my crank cases are craked and need to be replaced they are in the process of taking the engine apart to check out the internal damage but good news warrenty will cover the whole thing bad thing is i wont be riding for three weeks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Man that sucks. Was it cause by you putting it in reverse while it was still going in 1st or did a rock hit it when you got hung up?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (masterp0606 @ Feb 13 2009, 12:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16077
Man that sucks. Was it cause by you putting it in reverse while it was still going in 1st or did a rock hit it when you got hung up?
it was my fault i guess but like i said i was in 1st gear and stuck i pulled the clutch in and put it in reverse then the bike stalled and tranny seized!the kawi guy told me they had simular issues and ive also in the past had been having a problem w/ the cable not disingaging fully after putting the bike in reverse so while im downsifting sometimes it would go into reverse!

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (ononewheel @ Feb 12 2009, 06:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16072
got quad to dealer they told me both my crank cases are craked and need to be replaced they are in the process of taking the engine apart to check out the internal damage but good news warrenty will cover the whole thing bad thing is i wont be riding for three weeks!

well thats good at least they covered it, that saved u alot of money.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya well see im not fully covered yet there supose to get back at m this week once they get the engine torn apart!if not ill be buying a engine an repairing that on later!

·
Registered
112 Posts
ononewheel im glad that ur dealer is honoring ur warranty ! mine doesnt even know how long they are . told me today that my quad was not covered that it was past 6 months . my tranny was doing the same thing just before it seized n locked into reverse . but i slung my chain awhile back n it would knock sometimes in 4th n 5th gear . but worked fine in othere gears inculeding rev . as all of u that have had warranty work dont its through the dealer n u cant deal directly with kawi . n since i had a factory race mechanic do the work to mine and not carry it to the dealer whos service manager doesnt even know how long the warranty is . their checking to see what the policy is on replaceing the parts ! thats all im asking for . ill pay the labor just to keep the idiots outa my engine . i purchased it on 4/16/08 and its been taken very good care of . and yes i spent the extra $549 for the 24mo extended warranty . id be glad to just have that money back n they can drop they good times protection plan all together n ill maintain it myself !

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (#3'skfx @ Feb 17 2009, 07:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16133
ononewheel im glad that ur dealer is honoring ur warranty ! mine doesnt even know how long they are . told me today that my quad was not covered that it was past 6 months . my tranny was doing the same thing just before it seized n locked into reverse . but i slung my chain awhile back n it would knock sometimes in 4th n 5th gear . but worked fine in othere gears inculeding rev . as all of u that have had warranty work dont its through the dealer n u cant deal directly with kawi . n since i had a factory race mechanic do the work to mine and not carry it to the dealer whos service manager doesnt even know how long the warranty is . their checking to see what the policy is on replaceing the parts ! thats all im asking for . ill pay the labor just to keep the idiots outa my engine . i purchased it on 4/16/08 and its been taken very good care of . and yes i spent the extra $549 for the 24mo extended warranty . id be glad to just have that money back n they can drop they good times protection plan all together n ill maintain it myself !
ya that sucks im not a fan of extended warrentys think its a waste but in your case if they help you out it will be worth it!gears are pretty cheap they range from 25-50 bucks depending on which one id say most of the money is labor which sucks i can help you get parts if you get stuck let me no!well see how i make out but honestly i had many problem the 1st 3 months w/ my quad!the biggest was electrical but i hate bringing it to the dealer have a friend who ownes a bike shop whos a top notch mechanic so i talked w/him and figured out the problem myself!my bike would just die id be riding 2nd 3rd gear and dead no power nothing at 1st it kept blowing fuses then the fuses were fine it would just die the fuse blowing problem was the result of the front brake lever switch to activate the brake light it was grounding out and getting stuck in the on position i replaced it and stopped blowing fuses!but next ride out the quad would still die!ended up being my main fuse harnnes was completly coroded i fixed that myself so far no problems!next thing was the reverse mechanism now and again id be downshifting and go right in2 reverse!bought a new cable when i removed the old 1 i found the cable was mangled were it goes under the battery causing it to be hard moving and getting it stuck!should have brought it to kawi then but i didnt!now the tranny thing will see how i make out!

·
Registered
112 Posts
oneonewheel i really hope they atleast do u right . i cant see how the reverse cable is in any way ur fault ! the mechanic is only chargeing me $250 the rest of the $1100 is parts i may just take u up on the parts . he just priced them at retail . iknow i shoulda carried it to the dealer but when the service manager tells me mines outa warranty without even knowing what model it is . id just soom go ahead and pay someone who knows what their doing n not take the chance on them prolly screwing it up then on the second trip makeing me pay for it anyway . mytranny was fine till it started doing the same thing urs did . i loosened the cable to the point i couldnt engage reverse and on the next lap it jumped outa 4th gear n hasnt worked since .

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya just get me a list of parts ill give you my cost i can usually save 10-20 percent but oem parts maybe less but still cheaper than kawi getn thm 4 you let me no!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good deal . I'll get the list of everything I need . The best price's I can find is $326 shipped for a new case n $45 for each gear but have to pay shipping on each of them .

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (#3'skfx @ Feb 19 2009, 11:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16165
Good deal . I'll get the list of everything I need . The best price's I can find is $326 shipped for a new case n $45 for each gear but have to pay shipping on each of them .
ya 326 on motorsport.com for both cases free shipping also!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well 2day i was contacted by the dealer were my quads gettn fixed so warrenty covers whole job which is worth 2500 bucks!funny thing the service guy is askin me if ever i had the top end of the motor apart which i tell him nope never have olny mods ive done were cosmetic!so he tells me why hes asking is when they took the motor apart they noticed that one of the cam clips or holders was in my tranny!wtf!which now hes thinking heres my problem i dont no he also said in rare occassions it can be a manufactures defect i dont no but this is what he told me!so i should be riding again in 2 more weeks besides that part both my engine cases were crackd/and three gears in the tranny!he believes that part got stuck between two of my gears forcing them apart and craking the engine cases!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hope they don't pin it on u bro ! Mabe they'll do the right thing . I'll have mine done in acouple days to ! Damn I miss rideing n going to miss the only national we have in this area

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (#3'skfx @ Mar 6 2009, 02:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16386
Hope they don't pin it on u bro ! Mabe they'll do the right thing . I'll have mine done in acouple days to ! Damn I miss rideing n going to miss the only national we have in this area
no its all set warrenty covers it so ill be back on the trails in 2 more weeks or so cant wait ivee been borrowing all my buddies quads tha past few weeks and i miss the kawi!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same boat !! I've been rideing my wifes kfx700 . It's. Nowhere the same as mine ! My buddies have been trying to get me to hit the track n ride theirs. Not the same ! My kfx with a filter pipe n tires is as fast as their race yfz's n Trx's. Damn I miss it !!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well its been two months and yesturday i finally got my quad back!so far it seems to be running great ill find out for sure as ill be going out sunday for a nice long ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i just put my k&n flter in along w/ a filter lid boy what a differance that just made!the bike sounds meen!after this weekend as long as no problems i got a pc3 along w/ a dmc dual after burner exhaust to put n should be a good fit!

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (ononewheel @ Apr 4 2009, 03:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16745
well its been two months and yesturday i finally got my quad back!so far it seems to be running great ill find out for sure as ill be going out sunday for a nice long ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i just put my k&n flter in along w/ a filter lid boy what a differance that just made!the bike sounds meen!after this weekend as long as no problems i got a pc3 along w/ a dmc dual after burner exhaust to put n should be a good fit!
Glad you got it back and it all worked out for you, must have been a good feeling to finally pick it up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
112 Posts
happy to hear its home ! i hope ur troubles with it are over . did they charge u anything to fix their mistake ? in all fairness u didnt run the cable and in no way should be held responsible for damages kawi caused .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts