Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you guys who've had your KFX's for a while and have done some mods. This is my first Kawasaki that I've owned. I've always owned Honda's in the past but chose the Kawasaki over the Honda 450. My experience with Honda's is once you uncork them they REALLY come alive. I've ran two tanks of gas through my new KFX and I do like the power but I'm wondering how much a airbox and pipe will liven it up?? I've already ordered a 13 tooth front sprocket to help with woods riding. Will uncorking it help any with bottom end grunt. Also it feels like once you get into the upper rev's the power just levels off. Again will uncorking it help this in anyway. Thanks for all of your feed back!!

Mike

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Mikey @ Feb 26 2008, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6888
Got a question for you guys who've had your KFX's for a while and have done some mods. This is my first Kawasaki that I've owned. I've always owned Honda's in the past but chose the Kawasaki over the Honda 450. My experience with Honda's is once you uncork them they REALLY come alive. I've ran two tanks of gas through my new KFX and I do like the power but I'm wondering how much a airbox and pipe will liven it up?? I've already ordered a 13 tooth front sprocket to help with woods riding. Will uncorking it help any with bottom end grunt. Also it feels like once you get into the upper rev's the power just levels off. Again will uncorking it help this in anyway. Thanks for all of your feed back!!

Mike
You will practically have a brand new bike once you change your intake, add a pipe & PCIII, the power gains are dramatic, there's tons of threads here on this..good luck and have fun

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (offroadhunter @ Feb 26 2008, 04:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6891
You will practically have a brand new bike once you change your intake, add a pipe & PCIII, the power gains are dramatic, there's tons of threads here on this..good luck and have fun
I would love to hear what mods others have made and what brand they used and there opinion on the results. Thanks!!

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd start of with the exhaust/intake/FMI and go from there. If you still want more power go with a set of Web cams, high compression piston, port & polished head, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (Mikey @ Feb 26 2008, 07:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6897
I would love to hear what mods others have made and what brand they used and there opinion on the results. Thanks!!

Mike

Mike, quite frankly, there was dramatic change in my new '08 KFX with simply the addition of an aftermarket EFI controller (I happened to buy a Trinity Stage IV controller, but by all accounts, the Dynojet Power Commander III is the way to go). Whereas before I had slight pinging, running out of breath, etc. on the dunes, the simple controller made it pull HARD everywhere. Now, I have just installed a FuelATV complete intake system (Airbox, filter, intake tube, etc.) and a Dasa 13" full system and it RIPS!!!!! Sure, just up the street for now as I just installed them the night before last, but it feels like a freakin' animal now. I am chomping at the bit to hit the dunes next weekend.... Am I biased? Hmm... nah. I can afford any quad I want, and the dealer I bought it from deals in them all (Yam, Honda, Kawi, Suzook, CanAm, Polaris, KTM, Kymco). But that aluminum frame, reverse, and it's very light weight (yes, it does feel MUCH lighter than the other Japanese competition by a simple "lift" on the grab bar--I tried them all...) sealed the deal for me. Oh yeah, and it looks mean as heck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
13 tooth? thats way small even for woods. I jumped to a 15 tooth front after I added the PC-3. The gearing feels really good now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I upgraded to the 13" DASA exhaust, Power Commander PC III usb, FuelATV Intake (no airbox) and using the fuel map provided on FuelATV's web site.

Doing these 'big 3' upgrades makes the quad fun all over again. Running a 13 tooth front sprocket will be way too low after the big 3 upgrade. I'm running stock gearing and it runs great! It has great low end grunt and at the upper RPM's it just rips!

Good luck in your quest for more power!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Installing the big 3 on mine next weekend. Got a Motoworks SR4 Carbon full system on the way, PCIII, and an EHS Racing air box cover with Outwears. It's to wet where I am to go without an airbox, or even the cover. But with the EHS cover all the air gets in, but the water and dirt stays out.

I also bought a 13T sprocket for the front. Is it even worth it once I do the other upgrades, or should I just throw it on ebay?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started out with a PCIII, Full ESR exhaust, with the airlid off, plus a basic MAP from the Dyno jet website for aftermarket pipe and lid off. Thing really came alive. It actually felt almost 2-stroky, you know, hit the top end powerband and come unglued. I was impressed.

Then a I added the Fuel Intake set-ip and it made more power but everywhere and smoothed out the powewrband so it doesn't come to this rush of power at a certain RPM, it's got power everywhere now.

For only three bolt on mods, it's impressive. Next engine mod is a 3 degree advance keyway for the ignition in lue of the module. $5 part for 1-2 HP.

Maybe upgrade cams later but I need to get this thing handling better now. It was darty before, now it's even more, I'll have a stearing stabilizer on before I do anything else. Then add a 15T front, but don't want any more spped until the stabilizer is on (ok, yes I do, but I need to have a little common sense before I hurt myself)

Luckely I've worn my stock tires down enough that I'll be getting a set of Holeshots or Razzars.

Running 6 paddle hauler extremes at the dunes, this thing is a wheelie machine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wait until you install the bolt on parts before making up your mind before installing the 13 tooth. You will see a differnece.

Dirt, whats this about the advance keyway? Ive heard about it but not really read up on it. Can you run it with the PC3?

Larry

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Atving4Christ @ Mar 2 2008, 04:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6973
Wait until you install the bolt on parts before making up your mind before installing the 13 tooth. You will see a differnece.

Dirt, whats this about the advance keyway? Ive heard about it but not really read up on it. Can you run it with the PC3?

Larry
Id Stay Stock On The Gear.Go For The Pipe,Then Powercommander.then air box.when you do this you will want to back to stock gear or higher.going to low on gear will take away the top.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I really like the Two Brothers pipe I will be selling two used dasa pipes they great for me but I am just really impressed by the Two Brothers pipe in every way

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (Dirt @ Mar 2 2008, 12:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6971
I started out with a PCIII, Full ESR exhaust, with the airlid off, plus a basic MAP from the Dyno jet website for aftermarket pipe and lid off. Thing really came alive. It actually felt almost 2-stroky, you know, hit the top end powerband and come unglued. I was impressed.

Then a I added the Fuel Intake set-ip and it made more power but everywhere and smoothed out the powewrband so it doesn't come to this rush of power at a certain RPM, it's got power everywhere now.

For only three bolt on mods, it's impressive. Next engine mod is a 3 degree advance keyway for the ignition in lue of the module. $5 part for 1-2 HP.

Maybe upgrade cams later but I need to get this thing handling better now. It was darty before, now it's even more, I'll have a stearing stabilizer on before I do anything else. Then add a 15T front, but don't want any more spped until the stabilizer is on (ok, yes I do, but I need to have a little common sense before I hurt myself)

Luckely I've worn my stock tires down enough that I'll be getting a set of Holeshots or Razzars.

Running 6 paddle hauler extremes at the dunes, this thing is a wheelie machine.
whats this (For only three bolt on mods, it's impressive. Next engine mod is a 3 degree advance keyway for the ignition in lue of the module. $5 part for 1-2 HP.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well fella's....I finally did it. Ordered a HMF Sport Slip-on, HMF Optimizer and 15 tooth front sprocket yesterday. Can't wait to get them in!! Looks like I'm looking at about 2 weeks for the pipe to get here. By that time I should have recovered from my broken wrist and be ready to go again!!

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Crazy I thought I was the only one with a hmf pipe on my kawi. I had a extra pipe laying around from my yfz450 had to cut and fit but it looks sweet now. I still love my old school tc shorty can on my mx yfz. Good luke with hmf pipe they make good mid power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my mods on my kfx450 rite now i have no airbox just a pod filter a dynojet commander, i also made some of my own shrouds, polished intake and exhaust, fmf megabomb header,i have to intercoolers going to my radiator, maxxis razr all round. an my hmf pipe, i took the end cap off my hmf pipe it looks awsome, i need to think of more mods tho, rite now my bike is in the shop one of my friends thought it would be funni to dump water in the intake when i was polishing them it took me about two months to figure that out tho, the rings on my piston welded together so when i tried starting it it [email protected] up my whole top end. 2000$ and they are trying to trick me out to get more money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts