Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one please help me with my reverse.

I bought this kfx450 literally last Saturday. I have about 12 hrs. on it. At about 9 or 10hrs. I used reverse quick and shifted back up into first gear.... a few minutes later I needed reverse again - It was NOT THERE! The thumb lever is fairly hard to push and there's just nothing there. It almost feel's like something is wrong with the cable --- like it won't engage the gear...

Would it be the tranny its self? or would all gears go if it was the tranny? It runs fine - I ripped it for a few more hours with out reverse. Dealer is telling me it will be 1-2 weeks. - I just spent over $7000 and less than 12 hrs on it --- and they want me to wait a week so they can fix the piece of wooter? Bull wooter - I will fix it myself... (As long as I don't have to split the case.. which is possible )

What do you think it is?

PLEASE HELP/SUGGEST!

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (orky @ Apr 8 2009, 09:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16795
Can some one please help me with my reverse.

I bought this kfx450 literally last Saturday. I have about 12 hrs. on it. At about 9 or 10hrs. I used reverse quick and shifted back up into first gear.... a few minutes later I needed reverse again - It was NOT THERE! The thumb lever is fairly hard to push and there's just nothing there. It almost feel's like something is wrong with the cable --- like it won't engage the gear...

Would it be the tranny its self? or would all gears go if it was the tranny? It runs fine - I ripped it for a few more hours with out reverse. Dealer is telling me it will be 1-2 weeks. - I just spent over $7000 and less than 12 hrs on it --- and they want me to wait a week so they can fix the piece of wooter? Bull wooter - I will fix it myself... (As long as I don't have to split the case.. which is possible )

What do you think it is?

PLEASE HELP/SUGGEST!
I would wait on the dealer but most likely all it is an adjustment in the cable. If the cable does not pull far enough then it will not on into reverse. See if you can make a time to drop it off and still ride it like it is till they can fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this a common problem with these things whether it be the cable or the actual reverse gear its self....? And what are some of the other common flaws with these machines?

THANKS!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Prolly not the gear . The what I called the plunger when u press the reverse button it pulls it up letting the tranny go into reverse It could be stuck .the cable could be pinched . Could bethe cable streched alil and needs adjusted if u attempt to adjust the cable any make sure u don't go to far if u do it will hold up the plunger and it'll go down in rev when ur trying to down shift to first and that's not a pretty thing to happen when ur rolling forward ! Couple of us have done that and I'd rather it doesn't happen to anybody else . I've got mine adjusted where it will barely let me get into reverse and I still try not to use it unless I have to . There's no one real problem with them that I know of .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured out the whole ordeal - It must have happened when I was reversing and didn't relize? I decided to check it out today and figured out immediatly that the mount for the elbow at the end of the cable down near the engine was twisted a littel bit. Just enough to stretch the cable so that I could'nt engage it. All I had to do was take a pair of needle nose pliers and get in there and twist it back real quick... It worked right away flawlessly.

No actual engine problems. Sweet! - I was nervous after reading a few places that the tranny's in these were not that bullet proof.

Thanks for inputs.

·
Registered
420 Posts
thats great news!just had my tranny rebuilt by kawi cause of a simular issue!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.