Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 '08 kfx 450's i just got them and they have 2 rides on them. one is the white and black and the other is green and black. the green one i ride pretty hard. the white one my dad rides most the time and isn't near as hard as me. Him and my mom went cruzing around. and the white one died. she pulled up next to my dad let it idle for about 30 sec and it died. when we tried to re fire it ran for a few sec then died. after we turn teh key off and cycle it a few time it will fire then die. The fuel pump cycles and stuff but the "FI" light is staying on. not sure what it could be?!?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (slo08 @ Jan 13 2009, 11:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15608
I have 2 '08 kfx 450's i just got them and they have 2 rides on them. one is the white and black and the other is green and black. the green one i ride pretty hard. the white one my dad rides most the time and isn't near as hard as me. Him and my mom went cruzing around. and the white one died. she pulled up next to my dad let it idle for about 30 sec and it died. when we tried to re fire it ran for a few sec then died. after we turn teh key off and cycle it a few time it will fire then die. The fuel pump cycles and stuff but the "FI" light is staying on. not sure what it could be?!?!

I just had a similar issue. In my case the fuel pump relay went bad. It is currently at Kawasaki being replaced.

·
Registered
420 Posts
also check your main fuse plug see if it has any corrosion i had a similar problem w/ bike running then dieing i cleened it off w/ some dielectric spray and now bike is running perfect!the dealer were i bought it leaves all there bike out in rain so from sitting arouned the terminals were gettn corroded and i was loosing my electrical connection!but ive also heard about the feul pump thing to so check into them both!

·
Registered
420 Posts
check your electrical connections under the hood!

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (slo08 @ Jan 14 2009, 06:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15625
but the fuel pump is running
Mine was running too at first. It began intermittent. I was on vacation for 2 weeks. It started towards the end of vacation. I began noticing that it would die and then when I truned on the key sometimes the fuel pump would run for shorter times or not at all. Cycle the key a couple of times and it would work again. Then sometimes it would run and then when you got on it the engine would act like it was starving for fuel. The bad part for me was that I was entered into a HS race that last weekend. It stalled on me a few times during practice and finally died. Had to have the tow of shame back to trailer..

Kawi is saying that the Gunnar kill switch I installed that week is the culprit. The mechanic there states that he feels it was "adding voltage" to the system and burnt out the relay. I don't agree but once I get it back I will dive further into that. It is connected as Gunnar instructed and I cannot see where there is any way that it could be adding / bleeding extra voltage. It may be possible that the switch is bad and is adding resistance that in turn are driving up the amps which may have burnt out the relay. Will let you know what I find.

Just a note... i have only owned the bike about 7 weeks. Bought it new and it is an 08.

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my dad took it the stealership and they said that the coil went out. not sure if that would make the spark plug dry or not but who knows. i geuss teh last time my dad rode it it was poppin a little bit so the coil sounds like it could be. we will see in 5-7 days

1 - 8 of 8 Posts